First piece of AI music born in 1956

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First piece of AI music born in 1956

Long before Auto-Tune and deepfake compositions, university professor Lejaren Hiller premiered a concert recital composed by a computer and became an overnight celebrity
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...s-born-in-1956

Here's a reader's comment (Roboxon):
    How intriguing. The Illiac Suite, or at least the excerpt provided above, comes across as an attractively whimsical piece of tonally/modally inflected light modernism, like something Lou Harrison might have tossed off - certainly a long way from the bloops and bleeps that one might have expected. But it was all in the algorithms, I guess. And maybe I shouldn't have been surprised: somewhere I have a CD of Hiller's (personally composed, as I recall) music - a couple of violin sonatas and a piano sonata - that is similarly appealing in an off-kilter way, if I remember correctly. Perhaps I'll try and dig it out, though I fear it's at the bottom of a pile behind several other piles. What a pity that there seems to be no commercially available recording of the Illiac Suite. There is a disc that includes another of his string quartets - No. 6, no less - alongside a "Computer Cantata", which I think I'm going to have to get. Perhaps a Lejaren Hiller revival is overdue?
    More broadly, it's interesting what charming music some of those much-derided big beasts of the postwar avantgarde were able to produce - for example, there's an enjoyably neoclassical early violin sonata by Stockhausen (some of whose later music, such as Tierkreis, also has a childlike sweetness); Cage's prepared piano music is generally very winsome, as is Berio's for conventional piano; while even Hiller's mentor Milton Babbitt wrote music much pleasanter than a total serialist had any right to produce - far preferable to Boulez, for example (though perhaps there's some ravishing Boulez that I've missed?).

How can a person even think of such a thing? He understood that sooner or later he would be caught on this forgery. Of course, he did not violate someone's copyright, but giving out someone else's music for his own is not the smartest decision, even if it is made by his computer
    The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/piano

Comment

Working...
    X