This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you reading now?

I thought in view of the highly popular 'what are you listening to thread' in the other forum it would be appropriate here to have this one.

So I'll kick off and I'm reading the memoirs of the remarkable Madame de La Tour du Pin (Henrietta Lucy Dillion) who was born the same year as Beethoven in 1770 but lived much longer till 1853.

This takes the author from childhood through a marriage arranged after the aristocratic fashion of the day, to court life as a lady-in-waiting to Marie Antoinette in the years just preceding the French revolution. From then on life is a swift series of reversals of fortune: concealment during the Terror, emigration to the United States, a premature return to France after the Thermidorian Reaction, exile in England, public office for her husband under both Napoleon and Louis XVIII and the loss of 5 of her 6 children. This, then, is a private document, one that remained unpublished until almost a century after some of the key events it describes.
    'Man know thyself'

"Memories of Beethoven", Gerhard von Breuning

I have been reading "Memories of Beethoven: From the House of the Black-Robed Spaniards", by Gerhard von Breuning.

I am nearly through. I have read to the part right after Beethoven's death. Haven't picked it up in a while though.

I thought this book was good. It was easy to read and provided some interesting details.

At one point in the book, he talked about how Beethoven would always go on walks deep into the forests. If it was summer and was hot, Beethoven would strip down almost completely naked and keep on walking as if everything was fine. Stephan, told Beethoven that there could be unpleasantness if someone saw him.

He spoke of many positive things also, such as the honor in Beethoven. It seems that a lot of people felt that even though as wild as Beethoven looked, they always say what an honorable sense he had to him.

Now, I want to reread it, . Which I think I will.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      So I'll kick off and I'm reading the memoirs of the remarkable Madame de La Tour du Pin (Henrietta Lucy Dillion) who was born the same year as Beethoven in 1770 but lived much longer till 1853.
      Peter, how do you like these memoirs?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
        Peter, how do you like these memoirs?
        I find them fascinating and obviously relevant to the Beethoven era. She was a remarkable woman and was in contact with so many famous people of the time - Marie Antoinette, Napoleon, Talleyrand and she had even known Wellington. The most interesting part for me was her escape from 'the terror' and exile to America with the amazing hardships that she endured in stark contrast to her privileged upbringing and position. It is interesting to see her awaken to the frivolous emptiness of the court life that led up to the Revolution and her desire not to return to Europe but remain a simple farm wife in America. She did return and I find the last part of the memoirs the least interesting because she did it seem to me return to this frivolous social climbing world, but I think it was for her husband's sake.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I am reading my lines for our local dramatic society's presentation "Drama at Inish" by Lennox Robinson which goes on tomorrow night (Wed 4th March).
          I haven't time to read anything else.

Comment

Stephen Fry's 1997 autobiography. Fascinating! He mentions Beethoven and Rossini often.
            http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

Comment

Am reading The Beano number 1484 - yes, the 1970 Christmas issue! The greatest comic cover ever, and setting eyes on this issue originally - aged just 8 - changed my perception of the world forever...

Comment

I'm currently reading Charles Dickens, Little Dorrit. Which is a story of a young girl born in the debtors prison at Marshalsea, London , and her growth into maturity as a sensitive young lady. It is interesting because Dickens seems to say that if you are born with a kind of natural generosity and love for others, this is a form of wealth, which can be added to in later life, by material wealth.
                It is an application I suppose, of the lesson, that you seek first the Kingdom of God and all other things are added to that.
                I'm only half way through .
                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Richard Taruskin : Text and Act (Oxford University Press, 1995). A fine set of essays debunking the ideological misunderstandings surrounding the "authentic performance-practice" movement.
                  Greetings from the Black Forest, by the way.
                  Last edited by Quijote; 03-05-2009, 12:56 PM. Reason: Poor spelling due to my using a German keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    Richard Taruskin : Text and Act (Oxford University Press, 1995). A fine set of essays debunking the ideological misunderstandings surrounding the "authentic performance-practice" movement.
                    Greetings from the Black Forest, by the way.
                    That sounds interesting Philip and perhaps we could discuss some of those issues in the main forum? Don't eat too much gateau!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm reading Joys and Sorrows - Pablo Casals story in his own words told to Albert Kahn. What a wonderful man, totally inspiring.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

When I get the chance, I hope to read "How I Fell Off Mount Everest" by Eileen Dover.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          I find them fascinating and obviously relevant to the Beethoven era. She was a remarkable woman and was in contact with so many famous people of the time - Marie Antoinette, Napoleon, Talleyrand and she had even known Wellington. The most interesting part for me was her escape from 'the terror' and exile to America with the amazing hardships that she endured in stark contrast to her privileged upbringing and position. It is interesting to see her awaken to the frivolous emptiness of the court life that led up to the Revolution and her desire not to return to Europe but remain a simple farm wife in America. She did return and I find the last part of the memoirs the least interesting because she did it seem to me return to this frivolous social climbing world, but I think it was for her husband's sake.
                          Thank you for sharing that, Peter. Interesting how she went from, the "frivolous social climbing world" (like the way you word that), to a peasant, and then back to the "frivolous social climbing world". Such a change in life style that it would definitely, "awaken" (like the way you word that, too), someone, which would seem to me to be a good thing for the life.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            I am reading my lines for our local dramatic society's presentation "Drama at Inish" by Lennox Robinson which goes on tomorrow night (Wed 4th March).
                            How did the play go Michael? Did you hold the leading role, ?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                              How did the play go Michael? Did you hold the leading role, ?
                              Yes, I did, actually. Just back from the celebrations as tonight (Sat) was our fourth and last night and I'm totally drained.
                              Now I can read something else for a change.

Comment

Working...
                              X