This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    I was the same and as a result have a pretty extensive collection of books and cds - I just love second hand bookshops and Amazon makes it all too easy these days - I've stopped myself by taking up gardening (oh dear, age must be creeping up!) but I realise I'm doing the same there, in fact it's costing me a whole lot more!
    What, you're compulsively buying lawnmowers, chainsaws and other gardening tools and now have an extensive collection of those too?

Comment

Here's a book I have been urged to buy by a poster on another forum (there'll be no advertising of that other forum here, thank you) : Alban Berg and His World. I'm afraid the poster didn't give any publisher details, but one can get those via internet search. I might give it a go, once I have finished reading Mahler and His World.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        What, you're compulsively buying lawnmowers, chainsaws and other gardening tools and now have an extensive collection of those too?
        No but I'm gradually turning my garden into a forest with more plants than places to put them! Having said that, you're right the shed is full of all sorts of implements that Cromwell would have found handy!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

No but I'm gradually turning my garden into a forest with more plants than places to put them! Having said that, you're right the shed is full of all sorts of implements that Cromwell would have found handy!
          Ah, the trials and tribulations of an English country Gentleman ... Luckily, I don't have a garden, but I do have a nice, long and wide 3rd-floor balcony that looks out onto the cathedral (which functions as my alarm clock, I'll have you know). I do hope I'm not giving away too much personal information, one never knows, there are so many "internet crazies" (you know, those with two personalities, Jeckyl and Hyde types) who may try and track me down and chainsaw me to pieces.
          Last edited by Quijote; 04-07-2011, 11:46 AM. Reason: Distracted by that 2+3 Bruckner ryhthm ...

Comment

I'm still struggling with "Beowulf". I'm not going to get anywhere if I keep watching "rubbish" like "Terminator 2".
            Shakespeare is a little easier - and he isn't even brought up to date "Beowulf".
            Last edited by Michael; 04-07-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I'm still struggling with "Beowulf". I'm not going to get anywhere if I keep watching "rubbish" like "Terminator 2".

(Signed: Dr Jekyll)
              Thank you for the oblique spelling correction, Michael.

Comment

Though I also mispelt "rhythm" in my edit above, which you didn't pick up on, though I will let it stand as witness to the Quixotic futility of my existence. Or something like that.

Comment

Words, words ... Some people have problem with words. It's sure that music is better, more direct (whatever the idiom, whatever the genre) but in the interim, I need words to control the world. Dig?

Comment

I've stopped myself by taking up gardening...
                    I too, quite like gardening. Soon we will be planting the spring/summer vegetable garden and an herb garden. I am not too experienced in gardening, though hope to learn more.

That and I am reading nothing worth noting, .
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                      I too, quite like gardening. Soon we will be planting the spring/summer vegetable garden and an herb garden. I am not too experienced in gardening, though hope to learn more.

That and I am reading nothing worth noting, .
                      But you were reading the forum, is that not worth noting?

Gardening is fun for me, too, (most of the time and especially when it starts producing) but it is a lot of hard work.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        Ah, the trials and tribulations of an English country Gentleman ... Luckily, I don't have a garden, but I do have a nice, long and wide 3rd-floor balcony that looks out onto the cathedral (which functions as my alarm clock, I'll have you know). I do hope I'm not giving away too much personal information, one never knows, there are so many "internet crazies" (you know, those with two personalities, Jeckyl and Hyde types) who may try and track me down and chainsaw me to pieces.
                        Luckily? I'd hate to be without a garden and woken up by an alarm clock the size of Big Ben I think this goes a long way to explain our occasionally divergent musical tastes!

Back on topic, I've dug out Satie for tonight as we were talking about him earlier - I'm feeling in better humour already.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

We live in quite a rural area and it is wonderful to wake up to a beautiful sunny morning with the birds all singing.
                          Occassionally we get pigeons flying into the window with a thud and knocking themselves silly for a few moments. I often wonder if there are different levels of 'bird brians' so to speak, as some seem more alert than others.
                          ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                            We live in quite a rural area and it is wonderful to wake up to a beautiful sunny morning with the birds all singing.
                            Occassionally we get pigeons flying into the window with a thud and knocking themselves silly for a few moments. I often wonder if there are different levels of 'bird brians' so to speak, as some seem more alert than others.
                            There is no beautiful sunny morning here! We had snow last night, but while there isn't a lot out there, it's cold and wet!

Comment

We have had glorious sunshine and blue sky all day long.
                              I also felt good about my violin lesson today, much better than last week
                              I did some sight reading excercises, scales and actually played a couple of pieces through. About time too! I think it all has to do with how confident one feels.

Peter, how do I get the qoute facility to work ?
                              Last edited by Megan; 04-08-2011, 03:45 PM.
                              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

About to embark on the Journals of Eugene Delacroix and am expecting great things from it - anyone else read this?
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X