Is abigail a bot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is abigail a bot?

I received a private message from "abigail" saying that they wanted to say hi. Is this a bot? Did anyone else receive this, because I would find it odd if they didn't? Sorry to post this if you are not, abigail, .

Kind Regards,
    Preston
    Last edited by Preston; 05-11-2007, 02:41 AM.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Preston
    I do believe you are correct, this is suspiciously like a Bot , I also received an email from abigail.

We should have the option in our profile for emails be made non viewable . I request to go private.
    Hopefully Chris can instruct us how to do this. I tried but can't see how to.

Thanks
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
      Preston
      I do believe you are correct, this is suspiciously like a Bot , I also received an email from abigail.

We should have the option in our profile for emails be made non viewable . I request to go private.
      Hopefully Chris can instruct us how to do this. I tried but can't see how to.

Thanks
      Thank you for your reply Megan. Yeah, when I got the message there was a link to this website about all these matters concerning afterlife and etc. I am glad to know other people got these emails. If it is not a bot then someone is doing this deliberately. Why, I have no idea.

Kind Regards,
      Preston

Comment

I also got a P.M. from abigail this morning.
        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Looks like the Grott Bot is doing her rounds.
          I wouldn't advise clicking on web addresses, I never do in case I get a virus.
          Last edited by Megan; 05-11-2007, 06:45 AM.
          ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Looks like the Grot Bot is doing her rounds.
            I wouldn't advise clicking on web addresses, I never do incase I get a virus.
            I never do, either. I don't know why I clicked on it this time. I would hate to get a virus. My computer... gone!!! The thought scares me. I didn't know a bot could do this. Log in, post private messages and everything.

Comment

When you say private message, do you mean it was posted on this forum (their is a private message facility here) or you received an email?

Either way it had nothing to do with this site and please no one should click on any links or attachmments from abigail who appears to be a member of this forum and is online now as I'm writing this.

Over to you Chris - I think it needs looking into.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                When you say private message, do you mean it was posted on this forum (their is a private message facility here) or you received an email?

Either way it had nothing to do with this site and please no one should click on any links or attachmments from abigail! Over to you Chris - I think it needs looking into.
                The way I received their private message was through the forum, not in an email.

Kind Regards,
                Preston

Comment

access

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Either way it had nothing to do with this site and please no one should click on any links or attachmments from abigail who appears to be a member of this forum and is online now as I'm writing this.

Over to you Chris - I think it needs looking into.

The message was posted using the private message facility of this forum ,but it also came through my own private email, that is what made me look into this site to see what this message was all about. Sorry I did not make that clearer.
                  I suppose spy Bots or hackers can access our email addresses from forums therefore members should have the option of making their emails non viewable .

Last edited by Megan; 05-11-2007, 07:17 AM.

Comment

I suppose spy Bots or hackers can access our email addresses from forums therefore members should have the option of making their emails non viewable .

I believe that option is already available. Go to edit options in the User CP and uncheck, "receive email from other members".

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                      I believe that option is already available. Go to edit options in the User CP and uncheck, "receive email from other members".
                      Thank you Preston, I have now found the options. I had already left the option to receive mails unchecked - I only checked email from admin. however I have unchecked that as well as receiving private messages.
                      Not that I want to do this.

Comment

Thank you Preston, I have now found the options. I had already left the option to receive mails unchecked - I only checked email from admin. however I have unchecked that as well as receiving private messages.
                        I find it most peculiar that you received an email, since you had that option unchecked. Chris will, probably know more about that.

The thing that gets me is that abigail has been steadily online for hours and hours.

Comment

Megan, I figured out why you got an email when you received a private message, I think. It is because you had "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages", checked. So ucheck that and you will not receive notifications when you get a private message in your email account. So it is ok to receive email from admins as long as you uncheck "Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages".

Comment

Thankyou Preston,
                            I have fixed it now.

Comment

Interesting. What is the point of a bot that simply sends a few private messages? Seems like a waste of time. Setting things not to receive e-mail from administrators will not make things more secure for you, but it doesn't hurt anything either, because we never send out e-mails; any announcements would be made on the forum.

Anyway, this particular bot will not be troubling us any longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X