The classic romantic beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    Ok Chaszz - Well the full power of the Tonic-Dominant relationship only really became possible with the establishment of equal temperament in the 18th century. This enforced the strength of sharp keys over flat keys - for example going from C major to G major is stronger than going from C to F. Before equal temperament composers were just as likely to use the plagal Cadence (IV-I) relationship as the perfect (V-I). With the High Baroque of Bach and Handel yes they go to the dominant key but they never really establish it as a form of contrast to the tonic - i.e in a simple piece in binary form the first section would modulate to the dominant in the last few bars. The second section would just as quickly modulate back to the tonic. With the Classical era the Tonic-Dominant relationship is fundamental as a means of contrast - therefore in the exposition the dominant is established well before the end of that section with new material generally being introduced in the contrasting key. Now i have talked before about Beethoven's 'substitute' dominants - his use of the mediant (III) or submediant (VI) which serve the same function of dominants because they move towards the sharp direction rather than the subdominant flat direction. This is not to say Beethoven doesn't use the subdominant key, but it is not established as the main contrasting tonality. With the first generation of Romantic composers, there music frequently employs the subdominant as the main secondary tonality, thus weakening the tension - particularly when they write in the freer forms such as ballades and are not trying to produce a text-book sonata form movement. Chopin's Ab Ballade for example never goes to the dominant Eb. So this is not about modulating through different keys, it is about the establishment of a contrasting tonality.

Thank you for this.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Marta:
      Hi Chaszz.

Beethoven's use of the *sonata form* provided the model for most Romantic composers, although major differences in emphasis are evident.
      The Romantic sonata form main different characteristic resides in the treatment of the themes, usually with a tendency to focus on the secondary theme as a self-contained highly expressive cantabile melody.
      Other attributes of the Romantic sonata form are: more frequent omissions of repeated signs; in the development section a tendendency toward variations -episodic treatment; a tendency to shorten the recapitulation in favor of longer codas, which usually contains the apotheosis or climax of the movement.

The expanded tonality of the 19th century, was typified by chromaticism. One notorious effect of this expansion was the increase of remote keys mainly in the secondary themes, those were commonly followed, however, by a progression to the dominant by the end of the exposition.
      Chaszz, not only Wagner uses chromaticism, beginning with Chopin, basically this harmonic treatment can be found in many of the Romantic composers.
      Another harmonic characteristic was the weakeness of the dominant function, by adding unresolved non-harmonic tones, and by sustituing other chords for the dominant in the cadences.

Marta

[This message has been edited by Marta (edited May 15, 2003).]
      Thank you also, Marta

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Working...
      X