X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PDG View Post
    I thought that Churchill won the war...
    Cue Elgar [Land of Hope & Glory] ....

Please, ladies and gentlemen, I live with a German woman! Do you want me killed?

[Forum members] : "Yes!"
    Last edited by Quijote; 03-13-2009, 10:50 PM. Reason: Stürm und drang !

Comment

Does your wife know that you live with a German woman? We'll fight them on the beaches. Never, NEVER will we surrender...

Comment

Hello again PDG. Let's keep our 'off forum' comments here, shall we? I think it's probably better to separate the 'serious' from the 'lighthearted'. Ok for you?

Comment

Sorry, not here, I meant the "Let's Chat" thread. "What are you reading now" also merits serious contribution.
          Apologies.

Comment

Well, Phil, I never have been able to keep the light-hearted separate from the serious, anyway. And now you're bouncing me all over the place!

'Tis just as well, because the main reason the British were able to successfully liberate France and her ungrateful onions way back then was because we enjoy our beauty sleep. And I love the fact that I always look absolutely magnificent first thing in the mornings....

Nighty night. zzzzzzzzz

Comment

PDG and I have had our fun tonight.
              Now for something more serious : I read (this morning, at 0202h central European time) a short article in the Guardian newspaper. I quote here an extract :

"Yesterday the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra appeared on big screens in Norwich, Liverpool, Manchester, Plymouth and Middlesborough recording a selection of popular classics and asking audiences to use various whoopee cushions that had been provided to create an additional "wind section".

Cage would be laughing in his grave.

Comment

Often and often I revisit the wonderful novels of Patrick O'Brian, my favorite author. Oddly, despite Captain Aubrey's love of music, Beethoven is never mentioned in his works. I suppose it's because Beethoven was such a revolutionary figure in his time, and the Captain has more conservative taste. He plays a lot of Bach in the novels.
                - Susan, back on-board after taking a few weeks away from the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                  Ah, that's a composer I like (being half Spanish myself). I visited his birthplace in Cadiz a couple of years ago. At the time there was a football match on at the bar terrace next door (imagine the noise), so I couldn't pay suitable homage. Really, I like his music, even though this may surprise you. I am also interested in his connection with Frederico Garcia Lorca (Spanish poet murdered by the Francoist Guardia Civil), and the true Flamenco 'cante jondo' movement.
                  Philip this forum must have developed a telepathic link as I ordered a Lorca biography just 4 days ago!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    I agree with these postings so far. But let us not forget the Soviet contribution to the defeat of Wagner, I'm sorry, I mean Hitler.

Seriously, there is absolutely no doubt about the USA's involvement in defeating the Nazis, but the Soviet contribution tends to get downplayed. That said, the Soviets would not have carried it off alone, if my reading of the history is correct.
                    We're dangerously agreeing on this thread - I also think the Soviet role is very much downplayed in the west.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I checked out this book from the college library about the study of Shakespeare's writings. It is called, "Shakespeare: The Human Invention", by Harold Bloom. It is pretty massive, so I doubt that I will be reading to much of it.

I have always wanted to learn more about Shakespeare, who hasn't . But after reading some of it, I believe that I need to start with a very detailed understanding of poetry, writing, English composition, etc., because if you really want to try to understand, it seems that these are the things you need. So I don't think that I will get Shakespeare anytime soon. But at least there is a way to start without going to school (majoring in Shakespeare, or something)- checking out or buying books about the study of Shakespeare's writings.
                      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                        I checked out this book from the college library about the study of Shakespeare's writings. It is called, "Shakespeare: The Human Invention", by Harold Bloom. It is pretty massive, so I doubt that I will be reading to much of it.

I have always wanted to learn more about Shakespeare, who hasn't . But after reading some of it, I believe that I need to start with a very detailed understanding of poetry, writing, English composition, etc., because if you really want to try to understand, it seems that these are the things you need. So I don't think that I will get Shakespeare anytime soon. But at least there is a way to start without going to school (majoring in Shakespeare, or something)- checking out or buying books about the study of Shakespeare's writings.
                        I think that's a very sensible approach Preston - I admire your zest for learning! There's so much in life to discover and it's impossible to cover everything - Shakespeare is one of my (many) weaknesses. One area of interest so often leads onto another - by reading about Casals I learnt more about the Spanish civil war and the artistic movements of the time, Dali, Lorca, Manuel de Falla and even the Spanish film director Bunuel. I think my next project may be learning Spanish, but I want to master Italian first!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Going to college killed all interest I had in learning

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            [...] One area of interest so often leads onto another - by reading about Casals I learnt more about the Spanish civil war and the artistic movements of the time, Dali, Lorca, Manuel de Falla and even the Spanish film director Bunuel. I think my next project may be learning Spanish, but I want to master Italian first!
                            As a half-Spaniard, I am delighted to see we share a certain 'Iberian' interest! I'll have to dig out a few titles for you, Peter, especially on the Spanish Civil War. There's also the excellent account of Orwell's involvement in the conflict in his Homage to Catalonia. His description of events in Barcelona at the outset of the war, the ensuing chaos and various communist factions' in-fighting are incomparable.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Going to college killed all interest I had in learning
                              If this is ironic, ok. If this is true, I think it sad. My time at University was radical, as well as mind (and ear) opening. The expression "halcyon days" comes to mind. Apologies for this rather hackneyed cliché.
                              Last edited by Quijote; 03-25-2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks Peter. Shakespeare is most likely a lot of people's weakness, whether they realize it or not. I love learning, but even better is to have a deep understanding of what you have learned. I imagine that Shakespeare goes quite deep.

Yes, it does seem that one thing can lead to another. If I get started reading on Wikipedia, I will come to a point where there is something that ties into what I was reading, and sure enough there will be a link, with another link, and so on, .
                                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                                X