Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now reading John Butt, Playing With History : The Historical Approach to Musical Performance, Cambridge University Press, 2002. An interesting follow up to Taruskin's Text & Act. HIP has certainly moved on.
    Last edited by Quijote; 04-05-2009, 05:10 PM. Reason: Hip, hip, hooray

Comment

I have read many technically and musically detailed books on Beethoven before but this one is different Beethoven: The Universal Composer (Eminent Lives) Edmund Morris, lighter but more readable and more fun to read. I recommend it to all Beethoven lovers.
      We are specializing in online shopping, online shopping mall, shop directory, and bargains online.We provide all kinds of products: electronics, pc hardware, apparel, jewelry, toys, videogames and much more. The best brands and prices products! http://digitsy.com

Comment

Kid is in bed, significant other working, so a moment of free time. What am I reading now? Well, a score : Beethoven's concerto for violin and orchestra opus 61. In opposition to Hellewell, the more I read the more I hear (Cf. WYHIWYG).

Comment

Re-reading Maynard Solomon, Late Beethoven : Music, Thought, Imagination, University of California Press, 2003. Especially chapter 3 ("Some Romantic Images", pp. 42-70) in light of Peter's recent comments elsewhere to Preston on notions of "Romanticism".

Comment

Started The Ascent to Truth , by Thomas Merton

After finishing , Tolstoy's, Anna Karenina
            Last edited by Megan; 04-15-2009, 02:54 PM.
            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Have just given up on Zola's Germinal - not enjoying it at all - anyone else read it?
              Reading Marcus Aurelias Meditations and Turgenev's Fathers and Sons.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have been skimming, seems that all I can do is skim, through Tolstoy's, "The Kingdom of God is Within You". I do disagree with his anti-government beliefs. Perhaps, I am wrong and misunderstand him. Thomas Jefferson said something similar to, "If people could leave harmoniously together, without government, then that would be a great thing, but they cannot, which is why government is necessary".

I do not understand if Tolstoy wanted absolutely no government, which wouldn't work in this world, or if he didn't like Democracy? He once called democracy evil, and he embraced Communism. Unfortunately it seems that every Communistic government has turned to tyranny, certainly not what Marx intended.
                Last edited by Preston; 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM.
                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Have just given up on Zola's Germinal - not enjoying it at all - anyone else read it?
                  Reading Marcus Aurelias Meditations and Turgenev's Fathers and Sons.
                  I must, with shame, confess to not having read 'Germinal'. As you don't like it, I now will (a mild joke/jibe; add the relevant icon). On the other hand, I have read Sartre's "La Nausée", which was, as the title suggests, quite alienating. Camus is (was) a far better writer. Talking of dear JP Sartre, I did attempt a first attack on his "Being and Nothingness" (not a novel, though a great title, quand même); my initial attack was repelled. I shall attempt another essai when I am older.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                    Started The Ascent to Truth , by Thomas Merton
                    A novel, Megan? Or something else? Do tell, please; I have an open (if acidic) mind!

Comment

It is basically a meditation on the theology of St. John of the Cross of Spain... A 16th century mystic. If that sounds heavy going, it isn't. It is simply written and describes how we all go through dark periods, but that is a prelude to light, if we stick with God.
                      It really all about the contrast between darkness and light.

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                        It is basically a meditation on the theology of St. John of the Cross of Spain... A 16th century mystic. If that sounds heavy going, it isn't. It is simply written and describes how we all go through dark periods, but that is a prelude to light, if we stick with God.
                        It really all about the contrast between darkness and light.

Thank you, Megan.
                        Last edited by Quijote; 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I have been reading about George Orwell's novel, 1984. I have the book, and do plan on reading it. Is there anyone who is a fan of this book?

Such a sad book. An inside look at complete tyranny- Big Brother- very, very. terrifying.
                          Last edited by Preston; 05-14-2009, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Have not been reading books lately, just information on the internet. I have been reading about the Hurrians and the Hurrian hymn.

Also, about Thales, an ancient Greek philosopher. Very smart man. Is anyone familiar with him?

Comment

Thales was just about the father of philosophy as an intellectual exercise.

Comment

Hi Susan, I do not fully understand your post? Would you mind explaining what you mean in more detail? If you are saying that he was one of the father of western philosophy, from what I have read, I think you right. I do not understand how you relate this to "intellectual exercise"- or exactly what you mean by that? Perhaps you mean his belief in trying to find a correct state of being, by focusing on mental aspects? Thanks.
                                Last edited by Preston; 07-14-2009, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X