• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have $1500- for musicians...

I thought that some of the composers here may be interested in this:

http://www.soundsonline.com/home.php
    http://www.soundsonline.com/Complete...pr-EW-189.html

I am now in the process of taking my savings and working towards these libraries. VSL, around $25000 for everything, while this only $1500. It may not be as great as VSL, that I do not know, but it is close I think, and better in things.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Don't forget you also have to make sure you have the hardware to run this well. VSL requires a lot to work well.

Comment

Yes, you are right. Fortunately, I will be ordering the hardware for my new computer tomorrow. I have been saving for quite a while. Seeing as the computer I have now, has a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT, it is quite outdated.

Thanks,
      Preston

Comment

What are your new system specs going to be?

Comment

Thank you for asking Chris. Keep in my mind I have been had my current computer for around 7 1/2 years, and have been carefully saving up for around 5 years. Now, I will be working to get the East West libraries.

Here is the configuration:

New Egg:
          Processor- Intel Core i7 920
          Motherboard- Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO
          Video Card- EVGA 02G-P3-1185-AR GeForce GTX 285 2GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
          Power Supply- CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX
          RAM- CORSAIR XMS3 6GB
          Heatsink- ZALMAN CNPS9900LED 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
          Fans (5- 120mm case fans)- Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm Case Fan - Retail
          Case- Antec P183 Black Aluminum
          DVD Burner- LITE-ON 24X CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS324-08
          OS- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
          Keyboard & Mouse- Logitech LX 710
          Hard Drive 1- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
          Hard Drive 2- Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
          Hard Drive 3- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
          Hard Drive 4- Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
          Monitor- Hanns•G HG-281DPB Black 27.5" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - Retail
          UPS- APC BR1500LCD 1500VA 865 Watts 8 Outlets BACK-UPS RS – Retail

Audio Store:
          Sound Card- FAST TRACK ULTRA
          Speakers- Studiophile BX5a Deluxe
          Subwoofer- BX10s
          Keyboard- ProKeys 88 (fully weighted)
          Expression Pedal- EX-P - Universal Expression Controller Pedal
          Audio Cables (4)- 2 5-foot, 2 10-foot TRS ¼”

Online:
          Anti-Virus Software- ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4

I know that you are into computer technology- so- if you notice even the slightest incompatibility, please let me know. I have contacted Intel and New Egg and they haven't found one.
          Last edited by Preston; 06-23-2009, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Looks like a very nice system. Most of the time you won't find an incompatibility until you actually try it, though Good luck putting all of that together!

Comment

Well, I know that I can get everything connected properly.

It is when I press the power button for the first time- that is when I will really find out, and that is what worries me,!!! I am keeping my fingers crossed on that.

Comment

Well, I put the computer yesterday- finished late last night. Got Vista installed, and most of the drivers. My performance score on Vista- on everything- is a 5.9!

Now another 7 months of work and saving to get those sound libraries.

Has anyone, besides Chris, even looked at the sound libraries? They have one choral library called Symphonic Choirs Wordbuilder. In other words, you get to make the choir sing what you want to- such as- if you want the choir to sing, "joyful joyful we adore thee", you type it in- articulate it, and it sings it! Really, unbelievable.

Comment

Yes Preston I've looked and I think it could work out pretty expensive. Sorry to be a bit negative - I'm sure you'd get a lot of pleasure from it but for how long? I'd be wary of forking out that money unless I had a professional interest in this sort of technology. I'd rather spend the money on building a superb music collection, but that's me!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, unfortunately, it is pricey, around, $6500. That price includes the computer and everything. The positive side is that the setup would last for as long as the hardware ran- probably around 5 years.

The software (the orchestra, etc.), on the other hand, would last as long as you wanted it to. There is no time limit on the software.

The thing that is fascinating, to me, about this software revelation, is that you are the conductor and composer- because- you have an orchestra at your finger tips. You tell it what to play, etc. So if you wanted to try to render (orchestrate using your computer and software) the 1st movement of Beethoven's 9th you could.

One of the most important programs is the notation program, http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius/6/index.html (look at this link). This program is where you produce the score that will tell the orchestra software what to play.

It takes time and studying, working with these things, but it is quite rewarding. It is hard to get it to sound exactly like a real orchestra, with the current software, but the current software can come pretty close, on many things.

The thing I like about it is that it is a great learning learning experience- dealing with all of the different articulations, expressions, everything, etc. I mean if you want a solo violin to play whatever articulation, you tell it which one to play, then you use your keyboard to play it.

Here are some renders that some people made using the East West software libaries:

- Beethoven Hammerklavier
                    http://media.soundsonline.com/ip/mp3...r%20Sonata.mp3

- Grieg A-Min Piano Concerto
                    http://media.soundsonline.com/ip/mp3...osendorfer.mp3

Comment

Don't get me wrong, it definitely has its uses and the results are impressive - they've come a long way from when I tried this with a friend's keyboard about 20 years ago!
                      I'm sure you'll get a great deal of pleasure from it and no doubt composers will find it a great asset as not many have direct access to a symphony orchestra. You'll have to post some of your attempts Preston!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Don't get me wrong, it definitely has its uses and the results are impressive - they've come a long way from when I tried this with a friends keyboard about 20 years ago!
                        LOL!
                        I'm sure you'll get a great deal of pleasure from it and no doubt composers will find it a great asset as not many have direct access to a symphony orchestra. You'll have to post some of your attempts Preston!
                        Thank you for the encouraging words Peter. Yes, many composers (Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, and others I am sure) I know use notation programs and music libraries to get the music down, before it is played by a live orchestra. It is also great for people who just want to learn about music, or attempt to write their own, and hone their skills.

My plan is that the after I get the software, I am going to attempt to render a Beethoven piano sonata, to start with. Not an easy challenge but easier than a symphony! I think that I will learn more about how the newer software works by doing this, and improve my feeble skills. Then after a few renders with the piano, I will work towards learning more about the strings. Perhaps Massenet's Meditation? In short, I will start slow and try to learn more about all of this, and at the same time make the best renders I can.

I actually have been teaching myself how to read music, although am not fully there. So the notation program will be a huge help. I have been practicing the opening of Beethoven's 4th piano concerto. It was a surpise to me to see that my right hand, on the first chord, could, actually, easily make the chord, after a couple of times of practice, with some streching of my hand!

If I ever manage to create a good Beethoven render, which I think I might possibly be able to do, then I will post it.

On another note, thought that all of the Beethoven enthusiasts on the forum might like this one. This company that has done these libraries, are good at what they do, although, it is extremely over priced. Considering that they want you to pay around $18000 for all the articulations! Pretty ridiculous, I think. This company makes me angry- they would probably make more money, which is one major thing they want, if they would offer a more reasonable price- because then far more people would buy? Unless you are rich, and have $18000 sitting around, !

http://vsl.co.at/downloader.asp?file...tet_op59-3.mp3

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                          On another note, thought that all of the Beethoven enthusiasts on the forum might like this one. This company that has done these libraries, are good at what they do, although, it is extremely over priced. Considering that they want you to pay around $18000 for all the articulations! Pretty ridiculous, I think. This company makes me angry- they would probably make more money, which is one major thing they want, if they would offer a more reasonable price- because then far more people would buy? Unless you are rich, and have $18000 sitting around, !

http://vsl.co.at/downloader.asp?file...tet_op59-3.mp3
                          Yes, but you don't need nearly all of the instruments and articulations for standard orchestra composing. You can get a very workable VSL setup for much, much less. Did you look at their Special Edition?

Comment

I have looked at the SE, but not as thoroughly as I should have. I did look at it again, for the past 35 minutes. It does seem like a pretty good deal. The deal I am talking about is the VSL Special Edition Bundle, for $2085- although that is for the extended editions, too.

Now I will have to compare between these two different libraries, because the Special Edition Bundle does look quite good.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I have decided I am going to eventually take a loan from the bank, to get either the VSL Special Edition Bundle or the East West Complete Composers Edition. I decided to take the loan, simply because school will be starting back soon and I cannot afford to work full-time.

If anyone of you musicians (who understand articulations and which ones would be needed for good renders) would be kind enough to help me decide which of the two I should purchase I would be most grateful. I really want a good variety of articulations, and I want to get the most out of the orchestra. Solo strings are important, also. I would like to try to eventually render a Beethoven quartet.

Here are the links to the two libraries, so that whoever can view the articulations, etc. These links show the different articulations, it seems that VSL, has more, although- I do not entirely know what each articulation means, etc.

http://vsl.co.at/en/211/261/314/1607/1625/604.htm
                              http://www.soundsonline.com/product....oductid=EW-177 (click on articulations)

Thanks to anyone for help.

Comment

Working...
                              X