This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
    I think it's just great, Phil 2 Spain, that you even think about such things as syntax. I studied 1st year Linguistics and I think that's the last time anybody used that word meaningfully. I really dig your grammatical "literacy", old/young man.
    Bonn, I thought I told you via Private Message that I'd pay you to say something along the lines of "Philip, you are a God, where have you been all my life .." etc, etc. Instead, you've gone all "grammatical" on me. I've cancelled that cheque, so don't even bother to present it to your bank ...
    That said, my dinner invitation in Strasbourg should your vessel survive the mines I will have laid (lain?) remains valid and applicable.
    Last edited by Quijote; 06-21-2010, 08:26 PM. Reason: Hope you like snails. With Riesling.

Comment

Philip, my attempt at Crime Fiction goes something like this..

He staggered into the joint. She was sitting at the other end of the bar, barely detectable through the thick haze of her exhausted Gitannes. What a dame! Blond hair flopped deliciously over her forehead, falling down her face and caressing her cheek. Continual wars with men had battered her body and tattered her looks (...apologies to Ted Hughes). Clarke knew her type - out for all she could get. Great conversationalist - intellectual even - but now it was strictly for laughs! No tying her down. The flickering embers of recognition, as he walked towards her, damaged his ego. All nerve-endings camouflaged by intellect, he had no time for emotion with this dame - or any other really - too much trouble!! He just had to flick the switch. Life on auto-pilot was safe, cozy; but it could sometimes be anodyne. This is what happened when you were afraid to take risks. It wasn't going to happen this time.

He slapped her on the rump as she stood up insouciantly to walk away. "What have you got back there; radar?" (..apologies to Ruth Gordon/Garson Kanin/George Cukor).
      "You're out of your league, Clarke! You need to listen more to Beet-Hooven", she crooned in a false upper class lilt, "read Donne, Shakespeare and all those wise guys. Kulture's what you really need!"
      "Then, whaddya say we split a schnitzel and practice the umlaut?" (apology to
      Billy Wilder and James Cagney).
      Last edited by Bonn1827; 06-22-2010, 04:40 AM. Reason: Refinements (did she say?)

Comment

Philip, my attempt at Crime Fiction goes something like this..
        Really rather good. I'll buy the film rights this instant. Pleasure doing business with you.

Comment

I've been reading a little bit of Thayer's Life of Beethoven (p.526) :
          "Starke brought along his horn and offered to play Beethoven's horn sonata in F (Op. 17) with him, which Beethoven accepted with pleasure. When it was discovered that the piano was a half-step too low, Starke offered to play the horn down a half-step; but Beethoven said that the effect would be spoiled and that he would rather play it up a half-step (F-sharp major)."

I post that in support of a previous debate we had about keys, their characteristics and so on.

Comment

Excellent anecdote P2S. We never doubted you when the discussion was about temperament, but what's YOURS??!! Even?

Do you recommend the Thayer? I've glanced through it and it seemed leaden. What say you, sir?

Comment

Do you recommend the Thayer? I've glanced through it and it seemed leaden. What say you, sir?
              I will tell you what I say, if you care? Thayer's book is the definitive biography on Beethoven. If you want to know about the great genius of Beethoven read Thayer's monstrous book. It is not really a book where the author writes what he believes about Beethoven (which I do not mind, BTW), it is more of a collection of accounts, letters, documents, facts, etc. And of course, it is around 1,700 pages on one of the greatest geniuses to ever live. If you want to know Beethoven's life in and out, carefully read Thayer's book edited by Elliot Forbes.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Excellent anecdote P2S. We never doubted you when the discussion was about temperament, but what's YOURS??!! Even?

Thayer's life is the essential Beethoven reference book for any Beethoven lover, not necessarily a cover to cover read.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, not exactly bedtime reading, but a key reference book that one can dip into from time to time.
                  Last edited by Quijote; 06-23-2010, 01:19 PM. Reason: Thayer v. Solomon 1:1 at half time.

Comment

Here's what I have just read (a new concerto in B-flat for football fans) :
                    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...uzela-concerto

Dig the quote from Chaucer in this article : "As Chaucer rightly said, 'Vile brass emanating from the Devil's arse.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      Here's what I have just read (a new concerto in B-flat for football fans) :
                      http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010...uzela-concerto

Dig the quote from Chaucer in this article : "As Chaucer rightly said, 'Vile brass emanating from the Devil's arse.'"
                      That's pretty funny!

Comment

Our soon-to-be-ex Prime Minister was described in parliament this week as "a human Vuvuzela"!!! Love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          That's pretty funny!
                          Admit it Sorrano, you are that anonymous composer mentioned in the article, aren't you?

Comment

Actually, this new concerto even "out-minimalises" LaMonte Young's famous early 1960s minimalist piece (the title escapes me for the moment) for Hammond organ. The performer's score bears only two notes (B and F-sharp / perfect 5th) with the instruction : to be held for a very long time.

Comment

Again, a fine piece of football journalism. For the football fans on this forum, read it closely and reflect :
                              http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...-fabio-capello

Anyway, now that the Germans have crushed us (I mean you, the English, damned-Albion and all that) yet again, I am happy to relate that I have ditched my English flag (thank you, Dad) and switched to my mother's, Spain. So hard to be bi-national. And I don't really mind who wins or loses, but please Ludwig, let it not be Holland. Roehre loves me, really he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                                Admit it Sorrano, you are that anonymous composer mentioned in the article, aren't you?
                                You would not be alone in that presumption.

Comment

Working...
                                X