Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy Saint Paddy's day to all Beethovenians, begorrah, to be sure, to be sure!

(Note the GREEN icons).

Happy St Patrick's Day Michael and everyone.

Put on the Finale of the Seventh, Beethovens "Irish" Symphony.

Try not to dance widly around your living room! :-)
    http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not sure why you guys would wish the non-Irish among us a happy St Patrick's Day, but I suppose it's a good excuse to get drunk...

Comment

Snap !
        I just posted St. Patrick's day greetings on the General forum Michael. We must have posted simultaneously.

Last edited by Megan; 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM.
        🎹

Comment

I am Scottish

Originally posted by PDG View Post
          I'm not sure why you guys would wish the non-Irish among us a happy St Patrick's Day, but I suppose it's a good excuse to get drunk...

PDG,

It is the feast day of St. Patrick, celebrated not only by the Irish , but by all Christians too.

🎹

Comment

Hi Megan.
            Thanks for that but as you're in Blighty, you'll know that this day is not officially celebrated in the (Christian) UK. Apart that is from in rowdy pubs!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
              Hi Megan.
              Thanks for that but as you're in Blighty, you'll know that this day is not officially celebrated in the (Christian) UK. Apart that is from in rowdy pubs!

I know folks like to have a kneesup on St. Patrick's day , and there is a wonderful Irish community/club where I live. but the Church I attend also does celebrate by commemorating his feast day at Mass, being Roman Catholic. But without the kneesup.
              Last edited by Megan; 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM.
              🎹

Comment

A great many Irish people celebrate the day without beer or spirits.

Myself included. Unfortunately :-) But had a very merry day anyway. Many thousands of foreigners were in Dublin today. A lovely Festival and great fun for all the kids.

Comment

Yesterday I asked my Austrian husband if he was wearing anything GREEN. He looked at me very perplexed and wanted to know what I meant. I then told him that 17 March is St. Patrick's Day and if you don't wear something green you run the risk of getting PINCHED. So I had to pinch him and now he knows that you need to wear something green on 17 March.
                  "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Sorry to ruin the fun, but it does belong in the general forum (though we now have 2 threads running!). Happy St.Patrick's yesterday! Did anyone listen to the Irish folk-song arrangements?
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I listened to Beethoven's arrangement of "The Pulse of an Irishman" - also known as "St Patrick's Day in the Morning" (as I am sure PDG did. )
                      It is a very tangled question as to which "lyrics" were supplied to the composer with the melodies so I often wonder if B knew the actual words of the above tune or whether Thompson added them later.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Sorry to ruin the fun, but it does belong in the general forum (though we now have 2 threads running!). Happy St.Patrick's yesterday! Did anyone listen to the Irish folk-song arrangements?
                        Sorry, my fault. I keep forgetting about the general forum. Anyway, what's wrong with two threads? Sure, 'tis only once a year, faith!
                        (Chris, why is there no icon for "begorrah"?)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          (Chris, why is there no icon for "begorrah"?)
                          Hm, clearly a serious design flaw! I will have to look into it for next year!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            Hm, clearly a serious design flaw! I will have to look into it for next year!
                            Thanks! And don't forget a "Hoots, mon" for Megan.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              I listened to Beethoven's arrangement of "The Pulse of an Irishman" - also known as "St Patrick's Day in the Morning" (as I am sure PDG did.
                              To be sure I did not, Mike, to be sure I did not...

Comment

Working...
                              X