Copy write protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy write protection

I read an article that had to do with copying cd's. BMG, the giant record company said it will start making CD's that cannot be copied. They will have a copy write protection encoded on the discs. London Records, part of a huge recording comany, Polygram, does not like the idea. Their claim is that the encoding will cause inferior sound. This means you won't be able to make a copy for you auto cd player or for your portable cd player. What's your say on this matter?

[This message has been edited by King Stephen (edited 08-21-2004).]

It's a waste of time, because they can easily be copied anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
      It's a waste of time, because they can easily be copied anyway.
      If it is the same tech. that is used in video copy protection then there is a strong possibility that , though you may copy, the sound quality will be greatly degraded, in which case it makes the copied cd useless. Did you ever try to copy a video that is copy write protected? The copied video fades in and out along with the audio. Hey, I don't back this so called protection but in reality the industry could possibly stay one step ahead of the consumer

Comment

Technically speaking, there is no security that one cannot bypass with enough effort. But I wasn't even thinking of that. With CDs, you could simply pop one in your computer and record the output into a wav file. From there, you could burn your own CD, convert them to mp3, or whatever. There's not much they can do about that.

Comment

Technically speaking, there is no security that one cannot bypass with enough effort. But I wasn't even thinking of that. With CDs, you could simply pop one in your computer and record the output into a wav file. From there, you could burn your own CD, convert them to mp3, or whatever. There's not much they can do about that.
          Chris,
          I stand corrected, you are right on copying to a wav file. Thanks for the enlightment.
          Steve

Comment

All this concern happens when people don't know what happened to games. There are (today) several types of security protocols that *try to* stop people from makeing images of game cds. Not only newer imaging softwares know that as they also provide information about which kind of protocol was used and such.

It's just a matter of wait. The newer the anti-copying tecnologie, the more copying softwares there are.

------------------
            "Aaaaagnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi... PAM, PAM PA RAM PAM PAM..." (Missa Solemnis)
            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Ah, yes, unfortunately people will always find a way to steal that which is not rightfully theirs and to further stifle the already struggling music industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Haffner:
                Ah, yes, unfortunately people will always find a way to steal that which is not rightfully theirs and to further stifle the already struggling music industry.
                Yes, but there are perfectly legal reasons for wanting to make a copy. It may depend on where in the world you live, but in the U.S. it is entirely legal to make a copy of a CD for archival purposes, for example.

Comment

i must disagree with your strugling music industry comment. music industries are one of the biggest companys out there. besides fast food and movies. even if everyone in the world made one copy of one cd they still would turn a profit. another thing is they're not really losing any money by people copying cds and using them for personal use. you see 90% of the time the person copying the cd would never have bought that cd in the first place. so the company isnt losing money because they would not have gained any from that perticular personage.
                  i personaly think that the downloadable archive of music will keep the old music industry alive, at least in people listening. most of the burnt music ive heard is not "mainstream" and would never be heard on a radio or advertised in any other way. so with every evil there is a good and visa versa.

[This message has been edited by sksbox (edited 10-14-2004).]

Comment

Working...
                  X