Clear All

Authentic page - Op.1nr.1

Available to members at the new Authentic instruments page
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

A wonderful movement. Thanks, Rod.

Who wrote the excellent notes? If Rod, the term 'the genius of Mozart' would seem to mark a departure from your habitual dictum that only Handel and Beethoven are true geniuses in classical music...no?

And re "Vienna mourning the genius of Mozert": I'm not too familiar with the reactions of the Viennese public after Mozart's death. I always had the impression they didn't think he was too special during his lifetime. Pretty good, but not a genius. And that he was sort of neglected near the end of his short life. And buried in a pauper's grave. Did they change their minds right after he died? Any information on his reputation before and shortly after his death would be appreciated.

- Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 30, 2003).]
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Available to members at the new Authentic instruments page
      www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/authentic.html

Rod,
      Thank you very much for this, I will listen to it tonight. Since I have 3 other versions of this trio, all on modern instruments, this will be an excellent piece to compare by, and one of my favorites, too.
      Regards,
      Gurn
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
        A wonderful movement. Thanks, Rod.

Who wrote the excellent notes? If Rod, the term 'the genius of Mozart' would seem to mark a departure from your habitual dictum that only Handel and Beethoven are true geniuses in classical music...no?

And re "Vienna mourning the genius of Mozert": I'm not too familiar with the reactions of the Viennese public after Mozart's death. I always had the impression they didn't think he was too special during his lifetime. Pretty good, but not a genius. And that he was sort of neglected near the end of his short life. And buried in a pauper's grave. Did they change their minds right after he died? Any information on his reputation before and shortly after his death would be appreciated.

- Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 30, 2003).]
        Rest assured that the author was neither Rod nor myself. Mozart wasn't buried in a pauper's grave - he was given a 3rd class funeral which cost Constanze around 8 florins. An interesting anecdote is that the day after Mozart died (Dec 5th 1791), a pupil of Mozart's - Magdalena Hofdemel was left disfigured after being brutally attacked with a razor by her husband (who then killed himself) - she had been practising the slow movement of Mozart's last Bb piano concerto. Beethoven subsequently refused to play in the presence of Magdalena as he believed the motive for the attack was that she had been Mozart's mistress, an assertion for which there is no evidence, but it was a rumour that obviously lingered in Vienna for some years.

re. Mozart's reputation in 1791 - he was actually rather popular having just composed the first series of great dance music for the Imperial court - Haydn continued in 1792 and Beethoven provided the music for 1795. There was the commission for La Clemenza di Tito - and of course the Magic flute was also a huge success, though Mozart died before he could receive the full benefits - his wife did very well!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          Rod,
          Thank you very much for this, I will listen to it tonight. Since I have 3 other versions of this trio, all on modern instruments, this will be an excellent piece to compare by, and one of my favorites, too.
          Regards,
          Gurn
          Yes - I have this recording and it is excellent. The vitality and excitement generated by these performers is really exhilerating!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Yes - I have this recording and it is excellent. The vitality and excitement generated by these performers is really exhilerating!

The two remaining trios from this opus will appear together at the next update of the page. They are from disks other than those by the Castle Trio so you may be interested in downloading them Peter.

Yes the words were not mine, but edited from the cd I will use for No2. Mozart may not have been a particularly big deal for Vienna at large, but within the musical fraternity he must have been huge. Beethoven, to name but one, was in awe of Mozart as a youth and for some time afterwards.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I love this piece. I have a recording of the Beethoven Piano Trios with Vladimir Ashkenazy, Itzhak Perlman and Lynn Harrell and my favorite is the trio Op. 1, Nr.1 in E flat major. I really enjoyed hearing the finale being performed on authentic instruments. Wonderful and many thanks to you Rod for this recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                I love this piece. I have a recording of the Beethoven Piano Trios with Vladimir Ashkenazy, Itzhak Perlman and Lynn Harrell and my favorite is the trio Op. 1, Nr.1 in E flat major. I really enjoyed hearing the finale being performed on authentic instruments. Wonderful and many thanks to you Rod for this recording.
                My purpose is to demonstrate that the use of authentic instruments will allow for a more satisfying effect than their modern counterparts, in the right hands of course.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited May 02, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  Beethoven, to name but one, was in awe of Mozart as a youth and for some time afterwards.

Perhaps more than just some time afterwards! - February 6 1826, to Abbe Maximilian Stadler: "I have always reckoned myself among the greatest admirers of Mozart, and shall do so till the day of my death."

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

The two remaining trios from this opus will appear together at the next update of the page. They are from disks other than those by the Castle Trio so you may be interested in downloading them Peter.

I'm always interested in downloading your selections, unless of course I already have them! I'm particularly fond of Op.1 no.3 and I think the Castle trio make a superb job of it. It will be interesting to compare.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't know how to download these files for future use, once the file is removed from the internet. Could somone please tell me how to download them?

Thanks,
                      Chaszz
                      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        I don't know how to download these files for future use, once the file is removed from the internet. Could somone please tell me how to download them?

Thanks,
                        Chaszz
                        I thought you knew all about this sort of thing! I'm a Mac user but with the PC I think if it does not download to your hard drive when you click on the link, try using the right mouse button. I think a menu will appear with download options.

------------------

Comment

A wonderful movement, so dear to my heart is the "Great Mogul". I am proud to possess in my collection Beethoven's Piano Trios by the - BEAUX ARTS TRIO - . They are superb and spellbinding, and seem to have a freshness every time I listen to them.

Lysander

Comment

I thought you knew all about this sort of thing! I'm a Mac user but with the PC I think if it does not download to your hard drive when you click on the link, try using the right mouse button. I think a menu will appear with download options.
                            Yes, right-click and choose "save target as" and you can save it to your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

A wonderful movement, so dear to my heart is the "Great Mogul". I am proud to possess in my collection Beethoven's Piano Trios by the - BEAUX ARTS TRIO - . They are superb and spellbinding, and seem to have a freshness every time I listen to them.

Lysander
                              How would you compare the Beaux Arts version with the current mp3?

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X