Romanticism again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romanticism again..

Hi ....I think this subject has been throughly discussed, the romantic aspects in Beethoven music was explained throughlly.
    But I still have a question about romanticism in terms of FORM and ELEMENTS of music ...What changes did romantic composers such as Chopin an Brahms added to classical music in this regard..?

Originally posted by Ahmad:
    Hi ....I think this subject has been throughly discussed, the romantic aspects in Beethoven music was explained throughlly.
    But I still have a question about romanticism in terms of FORM and ELEMENTS of music ...What changes did romantic composers such as Chopin an Brahms added to classical music in this regard..?

The element that is most obvious to me, personally, is the expansion of the harmonic language. From the chordal progressions on a more minute level to the overall form where modulations go to unexpected areas in the course of each movement. Even the central key areas of successive movements are expanded. Rhythm is another area that was expanded. Chopin's music, for example, often sounds improvisational because of the rhythmic complexities (perhaps hearkening back to a time prior to the advent of metered music). Those are a couple of things I see that changed in the "Romantic" era.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad:
      If you want a good book, I would reccomend Charles Rosen's "The Romantic Generation". One of the greatest books about music ever, in my opinion, and it succinctly describes the various threads of the early romantic composers. Unfortunately, it only takes you as far as Liszt, so you'll need to look elsewhere for discussion of say Brahms and Wagner. However, the insights he offers into the initial stages of romaticism make an ideal starting point.

Comment

Working...
      X