Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Beethoven-related, but I'm reading "The Elegance of the Hedgehog," by Muriel Barbery. This is a thoroughly delightful novel, which I heartily recommend to literary and philosophical thinkers. The cover blurb calls it an international best-seller, if one is to believe cover blurbs.

Comment

I am both extremely literary and philosophical, yet I have never heard of this work; so I thank you for the "heads up" on this one, Susanwen.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Is it about a green super-villain planning to take over the British Museum - or am I thinking of another book with a similiar title ...........?
        As I have said above, no.

I have to say that I have always had an "odd" feeling about B's 4th concerto, and before ever hearing about Jander's posit. Having flicked through its contents, I feel this is going to be a seminal work, for me. It would be nice if others followed me down this path (i.e. buy the book and read it, not just the blurb; though it is a little bit pricey), especially as this is a Beethoven Reference forum.

Comment

And yes, there are many music (notation) examples, which I can imagine is off-putting for the less musically literate. Nevertheless, for those with a serious interest in B's music and its cultural context, I would be prepared to cross-index the examples in the book with some mutually defined CD "timings".

Comment

Assuming you are really interested in the topic. Which is Beethoven. And his 4th piano concerto. Here, on the Beethoven Reference Site.

Comment

Yes, I'm in a bad mood.

Comment

So, why does Jander refer to this 4th Concerto as an "Orpheus" concerto? To my ears this concerto is the most different of the 5 (6 if you count the E-flat).

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                  Assuming you are really interested in the topic. Which is Beethoven. And his 4th piano concerto. Here, on the Beethoven Reference Site.
                  Talking to yourself again, Phil?

Comment

Yes, I'm in a bad mood.
                    You could cheer yourself up by reading what I'm reading.....Yes, the Beano Annual for 2010. A stonkingly good read....

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      So, why does Jander refer to this 4th Concerto as an "Orpheus" concerto? To my ears this concerto is the most different of the 5 (6 if you count the E-flat).
                      Or 7 if you count the one in D, Op.61a...

Comment

When I have had enough of Roger's Scrotum, I shall order his "Drinking Guide".
                        So you think he writes with real balls?...

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                          Or 7 if you count the one in D, Op.61a...
                          You beat me to the punch on that one. I thought of it after I had posted, but wondered if anyone else might come up with that. Once I had a recording of that and enjoyed it very much.

(I just hope the punch wasn't spiked too much.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Is it about a green super-villain planning to take over the British Museum - or am I thinking of another book with a similiar title ...........?
                            Sounds like Baron Greenback from Danger Mouse?

Comment

You beat me to the punch on that one. I thought of it after I had posted, but wondered if anyone else might come up with that.
                              It's okay, S, we believe you....really we do....

Comment

Some day I should read Les Miserables...
                                Yes, I love the songs in that one...

Comment

Working...
                                X