Name that pianist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name that pianist

See if we can guess the name of the pianist whose name is similar to the cartoon.

Last edited by Megan; 02-13-2011, 01:31 PM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

No idea, Megan! Give us a clue, is the pianist living or dead? And is that a fish, a frog or a salamander, or ...?
    As a quick "joke" answer, I'll say it's our forum administrator Peter. Why? Well, the logic goes as follows : fish / fisherman / fisher of men / Jesus's disciple Peter, the fisher of men.
    Last edited by Quijote; 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM. Reason: Is that a Bechstein I see before me?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      No idea, Megan! Give us a clue, is the pianist living or dead? And is that a fish, a frog or a salamander, or ...?
      As a quick "joke" answer, I'll say it's our forum administrator Peter. Why? Well, the logic goes as follows : fish / fisherman / fisher of men / Jesus's disciple Peter, the fisher of men.

Yes, Philip it is a fish, and no, not a biblical reference.

To give a clue, this famous late pianist's son is one of the most celebrated cellists.

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Peter (?) Wallfisch

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Peter (?) Wallfisch

YES! Well done. Peter Wallfisch. Too easy I see.

Your turn now.

Comment

Well, I was half right, no?

Comment

OK, a really easy one (but I can't find the relevant cartoon so I'll describe the tableau instead) : imagine in your mind's eye a pianist at the piano (he prefers Steinways), dressed in "religious garb".

Comment

Well, I was half right, no?
                Yes, well that means you were half wrong then, and I'm not telling you which half. I'm sure you would have got there in the end.

Comment

OK, a really easy one (but I can't find the relevant cartoon so I'll describe the tableau instead) : imagine in your mind's eye a pianist at the piano (he prefers Steinways), dressed in "religious garb".

Could it be His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI ?
                  He's not a famous pianist but likes Beethoven and Mozart.

Comment

That is not a cartoon, Megan !! You're on the right track though, in terms of "hierarchy" (though two tiers down?).

Comment

Anyway, do Steinway make upright pianos?

Comment

That is not a cartoon, Megan !! You're on the right track though, in terms of "hierarchy" (though two tiers down?).
                        Is he English?:

Comment

Anyway, do Steinway make upright pianos?
                          Yes, if you were as old as Pope Benedict XV1, you might own one.

Steinway K-52.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                            Is he English?:
                            Nah, American, still alive (in his late 60s, I think), underwent a bit of a name change, but retains the "religious" part of his surname.
                            Last edited by Quijote; 02-13-2011, 07:17 PM. Reason: Just checked : he's 71 years old

Comment

OK, OK, Steinway make upright pianos !!! Er, any chance of another early Xmas present, Megan?

Comment

Working...
                              X