Bargains at UK Superdrug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bargains at UK Superdrug

Superdrug are selling the complete Beethoven Piano Concertos (3CD set) for £3.99. Quote: "Performances by prize-winning pianist Shoko Sugitani and the Berlin Orchestra". Is anybody familiar with this set?

Earlier in the year, they were selling the complete Beethoven symphonies (5CD set) for only £2.99!! What a bargain, and the recordings were better than some of the full price recordings which I've heard!

Haven't bought the Concertos yet, but I shall be doing, if my local branch has them.

Melvyn.

It gets even better. I just bought the Concerto set and, unbelievably, it also includes Op.61a, the Piano Concerto arrangement of the Violin Concerto! So that's all six Concertos for £3.99. As recordings of Op.61a are quite rare, it might be worth buying the set for this one alone.

Am I right in thinking that this is the only set available where all six concertos are played by the same orchestra and soloist?

I was surprised to see that the recordings are all DDD, so it doesn't look like a re-issue of an old set.

I'm sorry I can't offer an opinion on the performances. The Box is still sealed up and packed in my suitcase ready for when I go on holiday in 3 weeks time. I'm saving them for a holiday treat!

Perhaps I should mention that I have no connection with Superdrug - I just recognise a bargain when I see it!

Melvyn.

Comment

I too noticed the collection of symphony CDs on sale at Superdrug last year (for the non-British amoungst us, Superdrug is a budget chemist/drug store chain in Britain), but due to their ridiculously low price was convinced that there must be something wrong with them, so I didn't buy them! Perhaps I am too cynical.

It is actually quite awful, in a way, that Beethoven, one of the greatest geniuses to ever live, laboured away just so that one day his works would appear at bargain price, thrown into a bargain-basket at Superdrug!
      "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:

It is actually quite awful, in a way, that Beethoven, one of the greatest geniuses to ever live, laboured away just so that one day his works would appear at bargain price, thrown into a bargain-basket at Superdrug!
        Yes but not as ghastly as a classical cd compilation from a women's magazine given to me by a friend which had around 20 pieces, one of which lasted all of 2 minutes and was described as Beethoven's 5th symphony!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I too noticed the collection of symphony CDs on sale at Superdrug last year, but due to their ridiculously low price was convinced that there must be something wrong with them, so I didn't buy them! Perhaps I am too cynical.

Well, if it brings Beethoven's music to a wider audience, then it must be a good thing. Fortunately, although they are a bargain price they do seem to be items of quality, and not just cheap and nasty.

Yes I understand your reservations about the Symphonies, but I thought for only £2.99 you can't go wrong. Even if I only play them once and throw them away, I've still had my £2.99's worth and 5 free jewel cases!

I was very surprised how good they were.

Melvyn.

Comment

Seems a good deal if you're short of cash! In any case, a high price is not a guarantee of quality in the world of classical music, as I have often found to my cost!

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited May 01, 2003).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Seems a good deal if you're short of cash! In any case, a high price is not a guarantee of quality in the world of classical music, as I have often found to my cost!

I too went into my local Superdrug, and there, near the tills in a bargain bucket, was Beethoven's complete Symphonies. I was totally dumbfounded!
              I too thought they would be of an awful quality and so did not even give them a second glance. I am regretting it now!

Comment

The CDs are from the 'Brilliant Classics' label. I found this information about them:

"Brilliant Classics has built in its 6-years existence an unheard-of reputation of being the label offering the highest possible quality at the lowest possible price.

The recordings are partly licensed by full-price high-quality classical labels, and partly the recordings are newly made, offering young exciting artists to present themselves for a wide audience."

The Symphony set was a licensed one, but the Piano Concertos are brand new recordings.

Melvyn.

Comment

But would they have appeared in a bargain basket if they hadn't already been heard in innumerable concert halls, theaters, gymnasiums, parks, etc., etc.? Who else's music from two hundred years ago was in that basket?

Comment

Working...
                  X