X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harmony of the Cosmos

Music from the stars.

Structure of stars revealed by 'music' they emit
    8 April 2011 Last updated at 07:41 Help The sounds emitted by stars light years away from Earth have been captured by British astronomers using Nasa's Kepler space telescope

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13009718

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Yes I saw/heard this! Had Holst been alive he might have rewritten his suite! It used to be said that as Pluto hadn't been discovered 'The Planets' wasn't complete, but I think Pluto has been downgraded and is no longer regarded as a planet?
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The medieval world had a great notion of the harmony of the spheres, that is that all music replicates a kind of divine harmony. Some recent scientific findings have tuned into the sounds that the universe is making , and it seems that certain stars based on their distance away from us give off varying levels of sound.
      What really impressed me in the above clip though, is that the largest star about 2 times larger than the sun, gives off a deep rumbling sound , which with a jolt I realized sounds eerily like the Eb major chord surging through the introduction of Wagner's Ring and is his leitmotif for the eternal that is beyond time and beyond the universe. Amazing!
      Last edited by Megan; 04-10-2011, 09:31 AM.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        Music from the stars.

Structure of stars revealed by 'music' they emit
        8 April 2011 Last updated at 07:41 Help The sounds emitted by stars light years away from Earth have been captured by British astronomers using Nasa's Kepler space telescope

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13009718

That was interesting! Not too long ago I ran across a clip that had the sounds of several of the planets, as well. I doubt that I could find it again as it was on a blog and that was several weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          That was interesting! Not too long ago I ran across a clip that had the sounds of several of the planets, as well. I doubt that I could find it again as it was on a blog and that was several weeks ago.
          How about this fascinating site.
          Saturn Kilometric Radiation.

Just click on audio to listen to the eerie sounds of Suturn's radio emmissions.

http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/spac.../cassini/SKR1/

Comment

Well, it would have been nice to know what they actually are talking about, because these stars and planets are certainly not emitting sounds that we are detecting, as sound cannot travel through space. If they are referring to radio emissions, then that isn't sound - it's actually light (or more precisely, invisible electromagnetic radiation). The sounds here are coming from us, choosing to interpret these emissions as sounds, and doing so in our own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              Well, it would have been nice to know what they actually are talking about, because these stars and planets are certainly not emitting sounds that we are detecting, as sound cannot travel through space. If they are referring to radio emissions, then that isn't sound - it's actually light (or more precisely, invisible electromagnetic radiation). The sounds here are coming from us, choosing to interpret these emissions as sounds, and doing so in our own way.
              Yes that thought occurred to me.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Chris,I did wonder about how the sound travelled too,but the report in the clip gives the impression that the sound is created by the stars.
                Writing in the journal Science, the team says the "music" created by the stars gives a much more accurate picture of their size and structure than was available previously.

Comment

Curiously, I found this Biblical reference , which is from the KJV. Job 38:7
                  http://www.lifeinthebible.com/108/

The Jerusalem bible says, 'to the joyful concert of the morning stars.

Comment

Curiously, I found this Biblical reference , which is from the KJV. Job 38:7
                    http://www.lifeinthebible.com/108/

The Jerusalem bible says, 'to the joyful concert of the morning stars.
                    Interesting Megan, what happens in the evening?!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Interesting Megan, what happens in the evening?!
                      The same thing I guess

Comment

I'm a bit wary of joining this thread, only becasue I had high blood pressure with a poster on another forum (which I will not advertise here!) about this subject. Anyway, the upshot of the heated "debate" was that the residual "sound" of the Big Bang is a B, three octaves below middle C, and that this is the universal, for all-time, reference tone, against which all other tones should be measured.
                        We are surrounded by a massive, universally sounding "B", everybody. Curiously, there is one bell in my local cathedral that does play a very low B (a considerably flat C, if I were to be precise). And very sinister it is, too.

Comment

Philip, no worries about blood pressure here, there is plenty harmony on this forum.
                          If the residual sound is a B and is now universal, what could have been the original sound of the Big Bang , I wonder.
                          I get the impression Wagner might have known a thing or two.
                          Last edited by Megan; 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Philip, no worries about blood pressure here, there is plenty harmony on this forum.
                            If the residual sound is a B and is now universal, what could have been the original sound of the Big Bang , I wonder.
                            It would have made no sound at all, as there was not yet any medium for the propagation of sound. And anyway, matter was not yet organized in the manner we are familiar with. If it even happened exactly as physicists currently believe, and who even knows about that!

Even if there is a residual "B" left over, I don't see why that should be a basis for comparison for other pitches. That seems rather arbitrary to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              Yes I saw/heard this! Had Holst been alive he might have rewritten his suite! It used to be said that as Pluto hadn't been discovered 'The Planets' wasn't complete, but I think Pluto has been downgraded and is no longer regarded as a planet?
                              You're right Pluto is no longer considered a planet lik ethe other eight but it is now known as a drawf planet. Here's an article

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...to-planet.html
                              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                              X