Hudson River School of American landscape painters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hudson River School of American landscape painters

Forunately, I happened to find out about the Hudson River School last night. I was quite impressed by the landscape art- a lot of the paintings are breathtaking.

I was wondering if anyone here had heard of this great movement of landscape painters before? I would be appreciative if anyone has information they would like to share about the Hudson River School.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River_School
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Hudson River School and Thomas Cole

Originally posted by Preston View Post
    Forunately, I happened to find out about the Hudson River School last night. I was quite impressed by the landscape art- a lot of the paintings are breathtaking.

I was wondering if anyone here had heard of this great movement of landscape painters before? I would be appreciative if anyone has information they would like to share about the Hudson River School.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River_School
    I _love_ the Hudson River school of painting. (FWIW, I paint, but stylistically about as far removed from Hudson River as you can get while still spreading pigment on a panel).

You should definitely check out the artist Thomas Cole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cole

Some of his paintings are on display at the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. I am fairly sure that there are also some paintings of his at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. As wonderful as they are in catalogs, seeing them in person is nothing short of amazing.

diogenesNY

Comment

I am no connoisseur, at all, when it comes to art, but, glad that you love The Hudson River School. I have looked at some of Cole's work- they are breathtaking. My avatar is by Church. I find him breathtaking also. It is amazing that they could paint so well! Those textures and colors!

What style do you paint?

What do you think of Van Gogh's paintings? If I understood art better, I, believe that he would probably be one of my favorites. I have read a pretty good bit of his letters, and find him fascinating.

Comment

Here are three other schools of landscape art during the history of Art:

1. The Barbizon School was an informal school of French landscape painting that flourished c.1830-1870. Theodore Rousseau, one of the principal figures of the group, was a proponent of outdoor painting, based on direct observation of one's surroundings.

2. The English Landscape School founded by Wilson and Gainsborough in the 18th century.

3. The Norwich School of Landscape founded by John Crome lasted from 1803 to 1833.

I like this "View of Dedham" by Gainsborough.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Thanks for that Hollywood. I definitely want to give them a look and read.

Comment

Working...
          X