This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Preston View Post
    I have not seen the Van Gogh film you mention though may look into it. I read the letters of Van Gogh and his family (mostly Theo - of course) from time to time. I have seen two films about Van Gogh. One a movie and the other a documentary - I guess you would call it?

The first is called "Lust for Life" and the latter is titled "Vincent". The film Vincent is interesting because it has a talented voice actor (who actually would remind me of how Van Gogh sounded - I think, ) and he reads the letters of Van Gogh to Theo while showing paintings of Van Gogh's. The film Vincent is generally called an 'artistic film', I think.

Lust for Life is probably the best movie about Van Gogh, at least from what I have read. I enjoyed it not because it was accurate or perfect but because it was just interesting to watch. I thought it had some very interesting scenes.

Have you seen either of these?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049456/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094269/
    I've seen the Kirk Douglas film - I'm sure there was another BBC production recently but I can't recall exactly. Interesting that Van Gogh's favourite plant wasn't actually Sunflowers at all - it was surprisingly Ivy!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Well Gogh doesn't really seem to work on its own!
      Right. I'm not being facetious now, but what is the correct pronunciation of Gogh. Is it "Go" "Gok" or "Goff"? I have heard all three and "Goff" is the one that I use but I think it's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Right. I'm not being facetious now, but what is the correct pronunciation of Gogh. Is it "Go" "Gok" or "Goff"? I have heard all three and "Goff" is the one that I use but I think it's wrong.
        You might get a kick out of this Michael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTQv8RH1TE

For what it's worth I pronounce it 'Go'! Maybe it's the American in me?!
        Last edited by Joy; 03-23-2011, 10:00 PM. Reason: sp
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Brilliant, Joy. So, how do you pronounce Vincent's surname without spitting in someone's eye?

I wish some composers' names would look like they sound. Take Ludvig van Baythoven, for example. Or Shoe-Bert. Or Vagner.

Mozart is a special case, I think. A lot of British people don't pronounce the unseen "t", as far as I can remember.

And when I was in Bonn last year, I got talking to some Germans with very good english and they pronounced the name of our favourite composer as in beetroot (from which it is derived - beet garden). They also had the accent on the Beet whereas in Vienna they were inclined to put the stress on hove.

Sorry, I'd better let this thread get back on topic.

Comment

[QUOTE=Michael;50140]
            Brilliant, Joy. So, how do you pronounce Vincent's surname without spitting in someone's eye?

I wish some composers' names would look like they sound. Take Ludvig van Baythoven, for example. Or Shoe-Bert. Or Vagner.

I turn the other way!

Or how about Sho-pan or Hi-din'?!

There are certainly are a lot of different ways you can pronounce words and every country puts a little spin on it. Here in America we are even divided within our own country like in the south they speak a little different than in the north. Here in Arizona people know I'm from Chicago and tell me I have an accent!

Comment

This should be a thread of its own but one last query:

Am I the only one who pronouces the "v" in Tchaikovsky? Maybe I'm mishearing, but most radio announcers say "Tchai-kos-ky". Isn't it sometimes spelt "Tchaikowsky?" Or is it a mixture of the two?

(Just to keep the moderators happy: Q. What am I reading? A. I am still reading "Beowulf").

Comment

I find that I often pronounce the "v" in Tchaikovsky, as well. But then sometimes I don't'; I hadn't realized that I do this until seeing your post just now. Now that I've seen that I cannot unsee it.

Comment

Or unhear it.
                  Sorry about that, Sorrano.

(Quick: what are you reading now?)

Comment

I am reading a certain Beethoven forum.....

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      This should be a thread of its own but one last query:

Am I the only one who pronouces the "v" in Tchaikovsky? Maybe I'm mishearing, but most radio announcers say "Tchai-kos-ky". Isn't it sometimes spelt "Tchaikowsky?" Or is it a mixture of the two?

(Just to keep the moderators happy: Q. What am I reading? A. I am still reading "Beowulf").
                      I have seen it spelt both ways too so what is the correct way? I don't know but I pronounce it Tch-kow-ski. Sounds like we're doing a lot of phonetics here! And don't get me started on pronouncing 'Beowulf'!

Comment

Mahler and His World, (Ed. Karen Painter), Princeton University Press, 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                          I have seen it spelt both ways too so what is the correct way? I don't know but I pronounce it Tch-kow-ski. Sounds like we're doing a lot of phonetics here! And don't get me started on pronouncing 'Beowulf'!
                          I hope I haven't spread Composer Pronunciation Paranoia!

I think I'll calm down and listen to some Aytor Veeya Lowbush - sorry, that should be Heitor Villa-Lobos .

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            Mahler and His World, (Ed. Karen Painter), Princeton University Press, 2002.
                            I often see this in second hand bookstores but I always think it way overpriced so haven't purchased yet. I'm still struggling through van Gogh's letters which aren't really grabbing me that much - interesting in parts but he does go on!
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              I often see this in second hand bookstores but I always think it way overpriced so haven't purchased yet [...]
                              Fair enough. Well worth the read, though. I have few vices, but compulsive book and CD purchases is one of them, even though I have access to excellent library, CD and score resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                                Fair enough. Well worth the read, though. I have few vices, but compulsive book and CD purchases is one of them, even though I have access to excellent library, CD and score resources.
                                I was the same and as a result have a pretty extensive collection of books and cds - I just love second hand bookshops and Amazon makes it all too easy these days - I've stopped myself by taking up gardening (oh dear, age must be creeping up!) but I realise I'm doing the same there, in fact it's costing me a whole lot more!
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X