Wyler's "Ben Hur", 1959

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyler's "Ben Hur", 1959

This afternoon is cool and wet and we've been watching a restoration of this very long film. Some things are notable about it; the performance of Stephen Boyd as Messala being the standout. He is gifted some of the most extraordinary dialogue in film history earlier in the film which he delivers with credible nuance and style. The inflections are simply operatic in some of his lines and Charlton Heston's Judah can only stand and grin or respond despondently, surely knowing he was outclassed by Boyd. I have to say Boyd's was one of the great cinematic acting achievements.

Later in the film it all goes downhill with regard to the script. Karl Tunberg (credited for Screenplay) employed a few writers to assist him in this onerous project, but the results are uneven and not without being risible. Here's a classic; Judah is a galley slave and has to minister to the demands of Quintus Arrius (Jack Hawkins) who controls the slaves. "Go back to your oar, 41. Row well and live". Absolutely priceless and destined to arouse laughter, especially when preceded by Judah's.."I cannot believe my god wanted me to be a slave for 3 years only to die chained to an oar"!

I can't imagine which of the team wrote that rubbish but rubbish it was.

The other notable screen performance in the film is from Hugh Griffith, an English actor of great depth and intensity. He owns the team or horses that Judah rides in the famous chariot race - as thrilling a piece of artful cinema as it's possible to get and never trumped in any other film. But all comes crashing down in the end with this limp and mawkish dialogue, "It's not over, Judah" as the mortally wounded Messala sputters his last words in defiance.

As they say in another medium, too many cooks spoil the broth. But scenes in "Ben Hur" certainly created mirth when they were meant to do the opposite.
    Last edited by Schenkerian; 09-26-2021, 06:12 AM.

Long time since I watched the film but I imagine it appears very dated . One of those they used to drag out every Christmas.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Long time since I watched the film but I imagine it appears very dated . One of those they used to drag out every Christmas.
      I think the score by Miklos Rosza is very fine. His use of modality works very well in giving the film an 'authentic' historical flavour. I adored the films of William Wyler but the often mawkish and uneven script was a major problem for me. Gore Vidal had a hand in it too; something he was fond of talking about. In the opening titles the music signals the gravitas and grandeur of the film to come - and also was meant as a kind of fanfare to represent the power and prestige of Metro Goldwyn Mayer (in much the same way that Monteverdi reflected the importance of his aristocratic patron at the beginning of 'L'Orfeo'!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt5C9EruZ94

A little-known fact; Producer Sam Zimbalist died suddenly during pre-production for "Ben Hur" in 1958 but is still credited in the film, having done the major logistical work. And the chariot race took a full 6 months to film using a Second Unit director. It still astonishes me for the danger it presented and its masterful shot composition and editing. In the 1920s version of Fred Niblo's silent "Ben Hur" people and horses were killed during filming of the chariot race. And this was photographed with hand-cranked cameras, though some automatic cranking devices were being experimented with. You can actually see the similarities between that and the 1959 film and the scene where horses are killed as they round the corner: the editing here is just beyond belief. Notice that the shot beneath the chariots which shows one following the other is actually the very same shot repeated many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkmBt6vFu0

An exceptional achievement on film, even then.
      Last edited by Schenkerian; 09-26-2021, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Your reference to Monteverdi brought Sergey Bondarchuk's 1968 War and Peace to mind with the amazing battle of Borodino scenes which are incredible even by today's standards, took five years to complete, had a cast of 120,000, and cost the Soviet film industry an incredible $10,000,000 (around $60,000,000 today).
        One inaccuracy though was the scene at the opera "L'incoronazione di Poppea" It premiered in Venice in 1642, but by the time that the story takes place, it had been lost and all but forgotten. A score wasn't rediscovered until 1888, and the first modern performance was given in 1905.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Your reference to Monteverdi brought Sergey Bondarchuk's 1968 War and Peace to mind with the amazing battle of Borodino scenes which are incredible even by today's standards, took five years to complete, had a cast of 120,000, and cost the Soviet film industry an incredible $10,000,000 (around $60,000,000 today).
          One inaccuracy though was the scene at the opera "L'incoronazione di Poppea" It premiered in Venice in 1642, but by the time that the story takes place, it had been lost and all but forgotten. A score wasn't rediscovered until 1888, and the first modern performance was given in 1905.
          Not a film for the knowing connoisseur like yourself, then!! I haven't actually seen the film but have heard about it. Neither have I read Tolstoy's novel.

Undoubtedly that Soviet-era film was also meant to reflect the power of the regime in the same way that the great Eisenstein's genius was appropriated to make propaganda films for the Communist government. They were constructed with such incredible artifice and ingenuity that Eisenstein easily out-lived his custom-made agitprop.

Comment

Originally posted by Schenkerian View Post

Not a film for the knowing connoisseur like yourself, then!! I haven't actually seen the film but have heard about it. Neither have I read Tolstoy's novel.

Undoubtedly that Soviet-era film was also meant to reflect the power of the regime in the same way that the great Eisenstein's genius was appropriated to make propaganda films for the Communist government. They were constructed with such incredible artifice and ingenuity that Eisenstein easily out-lived his custom-made agitprop.
            I hardly think I'm a connoisseur, but as a musician I'm aware of music history. I think I'm right in saying that the Borodino battle scene was the largest ever filmed, incredible for its time and yes certainly a propaganda tool for the regime.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well that's for sure, it's totally not Politically Correct, is it? Ben Hur? Surely that should be Ben Him, or maybe even Ben Them? Who would have thought that pronouns could be such a minefield! Anyway - let's sing together - Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to [the culture] war...

Comment

And regarding the hymn I just alluded to above, let's take this PC stuff to another level: if one has the ear for it (and assuming we all know this hymn), we will notice the hymn melody starts on the dominant note of the key. The dominant! What does that say about our Western society and its hierarchical/patriarchical structures? The second phrase even has the temerity, the bare-faced chutzpah - to add a tasty Yiddish ingredient to the PC soup - to modulate to the actual dominant key!
                I don't know about you guys but from now on I will only play music with the maximum of black keys on the piano (C# major/D-flat major) to counter the white-supremist key of C major. Only on the piano, mind you, as string players don't face this problem.
                Last edited by Quijote; 09-29-2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Anyway, back to the film Ben Him.

Comment

So, Ben Hur. Saw it when I was a kid. A gladiator-type riding around in a turbo-charged chariot. Fights a lot, chops up a bunch of enemies, then comes to some sort of self-realisation at the end. Sounds like an ideal plot for an opera. If Beethoven had done it we would have called it Fihurio.
                    Last edited by Quijote; 09-29-2021, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                      And regarding the hymn I just alluded to above, let's take this PC stuff to another level: if one has the ear for it (and assuming we all know this hymn), we will notice the hymn melody starts on the dominant note of the key. The dominant! What does that say about our Western society and its hierarchical/patriarchical structures? The second phrase even has the temerity, the bare-faced chutzpah - to add a tasty Yiddish ingredient to the PC soup - to modulate to the actual dominant key!
                      I don't know about you guys but from now on I will only play music with the maximum of black keys on the piano (C# major/D-flat major) to counter the white-supremist key of C major. Only on the piano, mind you, as string players don't face this problem.
                      I'm not sure all forum members understand my sarcasm. Go on Google or whatever search engine and check out the polemic surrounding Heinrich Schenker (1868–1935), a tonal music analyst who has received quite a bit of flak recently. In terms of the so-called "culture wars", you may understand why a recent new poster - an advocate of the phenomenon - has chosen such a provovative moniker.
                      Personally, outside of any "culture war" nonsense, I've never had much time for Schenker. Whilst Twitter is for bird brains, Schenker is for those musicologists who would analyse the farts out of a fly's arse, providing they had a clear pitch.

Comment

Working...
                      X