This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL

I have been reading about Alexandre Dumas. Is anyone familiar with him? I have not read his books. Though, I thought deeply about the saying, "all for one and one for all"- which, I have long believed- not in a wholly general sense, though in a more articulated sense. What, I am "kind-of" saying is that all human beings are born equal (In the sense of the soul. Yes, you do have the handicapped. Though, when I say "born equal" I mean it in more of a general sense), and, should, have the same rights, opportunities, privelages, etc.- though- this will never happen, IMO, it seems.

All for one and one for all- also, reminds me of one of the messages in Schiller's, "Ode to Joy"- universal brotherhood. And, to care for another as much as you care for yourself.
    Last edited by Preston; 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

John Donne's Holy Sonnets.

Clever, imaginative and architecturally shaped gems which reflect Donne's preoccupation with all things spiritual and sensual, namely:

"Batter my Heart, three-person'd God; for You
      As yet but knock, breathe, shine and seek to mend;
      That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and end
      Your force, to break, blow, burn and make me new..
      Yet dearly I love You, and would be loved fain,
      But am betroth'd unto Your enemy;
      Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
      Take me to You, imprison me, for I
      Except You enthrall me, never shall be free,
      Nor ever chaste, except You ravish me"

Does the English language get ANY better than this?
      Last edited by Bonn1827; 08-13-2010, 08:05 AM. Reason: The Harmonious Blacksmith??

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
        ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL

I have been reading about Alexandre Dumas. Is anyone familiar with him? I have not read his books.
        I did read "The Three Musketeers" when I was a teenager and I found it quite tough going. I was recently leafing through it in a bookshop and the prose still seemed quite turgid and indigestible. Maybe it's the translation but I doubt it. I have three different translations of "War and Peace" and each one is extremely readable. I hate to say this about any books, but I do think that the Dumas works would benefit from a little bit of judicious abridgement.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I hate to say this about any books, but I do think that the Dumas works would benefit from a little bit of judicious abridgement.
          I do not understand what you mean by that? The term judicious abridgement, is not in my vocabulary.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            I do not understand what you mean by that? The term judicious abridgement, is not in my vocabulary.
            I meant that the boring bits should be cut out! But this is based on a cursory glance in a bookshop. God knows how I got through the book when I was younger, but I was very tenacious. I got through "Moby Dick" when I was eleven. I won't say I had a whale of a time, but I did like it, in spite of the fact that most of it is completely static: one chapter is devoted to cutting up a sperm whale.
            But I digress. Or do I?
            Books were very hard to come by when I was young, simply because we couldn't afford to buy many. As a result, I relied upon gifts or throwaways from relatives, and anything readable would be perused from cover to cover. I remember getting through a thing called "With the Naval Brigade in Natal". I even attempted a book called "Italy and the New World Order" and got about ten pages into it. My absolute favourite was a battered tome called "The Girl Who Played the Game". In spite of the suggestive title, it was a perfectly innocent story of a girl cricketer who transformed the private school she attended. It was a bloody good read with picnics in haunted priories, and it put most boy's books to shame. I must have read it about ten times and I remember my father casting worried looks at me every time he saw me with it. He was quite relieved when I went on to Billy Bunter and the Remove.
            Last edited by Michael; 08-13-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Michael.
              I meant that the boring bits should be cut out! But this is based on a cursory glance in a bookshop.
              I have never read any of Dumas' work, and have only read a little on him. Though, do you agree that a lot of times with books the boring parts are there for details, detailed explanation, etc.?
              God knows how I got through the book when I was younger, but I was very tenacious. I got through "Moby Dick" when I was eleven. I won't say I had a whale of a time, but I did like it, in spite of the fact that most of it is completely static: one chapter is devoted to cutting up a sperm whale.
              I have not read "Moby Dick", though I imagine that the chapter about cutting the sperm whale would be to explain, something similar to the terror of killing such a mammal? Is that right?

Comment

Moby Dick comes across to me as a series of essays and satirical writing. There is some action in the book, but most of it are small dissertations with whaling as a binding background. If you are looking for adventure you will find it boring.

Comment

I meant that the boring bits should be cut out! But this is based on a cursory glance in a bookshop. God knows how I got through the book when I was younger, but I was very tenacious. I got through "Moby Dick" when I was eleven. I won't say I had a whale of a time, but I did like it, in spite of the fact that most of it is completely static: one chapter is devoted to cutting up a sperm whale.
                  But I digress. Or do I?
                  Books were very hard to come by when I was young, simply because we couldn't afford to buy many. As a result, I relied upon gifts or throwaways from relatives, and anything readable would be perused from cover to cover. I remember getting through a thing called "With the Naval Brigade in Natal". I even attempted a book called "Italy and the New World Order" and got about ten pages into it. My absolute favourite was a battered tome called "The Girl Who Played the Game". In spite of the suggestive title, it was a perfectly innocent story of a girl cricketer who transformed the private school she attended. It was a bloody good read with picnics in haunted priories, and it put most boy's books to shame. I must have read it about ten times and I remember my father casting worried looks at me every time he saw me with it. He was quite relieved when I went on to Billy Bunter and the Remove.
                  Well, Michael, that was a very amusing little anecdote - I find myself laughing (like a mad relation?) at many of your postings!! "Haunted priories" aye? (May I offer a pun in return?) There is nun so blind as he who will not see!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                    (May I offer a pun in return?) There is nun so blind as he who will not see!!
                    A male nun? Ye Gods!

Comment

Balzac's Eugenie Grandet.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Continuing with my French literary theme I recently finished Balzac's Cousin Bette and am now reading Flaubert's Sentimental education which deserves to be much better known.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

This might seem out of place on a "what are you reading" thread, but I am currently ploughing through all the Shakespeare plays on the BBC DVD complete set. I watch each play with the subtitles on, so, strictly speaking, I am reading them. I have just watched (read) "King John" - not the first play that would spring to mind - but it just shows that early Shakespeare is as good as early Beethoven!

Comment

Just sarting a novel ' A Golden Sorrow' Humble and Loyal - Katherine of Aragon, while at the same time delving into the Mysterious Identity of William Shakespeare.
                            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

The Falconer (Elaine Clark McCarthy) -well, I'm just in the first 3 to 4 pages at this stage as time allowance for self is very minimal these days-just picked it up out of sheer curiosity...

E
                              "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Just finished Balzac: 'Old Goriot' and am starting a biography of Somerset-Maugham.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X