Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moonlight sonata

Hi..

This well-known sonata stills one of the graetest piano sonatas ever written , That's because of the depth of it's first movemnt..I've almost finished learning that movement on the piano , playing it I feel that I've got closer to Beethoven's soul....
    I'd like to know what impressions this sonata had left inside each of you.. these impressions may vary ,it'll be interesting to discover that variance..

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited May 18, 2003).]

It is a highly original work and the second movement is my favourite. Of Beethoven's sonatas overall though I prefer Op.78, Op.106, Op.109, Op.110 and Op.111

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      It is a highly original work and the second movement is my favourite. Of Beethoven's sonatas overall though I prefer Op.78, Op.106, Op.109, Op.110 and Op.111

Hi Peter.

I agree with you, the group of the late five sonatas are my favourites.
      I see you did not mention Op.101, is a great sonata, the fourth movement is among the best fugues Beethoven wrote, I love this sonata, which I have performed, perhaps this is why.
      But from all the sonatas Op.111 is my favourite, followed by Op.109, which also have performed.
      I would love to learn Op.111, but the section of the trills at the end of the second movement is extremely hard....maybe one day.

Marta

[This message has been edited by Marta (edited May 18, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Marta:
        Hi Peter.

I agree with you, the group of the late five sonatas are my favourites.
        I see you did not mention Op.101, is a great sonata, the fourth movement is among the best fugues Beethoven wrote, I love this sonata, which I have performed, perhaps this is why.
        But from all the sonatas Op.111 is my favourite, followed by Op.109, which also have performed.
        I would love to learn Op.111, but the section of the thrills at the end of the second movement is extremely hard....maybe one day.

Marta

Yes Op.101 is great, but all the 32 are great so I was just singling out a few personal favourites! I know what you mean about the trills in Op.111 - Beethoven is fond of this trick isn't he? Just when you think you've reached a level when you can even attempt such works he sticks in a few impossible bars, as if to say 'nearly but not just yet!' - With the Waldstein it's those glissandi octaves in the finale !

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

...Beethoven is fond of this trick isn't he? Just when you think you've reached a level when you can even attempt such works he sticks in a few impossible bars, as if to say 'nearly but not just yet!'...
          And the thing that most amuses me about the scenario is that B couldn't care less if you have trouble playing it or not, and said so several times. I admire this attitude in a composer, that he pushed the envelope at all times and takes with him those who can go. The rest of us just listen!
          Regards,
          Gurn
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Aint that the truth,boy I passed up a gift of Beethoven sonatas in score all five volumes wrapped in string as yellow as the linen covers,what in God's name would I do with these,I shall never in a million years be able to even attempt to play them.
            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Hi guys...I think you've forgotten all about my question..! I want you to describe me the feelings implied by the moomlight sonata from your own view ...
              By the way Peter,would you advise me -as a piano teacher- with the easiest B piano soata to play ,or the most easiest movement..(All that I've learned till now is the 1'st movement of moonlight!)

[This message has been edited by Ahmad (edited May 20, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
                Hi guys...I think you've forgotten all about my question..! I want you to describe me the feelings implied by the moomlight sonata from your own view ...
                By the way Peter,would you advise me -as a piano teacher- with the easiest B piano soata to play ,or the most easiest movement..(All that I've learned till now is the 1'st movement of moonlight!)

(I've said before in this forum that) To me, the third movement of the Moonlight is one of the most astounding things ever conceived by the mind of man. I still can't believe that a mere human being actually wrote this movement. When I first heard it, the other movements of the sonata and indeed, everything else I'd bewen listening to for several years, were dwarfed by this movement.
                This is only my personal opinion.
                See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

The easiest sonatas to play are Op.49, no.2 in G major being easier than no.1 in G minor.
                  For individual movements you could try the middle movement of Op.14 no.2, the minuet and trio from op.10 no.3 or perhaps the slow movement from the Pathetique.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                    (I've said before in this forum that) To me, the third movement of the Moonlight is one of the most astounding things ever conceived by the mind of man. I still can't believe that a mere human being actually wrote this movement. When I first heard it, the other movements of the sonata and indeed, everything else I'd bewen listening to for several years, were dwarfed by this movement.
                    This is only my personal opinion.
                    If you admire the 3'd of moonlight so much ..I'd advise you to listen to Chopin etudes opus 10-12 , 25-11 , 25-12 and fantasie-impromptu ..there you'll find what I think you really need ..(you can listen to them from www.chopinfiles.com)

Comment

The easiest sonatas to play are Op.49, no.2 in G major being easier than no.1 in G minor.
                      For individual movements you could try the middle movement of Op.14 no.2, the minuet and trio from op.10 no.3 or perhaps the slow movement from the Pathetique.

Thanks...Peter!

Comment

Hi Ahmad.

Yes, we got away from your question, always happens. The Moonlight sonata is a wonderful work, and its first movement is an inward experience for me when I play it. I don't relate the movement with its name, for me is just a deep emotional feeling.
                        Ahmad, this movement is not as easy as is thought, the balance of the voices (many times I hear those triplets to loud), the constant legato, even in the octavas passages, which must be done by fingers and not pedal, the sustain of the long lines of phrasing in an adagio tempo...and many other nuances.

Ahmad, you are asking about the easiest Beethoven sonata or movement. Is my opinion that there is nothing easy in Beethoven's music, but also to be able to give you an advice, I will need to know your pianistic background. Among the Sonatas the Op.49 are the easiest ones.

Marta

Comment

Originally posted by Marta:
                          (many times I hear those triplets to loud),
                          Marta

Mmm...too loud? Not by any chance performed on modern pianos....?!

------------------
                          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                            Mmm...too loud? Not by any chance performed on modern pianos....?!

NO, but by amateur pianists or students, the great pianists play this movement exceptionally WELL.........and YES in modern pianos.

Marta

Comment

If you admire the 3'd of moonlight so much ..I'd advise you to listen to Chopin etudes opus 10-12 , 25-11 , 25-12 and fantasie-impromptu ..there you'll find what I think you really need ..(you can listen to them from www.chopinfiles.com)
                              I will try these, my friend, but what I really need is another 50 or 60 operas by Wagner...

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
                              X