Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Der Letzte Mann", 1927, Emil Jannings (Director: F.W. Murnau)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Der Letzte Mann", 1927, Emil Jannings (Director: F.W. Murnau)

This beautiful silent film, "The Last Laugh", made at Union Film-UFA Germany,, directed by F.W. Murnau and produced by Eric Pommer, really is one of a kind. Jannings was a great, great actor; a mime of the calibre of Lon Chaney but with more complex dramatic roles, eg. as the Professor in "The Blue Angel". Jannings died in 1950 and at the time of his death was poorly regarded internationally because he featured in German propaganda films for Hitler.

Mel Brooks, who wrote "The German General" sketch I posted here, modelled his skit on "Der Letzte Mann" with its absurdly comic but poignant themes. The "general" is a doorman, as is the central character in "Der Letzte Mann". Murnau, of course, went to the USA where he was highly regarded but sadly died in an auto accident just 7 years after making "Der Letzte Man". A huge loss to cinema.

Watch here to enter again the glorious world of silent cinema:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7yiZM-SlwI

I'm curious to know why the english title of this film is "The Last Laugh" when the original german title,"Der Letzte Mann", actually in english is "The Last Man". Anyway I did see the 1955 remake of this film starring Romy Schneider and Hans Albers.
    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
      I'm curious to know why the english title of this film is "The Last Laugh" when the original german title,"Der Letzte Mann", actually in english is "The Last Man". Anyway I did see the 1955 remake of this film starring Romy Schneider and Hans Albers.
      I wondered exactly the same thing but I heard Mel Brooks talking about it and he said it was an ironic title which meant "The Last Laugh" even though it doesn't translate that way. Confused? Me too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Schenkerian View Post

I wondered exactly the same thing but I heard Mel Brooks talking about it and he said it was an ironic title which meant "The Last Laugh" even though it doesn't translate that way. Confused? Me too!!!
        Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who found this confusing.
        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Maybe this is done for the convenience of translation. In our country, they do this too, but this is done only so that the name of the film is euphonious.
          I didn't see this movie but I heard about it and I want to see it, thank you for the reminder!
          I'm a member of https://musescore.com/our-products family

Comment

Working...
          X