This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
    A different thread would be in order, I know. But is Quijote's, in this case, correct English? I say: he had a dissolute youth. And he replies: So did I. Now, I used the verb to have. Shouldn't he reply "So had I"?
    'So did I' is fine - 'so had I' would be very stiff and formal.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Alright. Also, it occurs to me that another answer could be 'so did I have', which is one step from 'so did I', omiting 'have'.

Comment

Alright. Also, it occurs to me that another answer could be 'so did I have', which is one step from 'so did I', omiting 'have'.
        Again it would sound rather formal - Quijote's response is the most natural. He could have said 'I did as well'.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Again it would sound rather formal - Quijote's response is the most natural. He could have said 'I did as well'.
          Oh, 'I did as well' too. Fine. Thank you Peter.

Comment

The Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides.

Having read this book in my youth, I wonder now how I had the patience to do it. It's so pityful to see how Athens was at times a little distance from winning the war. The disastrous expedition to Sicily, where the Athenians lost 50000 men and the stupid removal of Alcibiades from its command. The unbelievable absurdities made by the Athenian democracy. I do not think Sparta would have won were it not for the Persian gold. This war parallels the World Wars in many respects, including psycological warfare. Grave problems of decay in many fields could be observed in Greece after it ended, and she never more was what it once was.

Comment

The Peloponnesian War, by Thucydides.

Having read this book in my youth, I wonder now how I had the patience to do it. It's so pityful to see how Athens was at times a little distance from winning the war. The disastrous expedition to Sicily, where the Athenians lost 50000 men and the stupid removal of Alcibiades from its command. The unbelievable absurdities made by the Athenian democracy. I do not think Sparta would have won were it not for the Persian gold. This war parallels the World Wars in many respects, including psycological warfare. Grave problems of decay in many fields could be observed in Greece after it ended, and she never more was what it once was.
              I have a more modern version by Donald Kagan - yes isn't it amazing how the follies of the past are so easily forgotten? You're right about the parallels with the world wars - the 30 years war was another foretaste of the disastrous first half of the 20th century - will we ever learn?
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Enrique raises perhaps one of the greatest lessons in politics as in life itself.
                That is if you plan something you have to plan it all the way to the end.
                In 415 BC the Athenians attacked Sicily.
                All they saw was power, riches and glory.
                They did not take into account how hard the Sicilians would fight, or how all Athens enemies would unite against them or that war would break out on several fronts totally overwhelming their own limited forces.
                The expedition was a complete and utter disaster leading to the destruction of one of the greatest civilizations of all time.
                They did this because they only looked in isolation at one thing, what they were going to get out of it, and they completely ignored the dangers looming in the distance.
                I have to say that the parallels with the current war in Iraq are just uncanny.
                As somebody once said, ''human intelligence has obvious limits, human stupidity none whatsoever.''

Comment

Originally posted by RobertH View Post
                  Enrique raises perhaps one of the greatest lessons in politics as in life itself.
                  All they saw was power, riches and glory.
                  They did not take into account how hard the Sicilians would fight, or how all Athens enemies would unite against them or that war would break out on several fronts totally overwhelming their own limited forces.
                  The expedition was a complete and utter disaster leading to the destruction of one of the greatest civilizations of all time.
                  They did this because they only looked in isolation at one thing, what they were going to get out of it, and they completely ignored the dangers looming in the distance.
                  I have to say that the parallels with the current war in Iraq are just uncanny.
                  As somebody once said, ''human intelligence has obvious limits, human stupidity none whatsoever.''
                  Well your average politician's historical knowledge is lamentable so there isn't much hope, especially as they don't teach context properly - an example is of a (bright) pupil of mine studying the suffragettes at GCSE level who thought this happened in the Elizabethan era, but mind you she had no idea when that was either! Indeed we're doomed to repeat past mistakes.
                  Last edited by Peter; 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM. Reason: Spelling!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by RobertH View Post
                    I heard or read a remark exactly like that in the context of a famous XX century war the US held and it seemed to me sensible, making abstraction of the motives that led to the war. An opposite example was the Franco-Prussian War, promoted by Bismark. There was a very definite goal and the means were precisely calculated. Though perhaps he did no see the resentment of a French defeat would create powerful enemies for Germany forty years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Well your average politician's historical knowledge is lamentable so there isn't much hope, especially as they don't teach context properly - an example is of a (bright) pupil of mine studying the suffragettes at GCSE level who thought this happened in the Elizabethan era, but mind you she had no idea when that was either! Indeed we're doomed to repeat past mistakes.
                      So your pupil does not know why it is that she can or will be able to vote. Also I don't how she does not associate the Elizabethan era with Shakespeare. She would have two time references. Fortunately, I have always observed the great composers of the past, including early XX century, seemed to be well read men. I do not know in the case of Bach.

Comment

Plots & Parallel Powers

Thought I would mention an interesting novel I read recently, Plots & Parallel Powers, about the Gunpowder Plot, by Robert Neville.
                        It is a tense filled blend of fact and fiction.
                        I certainly got a sense of an historical place and time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plots-Parall.../dp/B00CS3BMQ8

Recommended!
                        ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Memories and letters of Gustav Mahler by his somewhat unreliable wife Alma - nonetheless a fascinating insight and incredible to think that she lived on until 1964.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

what am reading right now?

Something about "integration through approximation"

I say I'm reading it-but I don't understand it..

some of us are just regular gluttons for punishment, eh?

xoxox
                            L(isa)
                            "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Originally posted by EternaLisa View Post
                              what am reading right now?

Something about "integration through approximation"

I say I'm reading it-but I don't understand it..

some of us are just regular gluttons for punishment, eh?

xoxox
                              L(isa)
                              The idea behind it is quite simple, though. Incidentally, a function of the real variable x, like exp(-x^2) can only be integrated by approximation. There is no (elementary) function whose derivative is exp(-x^2).
                              Last edited by Enrique; 07-09-2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

The idea behind it is quite simple, though. Incidentally, a function of the real variable x, like exp(-x^2) can only be integrated by approximation. There is no function whose derivative is exp(-x^2).
                                And yet it's such a useful integral that we made one up! 1/2(sqrt(pi))(erf(x))...plus a constant, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X