This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PDG View Post
    You could cheer yourself up by reading what I'm reading.....Yes, the Beano Annual for 2010. A stonkingly good read....

Seriously, is the "Beano Annual" still published? It was my number one Xmas gift for years (until my wife put a stop to it.)

Comment

Yes, I love the songs in that one...
      They are a little better than the ones in Moby Dick.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Seriously, is the "Beano Annual" still published? It was my number one Xmas gift for years (until my wife put a stop to it.)
        You need to have a serious word in your wife's shell-like.....
        Attached Files
        Last edited by PDG; 01-17-2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          They are a little better than the ones in Moby Dick.
          'Moby Dick - The Musical'.

Hmmm....not a bad sounding title, but let's not give Mr Lloyd-Webber any ideas here. There aren't many left that he has yet to use for maximum profit....

Comment

'Moby Dick - The Musical'.

Hmmm....not a bad sounding title, but let's not give Mr Lloyd-Webber any ideas here. There aren't many left that he has yet to use for maximum profit....
            I think his greatest musical was "Cats". Would you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              So, why does Jander refer to this 4th Concerto as an "Orpheus" concerto? To my ears this concerto is the most different of the 5 (6 if you count the E-flat).
              Ah, Sorrano, I'm not going to give the game away just yet! I agree with you, this is a most unusual-sounding concerto, and I have always felt so, even before becoming aware of Jander's posit.

Comment

I am currently reading a personally autographed copy of my friend H.S.Brockmeyer's new book titled Echoes of a Distant Crime: Resolving the Mozart Cold Case File (here's the website at http://home.comcast.net/~echoesofadi...x.html?p=Order). I'm looking forward to reading this interesting account of the questions surrounding Mozart's death. A bit like CSI Vienna.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

I think his greatest musical was "Cats". Would you agree?
                  I should have been in that. I'd have been a natural (and no costume changes needed)...

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    Ah, Sorrano, I'm not going to give the game away just yet! I agree with you, this is a most unusual-sounding concerto, and I have always felt so, even before becoming aware of Jander's posit.
                    If you were to explain the Orpheus connection, Philip, you would be obliged to divulge your connections with the underground, so Sorrano will have to gluck elsewhere.

Comment

If you were to explain the Orpheus connection, Philip, you would be obliged to divulge your connections with the underground, so Sorrano will have to gluck elsewhere.
                      Nah, man(*1), that may well biehl(*2), but you are a lyre if you really think Sorrano needs to gluck elsewhere, and I think you should appologize.

(*1) (*2) : I know you like puzzles. A little quiz then, to stimulate you on your birthday - got to keep that grey matter from greying any further (add icon - the one with the tongue sticking out).
                      Last edited by Quijote; 01-25-2010, 09:02 PM. Reason: And you can add the icon with the toupée falling off

Comment

Would be nice, though, if someone else read the Jander "Orpheus" book in question. If not, as PDG often points out, I end up talking to myself.

Comment

What are you reading now?

Leonard Bernstein's "The Joy of Music". He has some wonderful things to say about Beethoven, whom he believed not only as a God, but a somewhat contradictory "syphilitic" individual also - which I found gratuitous, unfortunately. I've never heard that suggestion before about LvB and std. Naive? Perhaps.

I'm going to quote from one of my favourite novels, "Dombey and Son", by Dickens, because of the innate musicality and epic proportions of the lines:

"Dom-bey and Son....These three words conveyed the one idea of Mr. Dombey's life. The earth was made for Dombey and Son to trade in, and the sun and moon were made to give them light. Rivers and seas were formed to float their ships; rainbows gave them promise of fair weather, winds blew for or against their enterprises, stars and planets circled in their orbits, to preserve inviolate a system of which they were the centre. Common abbreviations took new meanings in his eyes, and had sole reference to them. A.D. had no concern with anno Domini, but stood for anno Dombei - and son. He had risen, as his father had before him, in the course oflife and death, from Son to Dombey, and for nearly 20 years had been the sole representative of the firm."
                          JUST BRILLIANT, and typical of Dickens.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                            Leonard Bernstein's "The Joy of Music". He has some wonderful things to say about Beethoven, whom he believed not only as a God, but a somewhat contradictory "syphilitic" individual also - which I found gratuitous, unfortunately. I've never heard that suggestion before about LvB and std. Naive? Perhaps.
                            Bonn1827, you are aware that the Beethoven 5 lecture in The Joy of Music has been reorded and released on a Sony CD, including the music examples? Very interesting to hear what Bernstein thinks of (especially the first mvt of) the Fifth.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              Bonn1827, you are aware that the Beethoven 5 lecture in The Joy of Music has been reorded and released on a Sony CD, including the music examples? Very interesting to hear what Bernstein thinks of (especially the first mvt of) the Fifth.
                              This lecture includes much discarded material from earlier drafts of the symphony, orchestrated by Bernstein and inserted back into the body of the work. Totally fascinating.
                              A couple of years back, somebody (in the main forum) posted a link to a similar lecture by Bernstein on the first movement of the "Eroica". I recorded it at the time but I can't seem to find the link again, but it is well worth hunting down. I don't think it was YouTube.

Comment

This lecture includes much discarded material from earlier drafts of the symphony, orchestrated by Bernstein and inserted back into the body of the work. Totally fascinating.
                                A couple of years back, somebody (in the main forum) posted a link to a similar lecture by Bernstein on the first movement of the "Eroica". I recorded it at the time but I can't seem to find the link again, but it is well worth hunting down. I don't think it was YouTube.
                                In his book (Bernstein's) The Infinite Variety of Music there is a wonderful lecture on the entire Eroica symphomy; I wonder if the YouTube video was an excerpt from that lecture.

Comment

Working...
                                X