Classical Compilations - Yea or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Compilations - Yea or Nay?

Since we're doing polls, i thought i'd put up one as well. Okay, i'm sure everyone has seen the numerous compilations out there: "Classical Adagio", "The Best Classical Album in the world EVER!", "the most peaceful classical album in the galaxy EVER!", "the most peaceful piano pieces in the cosmiverse EVER!" and most recently, i've seen "classical ambient" (?)...

So... do you buy them, do you like them? I have to admit, i have a few, but not many. My favourite is the new one "Karajan FOREVER!!!!!!!"

Believe it or not I actually have a CD entitled 'Beethoven for Book Lovers, An Intimate Companion for Reading'. It's actually quite beautiful as it includes mostly the slow movements from his sonatas and string quartets. I also picked up some '25 favourite hits' types of CD's when I was just starting out with my classical CD collection. Mostly are just bits and pieces of compositions, but I prefer the works in their entirity.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Any source of classical music to get started with is good and it's really great if it inspires one to look out more of the same or better.My mother in law gives me these all the time and so do friends.I admit I don't listen to them.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I tend to shy away from these things. Of grouped selections I have purchased I've heard some of the worst performances of my life. There was a multi cd set of classical piano music in which contains the absolute worst of any performance of a Beethoven work I have ever heard or imagined. And it seems the producers were aware of it since there is no credit given to the pianist!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
          I tend to shy away from these things. Of grouped selections I have purchased I've heard some of the worst performances of my life. There was a multi cd set of classical piano music in which contains the absolute worst of any performance of a Beethoven work I have ever heard or imagined. And it seems the producers were aware of it since there is no credit given to the pianist!
          I have a few of these myself, Sorrano. Absolutely no credit to the pianists or musicians. I wonder how they feel about that. I for one would want my name on it if I worked hard enough to perform the music.

------------------

Comment

I am tempted to simply say "nay" and leave it at that, but you all know I am incapable, so I will go on to say that I would agree with those who say that they are good as an introduction, more or less to see what style/composer(s) you like, but beyond that, I find them very hard to take. For example, why would I, in my wildest fantasies, wish to hear the first movement of, say, Moonlight Sonata and not wish to hear the other two? I can't imagine the circumstances! Well, to each his/her own, I suppose. That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            Regards, Gurn
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
              I am tempted to simply say "nay" and leave it at that, but you all know I am incapable, so I will go on to say that I would agree with those who say that they are good as an introduction, more or less to see what style/composer(s) you like, but beyond that, I find them very hard to take. For example, why would I, in my wildest fantasies, wish to hear the first movement of, say, Moonlight Sonata and not wish to hear the other two? I can't imagine the circumstances! Well, to each his/her own, I suppose. That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              Regards, Gurn
              I totally agree with you, Gurn! That was my 'naive' days when I purchased a few of those 'favourite hit' CD's! Now that I'm more learned (ahem) I can't imagine listening to classical music either without hearing the entire composition! Luckily on my classical radio they never break up the songs and play only movements, they always play them in their entirity.

------------------

Comment

I would add to my initial post by saying that i also started out with one of those compilations. I knew at the time that i liked Bach & Mozart, but my introduction to the others was through compilations. I have a few of those "Greatest EVER!" albums, but that's it (well, i got the Karajan well recently as well, but more for his interpretation of those pieces, rather than for the pieces themselves).

However, i would add that although for the most part, i agree that i prefer listening to full pieces and not excerpted or single movements of a full piece of music, sometimes i do think some pieces of music stand quite well on their own. I think mostly of Mozart, like his Haffner and Gran Partita serenades, which have really wonderful movements, and then some boring ones... (don't stone me!)

Comment

Working...
                X