This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
    Brave New World is a perfect description of our present society. I remember the savage knowing Shakespeare by heart when nobody else in that world knew about him, that they were anesthetized by a pill which made them think they were happy, when they had the strongest reason to be unhappy in a State that was everything while they were nothing but mechanical toys obeying rules and satisfying needs artificially created by others.
    Further to your post, Enrique, and my subsequent post (#200 on this thread) about advertising, I offer you this link (from The Guardian newspaper) that pretty much sums up the vacuousness of advertising ("satisfying needs artificially created by others"). Please do click on the "play" button on the article's video for a full dose of bulls**t. Enjoy!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/fa...smell-disaster
    Last edited by Quijote; 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM. Reason: Fashion designers and parfumiers ... can all go to hell.

Comment

Enjoyable it is, indeed! Thanks for the link.

Comment

Wagner - 'Mein Leben' - interesting if not totally reliable.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Interesting you say that about the Wells novel, which I never got round to reading. Do tell me what your view is when you've finished it.
          It is sounds similar to the last novel that Aldous Huxley wrote when he was dying in 1962, called Island, which is about making a perfect community based on drug use and meditation.
          Contrasting it with Brave New World and the Wells novel that you are reading, its really concerned with the difference between imposing rules to bring about some perfect society, or as against a more libertarian approach .
          Megan, I wanted to get back to you even though I have not finished reading the book. I just do not find fascination in reading, as of now. Anyway, the story deals with issues like being brain-washed by societies laws and so-called morals, pain, lack of belief in the human species, and don't really know any other ones right now.

To my mind, the main character, Prendick, who is the protagonist, in the end becomes so terrified by his own species (human beings) that he leaves society and lives in pretty much complete isolation. He continues to live because he hopes that there is something greater – like omnipotence. I love how the story makes human beings the “bad guys”, not to mention, to the point that Prendick ends up living in complete isolation because of it. The point is that human beings do not care for the welfare of their fellow human beings to the point that is needed, and in doing so human beings, who feel the same things as the ones making them suffer, are in serious pain.

Another major point is that human beings only seem to be good because of society's “moral values” but are in fact animals themselves – in a strange and hard to explain way. We think, we talk, etc. but there is something deeply wrong with us, imo.

I really like how Prendick goes to live in solitude (and finds comfort in it, to mention) – I feel like I am getting that way too. There is just too much pain and madness in this world – I find it all very strange.

All in all, I relate to the things in this book very much. I like more of the philosophy of the book than the actual reading. But, Wells makes some great points and raises some great questions.
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Plots & Parallel Powers.

I have just read an unusual and good novel on the Gunpowder Plot. by Robert Neville.
            I think the thing I noticed about it was how well written it is and I guess you would call it a literary kind of novel.
            There are some actual and fictional characters in it. I liked an old wizard that he invents called Vasco. What I would say is that as a novel it does look at the plot from a deeper an even an inside way, which I found very unusual. A rare and interesting read.

http://www.amazon.com/Plots-Parallel.../dp/B00CS3BMQ8
            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

That does sound like an interesting read!

Comment

The Confessions of Saint Augustine - remarkably modern in its psychological insights.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I read somewhere: "As we shall
                  see, the concept of time has no meaning before the beginning of the
                  universe. This was first pointed out by St. Augustine. When asked:
                  'What did God do before he created the universe?' Augustine
                  didn't reply: 'He was preparing Hell for people who asked such
                  questions.' Instead, he said that time was a property of the
                  universe that God created, and that time did not exist before the
                  beginning of the universe."

This view exactly matches current mainstream thinking about cosmological stuff. His was indeed a powerful intellect. I understand he had a dissolute youth.

Comment

I read somewhere: "As we shall
                    see, the concept of time has no meaning before the beginning of the
                    universe. This was first pointed out by St. Augustine. When asked:
                    'What did God do before he created the universe?' Augustine
                    didn't reply: 'He was preparing Hell for people who asked such
                    questions.' Instead, he said that time was a property of the
                    universe that God created, and that time did not exist before the
                    beginning of the universe."

This view exactly matches current mainstream thinking about cosmological stuff. His was indeed a powerful intellect. I understand he had a dissolute youth.
                    He did indeed and what is astonishing (aside from his intellect as you point out) is the frankness with which he deals with his sexual temptations - the Victorians must have had a real problem with him!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

There was a quote, but I'm not sure if it was from St. Augustine or from someone else that went something like, "Lord, make me clean, but not yet." Anyone familiar with this one?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                        There was a quote, but I'm not sure if it was from St. Augustine or from someone else that went something like, "Lord, make me clean, but not yet." Anyone familiar with this one?
                        Yes he laments that in his confessions, 'Lord make me chaste, but not yet!'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

[...] St. Augustine [...] I understand he had a dissolute youth.
                          So did I !!! But I never had the brains. Damn.

Comment

For anyone worrying about his not being chaste or pure, remember Lutero's words: sin strongly (of course, this should be put into context).

Comment

I like the story about the woman who went up to the minister after his sermon and said, ''I never knew what sin was until I heard you.''
                              The old jokes are always the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                                [In reply to this: " [...] St. Augustine [...] I understand he had a dissolute youth":
                                So did I !!! But I never had the brains. Damn.
                                A different thread would be in order, I know. But is Quijote's, in this case, correct English? I say: he had a dissolute youth. And he replies: So did I. Now, I used the verb to have. Shouldn't he reply "So had I"?

Comment

Working...
                                X