Favourite Instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Instrument

Which is your favourite orchestral instrument that Beethoven used? and also, which is your most favourite moment in Beethoven's orchestral music that contains your chosen instrument?

Mine, obviously, is the oboe. Beethoven uses it to wonderful effect in his 6th, but my most favourite Beethoven oboe moment would have to be the opening of the 7th Symphony. The sheer simplistic beauty of those opening notes hits me every time.

Regards,
    Michael.

Mine is and always has been the violin. But it's pretty hard to choose a favorite movement for the violin! I thought of a half dozen examples right off the bat that I can't choose from. 3rd symphony, 1st movement; 5th symphony, 1st movement; there are so many.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited May 16, 2003).]

Comment

I ditto Chris's reply above. I think some moments from the quartets would stand out too, as I particularly enjoy small ensemble playing and the demands on a violinist to play as part of the group and not a "solisti" are incredibly difficult in B, as they are in all great chamber works.
      Regards, Gurn
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
        Which is your favourite orchestral instrument that Beethoven used? and also, which is your most favourite moment in Beethoven's orchestral music that contains your chosen instrument?

Mine, obviously, is the oboe. Beethoven uses it to wonderful effect in his 6th, but my most favourite Beethoven oboe moment would have to be the opening of the 7th Symphony. The sheer simplistic beauty of those opening notes hits me every time.

Regards,
        Michael.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OboeKing:

Regards,
          Michael.

[/QUOTE

(Sorry, I hit the reply button too soon)

I love the french horn, especially in the 3rd movement of the 9th symphony and also the the 3rd movement of the Eroica.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by heidi:
            Originally posted by OboeKing:

Regards,
            Michael.

[/QUOTE

(Sorry, I hit the reply button too soon)

I love the french horn, especially in the 3rd movement of the 9th symphony and also the the 3rd movement of the Eroica.

I too am a fan of the French horn, but not as they play it today, the practise of muting the sound I don't like, let the things blow! And you can't beat natural horns for that exhilarating rasp and Beethoven's French horn music benefits from it as you will hear on the Authentic mp3 page in the future.

For some amazing French horn music check out this fantastic new recording of Handel's Water and Fireworks music:
            http://www.glossamusic.com/catalogue/1606.htm

Here the horns used are really natural, not even any hand-stop holes. And the tuning is authentic to which may sound strange at first but adds to the effect nicely.

I'll be sampling the disk shortly at the Handel forum (see the 'Links' page) for those who are interested.
            http://www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/link.html

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited May 16, 2003).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I'm particularly fond of the 'cello - of the 3 soloists in the triple concerto Beethoven makes most demands on the 'cellist. It would have been great if he had written a solo 'cello concerto - still I am content with the Dvorak, Elgar, Saint-Saens and Schumann contributions to that genre!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Jacqueline du pre and Daniel Barenboim
                with the Philadephia Orchestra performing Elgar's Cello Concerto,was the first recording of classical music that I bought ,I was about 16 years old.
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                  Jacqueline du pre and Daniel Barenboim
                  with the Philadephia Orchestra performing Elgar's Cello Concerto,was the first recording of classical music that I bought ,I was about 16 years old.
                  It is of course marvellous to watch on video - an incredible performance.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Forgive me for not responding on this topic re Beethoven; but it's no news to most of you that though I love Beethoven and Bach and others, I am currently in a Wagner obsession. His use of all the horns, French horns, trumpets, trombones and tubas moves me greatly, especially in slow tempos. He invented a special 'Wagner' tuba to get the sounds he wanted. The horn players complain they exhaust themselves playing his works. And Richard Strauss' father, a great French horn player, getting old, decided to retire suddenly from his profession, walking out in the middle of a rehearsal when the orchestra was made to repeat a section of Wagner with a particularly difficult horn passage. Another story is that at the premiere of 'Parsifal' at Bayreuth, Wagner sneaked into the pit at the beginning of the third act, took the baton from the conductor Levi, and conducted that act himself at a very slow tempo. The horn players said afterward that they had never had such a difficult and exhausting playing experience in their lives.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited May 16, 2003).]
                    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

hi:
                      now a days it is the fluit.
                      and mozart fluit concertos are teffic.

Comment

Working...
                      X