My Dog Likes to Listen To ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PDG View Post
    But you are forgetting (probably wisely) Lita Roza's UK no.1 hit from the spring of 1953: How Much is That Doggie in the Window? Definitely a 'doggie song' if ever there were one......Woof! Woof![/COLOR]
    Do you remember a TV programme called "Face the Music"? One of the members of the panel, John Amis, had a phenomenal knowledge of classical music, but Frank Muir found it unbelievable that this man had grown to adulthood without once having heard (or even heard of) "How much is that doggie in the Window."
    Do you recall a version that came out some years ago in which the words of the chorus were sung backwards: "Window the in doggie that is much how." ?
    You don't? You're lucky - I do!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Do you remember a TV programme called "Face the Music"? One of the members of the panel, John Amis, had a phenomenal knowledge of classical music, but Frank Muir found it unbelievable that this man had grown to adulthood without once having heard (or even heard of) "How much is that doggie in the Window."
      Do you recall a version that came out some years ago in which the words of the chorus were sung backwards: "Window the in doggie that is much how." ?
      You don't? You're lucky - I do!
      Yes I recall the delightful show "Face the music". I suppose it was aimed at the older viewer but I was in my teens at the time. Who could forget the charming Joseph Cooper (who was a fine pianist) and the dummy keyboard or the strains of Walton's facade? Incidentally Walton appeared on the show on one occasion. The panelist know all was Robin Ray who knew every opus or Kochel number. They tried reviving the show in 2007 but it can never be the same as sadly they are all now long departed, except I think John Amis.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

But you are forgetting (probably wisely) Lita Roza's UK no.1 hit from the spring of 1953: How Much is That Doggie in the Window? Definitely a 'doggie song' if ever there were one......Woof! Woof![/COLOR]
        PDG, I haven't quite finished with the doggie in the window, I'm afraid. I meant to say this earlier but I got distracted. On Sunday, I was compiling a fifties CD for a friend and - I swear - I included that song. I hadn't read your post at the time. Anyway, I couldn't locate the Lita Roza version at the time so I used Patti Page's and I found it very annoying because the dog's "woof woof" doesn't come in on the right beat.
        As there does not appear to be a website devoted to "How much is that Doggie in the Window", I wonder if you have heard Miss Page's version and if you share my dislike?
        I know it's a rather esoteric subject and I am wondering if Philip has any opinions on the relative merits of the two recordings?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Yes I recall the delightful show "Face the music". I suppose it was aimed at the older viewer but I was in my teens at the time. Who could forget the charming Joseph Cooper (who was a fine pianist) and the dummy keyboard or the strains of Walton's facade? Incidentally Walton appeared on the show on one occasion. The panelist know all was Robin Ray who knew every opus or Kochel number. They tried reviving the show in 2007 but it can never be the same as sadly they are all now long departed, except I think John Amis.
          I found John Amis to be the real show-off and he was always right. I recall one occasion when he was asked to identify a piece of music, and they played the opening of the "Eroica". He replied that it was the overture to an obscure opera by Mozart called "Bastien und Bastienne" and he was (more or less) right. There followed a brief discussion about Beethoven having stolen the tune but it seems very unlikely that B even heard of the opera. It wouldn't even have had to be a coincidence because the theme is an E flat arpeggio - playable on any bugle.
          Now, I have to get back to the doggie in the window ...................
          Last edited by Michael; 03-24-2009, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Hi Mike. I tried uploading Lita Roza's version, just for you, but found that the file was either too large, too bizarre or too off-topic. Sorry...

A folk-song arrangement, however, would be interesting...

Comment

Hi Mike. I tried uploading Lita Roza's version, just for you, but found that the file was either too large, too bizarre or too off-topic. Sorry...

A folk-song arrangement, however, would be interesting...

I have Lita's version but I just couldn't find it on the day in question.

( I clicked on the colour red - and it reads [COLOR="Red"] etc. before my message but it won't come out in red ......or any colour. Not that I'm bothered.
              (And the first few notes of Beethoven's "Bundeslied" are identical with "Doggie in the Window".
              Last edited by Michael; 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                Yes, the Doggie in the Window is a sort of reversed "Mannheim Rocket", so to speak.
                Yes, the Russians did send up two dogs in a rocket, soon after Sputnik.

Comment

Is this true? If so, did they ever return? Or were they somewhat "barbecued" on re-entry?
                  It's true. See below:

http://www.spacetoday.org/Astronauts/Animals/Dogs.html

Comment

And don't forget about all the monkeys that were sent into space!
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I saw! Poor mutts. I wonder what those dogs liked listening to in space...

Maybe 'Fly Me to the Moon' although they didn't quite get that far!
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I saw! Poor mutts. I wonder what those dogs liked listening to in space...
                        Well, at least the poor doggies had a window.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post

Maybe 'Fly Me to the Moon' although they didn't quite get that far!
                          Moonlight Sinatra?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Well, at least the poor doggies had a window.
                            How much did it cost?...

Comment

That was paneful.

Comment

Working...
                              X