This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    Bonn1827, you are aware that the Beethoven 5 lecture in The Joy of Music has been reorded and released on a Sony CD, including the music examples? Very interesting to hear what Bernstein thinks of (especially the first mvt of) the Fifth.
    Here is the original broadcast: (much much longer than the CD version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0wO7q6_qRk

There are three or four more related parts which you will see in the right-hand column.
    Last edited by Michael; 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your information. I will hunt down the things you refer to as would love to hear LB's comments about "Eroica" et. al.

In today's national paper, The Australian, a former pm has waxed lyrical about Mahler and, since this year is the 200th anniversary of his birth, there are plans to play the whole symphonic repertoire in Sydney over the next year. I mention this because, even though a hard core music lover - Machaut to Glass - I just do not get Mahler, period. Is there anybody else out there who feels that they don't get it either? I really don't understand why, which is annoying.

Comment

PS: Leonard Bernstein is a hero. Read Humphrey Burton's biography if you're a fan - it's wonderful. I happen to think "West Side Story" is the greatest piece of American musical theatre alongside "Porgy and Bess". Interestingly, LB was a HUGE fan of George Gershwin (well, who wouldn't be!)

Comment

Beethoven was one of Bernstein's favourite composers and he even had the second movement of the 7th Symphony played at his funeral.
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
            Beethoven was one of Bernstein's favourite composers and he even had the second movement of the 7th Symphony played at his funeral.
            Yes, and I think the last piece he ever conducted was the 7th Symphony. He was in a very weak state and yet he got through this frantic work and nearly had to be carried off at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Here is the original broadcast: (much much longer than the CD version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0wO7q6_qRk

There are three or four more related parts which you will see in the right-hand column.
              Very interesting! I watched his Bach one, too, and while it did a good job explaining why people may find Bach boring, and how to approach his music, he did not make much of a case for the music itself, which sounded terrible. Whether that was because of the more primitive recording conditions or because I have gotten used to more historically-informed interpretations of Bach, I cannot say...

Comment

Following on from the Christopher Nupen docu on Alice Somer-Herz, I'm now reading her biography 'A garden of Eden in Hell' by Melissa Muller.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                  When I die you will please play John Cage, 4'33" (to be repeated as long as the tears flow). On my gravestone you will please inscribe the following : "I told you I wasn't feeling very well".
                  Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    When I die you will please play John Cage, 4'33" (to be repeated as long as the tears flow). On my gravestone you will please inscribe the following : "I told you I wasn't feeling very well".
                    Thank you.
                    Would you like this arranged for Cello?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      Would you like this arranged for Cello?
                      Well, I was hoping for full orchestra, and you on the organ, but I'll settle for solo 'cello if you insist. Who's going to play?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        Well, I was hoping for full orchestra, and you on the organ, but I'll settle for solo 'cello if you insist. Who's going to play?
                        How about the deceased?

Comment

Reading "Richard II" by Bill Shakespeare. I recently bought the BBC DVD edition of all the plays and am viewing them in (approximate) order of composition. I then pull out my trusty Pelican edition and read the text. It beats the "Beano" any day!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Reading "Richard II" by Bill Shakespeare. I recently bought the BBC DVD edition of all the plays and am viewing them in (approximate) order of composition. I then pull out my trusty Pelican edition and read the text. It beats the "Beano" any day!

Ah, wonderful, you share my love of Shakespeare !

We have seen all Shakespeare's history plays on stage, It is difficult to say which one is my favourite. I think its Richard III. We saw Richard II at the Globe theatre in London, it was awesome, and I love the way they have the Elizabethan dances at the end of the plays.
                            We were at this performance 2003, View towards the end of the play, here:-
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91wKLUCRVZA

This was an absolutely awesome production, the house was a thunderous noise of clapping and cheering.

I find it best reading the plays first, before going to see a performance.

Right now I am reading, The Master of Shakespeare, by AWL Saunders.
                            Last edited by Megan; 02-02-2010, 04:27 AM.
                            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I'm afraid the only way I'm likely to see the whole lot is on video. The BBC versions are very good indeed - and, to the best of my knowledge, unabridged.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                                Ah, wonderful, you share my of Shakespeare !
                                Me too, I share your of Shakespeare. Elizabethan spelling and syntax was always a problem for me, too.
                                Me like William. You like William? You me tell later, Megan. You add icon; We heep big laugh share later. Out, damned out, spot. Or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X