Name that pianist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right on Roehre!
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

A stoned resin conductor

Comment

Maybe another hint?

Comment

Lowell Crystal ?

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Lowell Crystal ?.
            Chrystal is not a resin, is it?
            It is a Jewish-ish name, and there are at least two 20C composers with that surname.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              Chrystal is not a resin, is it?
              It is a Jewish-ish name, and there are at least two 20C composers with that surname.
              Artur Rubenstein?

Comment

Artur Rubenstein?
                A Rubinstein is a ruby, not stoned resin.

Comment

Leonard Bernstein?

Comment

I mean, dear Leonard was not unknown to partake of the "wakky bakky" (hashish resin), and "-stein" does mean "stone", hence "stoned". Am I barking up the wrong tree, Roehre? Woof !

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      I mean, dear Leonard was not unknown to partake of the "wakky bakky" (hashish resin), and "-stein" does mean "stone", hence "stoned". Am I barking up the wrong tree, Roehre? Woof !
                      BINGO

Comment

OK, you Welsh-Dutchman, one just for you :
                        An "Amsterdamer" conductor combining the German for "shark" and a bit of a "fishy smell" minus the "S"?

Comment

For the other players : A famous conductor of a Dutch (capital city) orchestra whose name breaks down into two syllables defining the German word for "shark" and an "unpleasant smell" (minus the letter "s" at the beginning).
                          Last edited by Quijote; 02-24-2011, 12:08 AM. Reason: Phew !!

Comment

Roehre, when you guess this conductor (this will take you about 04.33 seconds), will you please explain my definition ("shark", "unpleasant smell" minus the "s", etc)? Thank you.
                            Last edited by Quijote; 02-24-2011, 12:17 AM. Reason: Cage is watching and waiting ...

Comment

Bernard Haitink.

Comment

Bernard Haitink.
                                BINGO (German shark = Hai, a Dutch one = Haai), according to Weill's Mackie Messer (Mack the Knife from the Three Penny Opera) normally wearing big teeth in his mouth.
                                (S)tink is more or less universal, a verb in German and Dutch, a noun in English, something with a unpleasant smell....

Comment

Working...
                                X