LOOKING FOR A KOBZA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOOKING FOR A KOBZA

The Royal Shakespeare Company's music department is on the look out for a kobza~an unusual and rare Ukrainian folk music instrument, similar to a lute.
    John Woolf, RSC, Head of Music, is hoping to use the instrument in the RSC's forthcoming production of The Grain Store, for which he is also composing the music.
    The Grain Store, which runs in repertoire at The Courtyard Theatre in Stratford upon Avon, September 10th and Oct. 1st., is written by one of the Ukraine's most important emerging writers, Natalia, Vorozhbit,
    Mr. Woolf said, ''The Grain Store is set in 1930's Ukraine, and to give the score an authentic sound, I'm keen to use a kobza as part of the band used in the show.

Last edited by Megan; 11-01-2009, 09:08 AM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

How interesting was that. Well, I had to look it up and here's what I found on the history of this instrument. It does look quite a bit like a lute. I'm always interested in finding out about different kinds of instruments and their history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobza
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
    X