Florida Philharmonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida Philharmonic

Has anyone heard about what is going on with the Florida Philharmonic? Because of lack of funds, they are shutting down. Living in South Florida myself, I am upset, disgusted and very much saddened. The Philharmonic needed a donation of $500,000 by last Saturday to stay alive. I was hopeful that someone would come forward and save the orchestra. Now, not only do I have no classical music station in my area (the former classical radio station is now a "dance music" station), I have no orchestra to attend! I should seriously consider moving to another state! ;-)

Unfortunately, this seems to be the trend these days. I heard on the radio that a few major symphony orchestras are hitting hard times. Here in Phoenix, Az. the symphony had a close call last year but did bounce back thanks to many contributors. A few orchestral members even went so far as to quit and go elsewhere. The classical radio station is a big hit however and has annual pledge drives to keep it going and it seems to be working. It has been on the air here for over 10 years. I can sympathize with you, I don't know what I would do either without a classical concert to attend every once in a while and without a classical radio station to listen to. Hard times.

------------------
    'Truth and beauty joined'
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven1:
      Has anyone heard about what is going on with the Florida Philharmonic? Because of lack of funds, they are shutting down. Living in South Florida myself, I am upset, disgusted and very much saddened. The Philharmonic needed a donation of $500,000 by last Saturday to stay alive. I was hopeful that someone would come forward and save the orchestra. Now, not only do I have no classical music station in my area (the former classical radio station is now a "dance music" station), I have no orchestra to attend! I should seriously consider moving to another state! ;-)
      Hi!

Very sad indeed. Is my opinion that nowdays the over exposure of pop music in our culture is killing classical music. The young are not exposed to classical music, they grow up ignorant of the icredible amount of wonderful works that classical music has to offer, and how can you appreciate what you don't know?
      My saddnes is beyond words when at the University where I teach, college students never heard NOT even the names of Prokoffiev, Haydn, Rachmaninnov...etc..the list goes on, much less they know the works, they have no idea what are missing in their lifes.
      What you are seeing in Florida, is not the result of hard times but the result of a consistent decline in interest in Classical music in our culture.
      Also with the advent of the great recordings of today, attendance to alive concerts has been affected, is a blessing and curse at the same time, gives us the opportunity to know the repertoire in great amout, but if people don't attend concerts alive, the musicians and the Orchestras can't subsist with only the royalties from recordings, and not all Orchestras have recording contracts, our local Orchestras are the ones that are suffering the most. Very sad.

Marta

Comment

Working...
      X