Wagner 'Meistersinger' excerpt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagner 'Meistersinger' excerpt

Well, Wagnerphobes, here we go again. A negative comment about Wagner from Rod (in the thread about Brahms today), inspires me to quixotically FTP a track today and another in a few days from the last act of Die Meistersinger. I saw this last Friday evening at the Met but must say that this time I was not greatly moved, felt Levine's conducting and the production somehow indefinably lacked the magic this score arouses in me. Here is the prize song scene as conducted in 1970 by Karajan with the Chorus and Orchestra of the Dresden State Opera, and tenor René Kollo. (Remember, to start it playing immediately instead of waiting for a download, Copy the URL below with your mouse; then open a player like Quicktime, Real or Windows Media, click the File menu, click on Open URL, paste the URL into the slot and start the player.)
    http://www.zigmund.com/Meistersinger1.MP3
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Could you tell me what is the title of this passage (if any) or anything to rename it properly in my Wagner's mp3 directory?
    Thanks!

Really enjoyed it! I started likeing Wagner since I bought a recording of the flying dutchman that was too new (in a used cd store) and too cheap to believe, someone (happily) didn't like it. It's the only recording I have from Wagner, since I can't afford much of his recording, triple, quadruple cds are too expensive. I've heard also Die Walküre with Georg Solti (really, really outstanding), but it was borrowed...
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:

Really enjoyed it! I started likeing Wagner since I bought a recording of the flying dutchman that was too new (in a used cd store) and too cheap to believe, someone (happily) didn't like it. It's the only recording I have from Wagner, since I can't afford much of his recording, triple, quadruple cds are too expensive. I've heard also Die Walküre with Georg Solti (really, really outstanding), but it was borrowed...

Die Fliegender Hollander is among my favorite operas! And one of my first real experiences with Wagner as well. Glad you were able to locate that at a good price!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
        Well, Wagnerphobes, here we go again. A negative comment about Wagner from Rod (in the thread about Brahms today), inspires me to quixotically FTP a track today and another in a few days from the last act of Die Meistersinger. I saw this last Friday evening at the Met but must say that this time I was not greatly moved, felt Levine's conducting and the production somehow indefinably lacked the magic this score arouses in me. Here is the prize song scene as conducted in 1970 by Karajan with the Chorus and Orchestra of the Dresden State Opera, and tenor René Kollo. (Remember, to start it playing immediately instead of waiting for a download, Copy the URL below with your mouse; then open a player like Quicktime, Real or Windows Media, click the File menu, click on Open URL, paste the URL into the slot and start the player.)
        http://www.zigmund.com/Meistersinger1.MP3

Thank you for sharing! Are you familiar with the Solti recording of this opera? It is the only version I have heard to date.

Comment

Great! Keep them coming! I still have hope that the Wagnerphobes have hope of redemption!

I intend to find an online version of a short story Wagner wrote in his youth, called 'A Pilgrimage to Beethoven' ('Ein Pilgerfahrt zu Beethoven'), which describes the journey of a poor, country musician to the home of his idol and hero in Vienna in the early 1820s. It's a great story, and Wagner's passion and love for Beethoven shines throughout, and it is clear what a debt he owed him musically (and philosophically). I think the Beethoven lovers on this forum will certainly appreciate it (and hopefully view Wagner more favourably). There is also another story, a sequel about the same character, A Happy Evening ('Ein glucklicher Abend'), in which the same musician goes with a friend to a concert where a symphony by both Mozart and Beethoven are played, and later on, over several glasses of punch they discuss together how the music moves them, how it touches them on such a deep spiritual level, and how Mozart and Beethoven compliment each other so beautifully (Mozart - elegant, feminine and graceful, Beethoven - strong, masculine and masterful). Beautiful stories that will be appreciated by all lovers of classical music, and Beethoven and Mozart in particular.
          It shows also what a deep understanding Wagner had of music, its beauty and significance.

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited April 29, 2003).]
          "It is only as an aesthetic experience that existence is eternally justified" - Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Steppenwolf:
            Great! Keep them coming! I still have hope that the Wagnerphobes have hope of redemption!

I intend to find an online version of a short story Wagner wrote in his youth, called 'A Pilgrimage to Beethoven' ('Ein Pilgerfahrt zu Beethoven'), which describes the journey of a poor, country musician to the home of his idol and hero in Vienna in the early 1820s. It's a great story, and Wagner's passion and love for Beethoven shines throughout, and it is clear what a debt he owed him musically (and philosophically). I think the Beethoven lovers on this forum will certainly appreciate it (and hopefully view Wagner more favourably). There is also another story, a sequel about the same character, A Happy Evening ('Ein glucklicher Abend'), in which the same musician goes with a friend to a concert where a symphony by both Mozart and Beethoven are played, and later on, over several glasses of punch they discuss together how the music moves them, how it touches them on such a deep spiritual level, and how Mozart and Beethoven compliment each other so beautifully (Mozart - elegant, feminine and graceful, Beethoven - strong, masculine and masterful). Beautiful stories that will be appreciated by all lovers of classical music, and Beethoven and Mozart in particular.
            It shows also what a deep understanding Wagner had of music, its beauty and significance.

[This message has been edited by Steppenwolf (edited April 29, 2003).]
            Steppenwolf, you will find both of these fine stories at this address:
            http://users.belgacom.net/wagnerlibrary/prose/index.htm

Look for 'A Pilgrammage to Beethoven' and 'A Happy Evening'. I previously drew attention to 'A Happy Evening' on this forum, but I don't think anyone noticed. It is a indeed a beautifully written tribute to Mozart, Beethoven and music in general.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 29, 2003).]
            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
              Could you tell me what is the title of this passage (if any) or anything to rename it properly in my Wagner's mp3 directory?
              Thanks!

This is the song that wins first prize in the song contest that the opera is about. So it might be titled 'Prize Song'. Or, often scenes go by their first lines; the first line here is "Morgenlich leuchtend im rosigen Schein" ("Shining in the rosy light of morning"). The winner is singing a tribute to his beloved, although what is shining here is a garden, the beloved appears later.

Rutradelusasa, I would like to make more Wagner MP3s available to you since you cannot afford to buy, but it's inappropriate to do it on the Beethoven forum. If I get some time I'll create a Wagner MP3 site as Rod has done for Handel. In the meantime, there will be one more short scene from Die Meistersinger here later this week.

- Chaszz

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Thank you for sharing! Are you familiar with the Solti recording of this opera? It is the only version I have heard to date.
                No, I haven't heard the Solti Meistersinger. I have Karajan and Swallisch, each of which gives me great pleasure... I have Solti's Ring, which is superb. I hope to put some excerpts from it on the Wagner MP3 site I am planning.

- Chaszz

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                  No, I haven't heard the Solti Meistersinger. I have Karajan and Swallisch, each of which gives me great pleasure... I have Solti's Ring, which is superb. I hope to put some excerpts from it on the Wagner MP3 site I am planning.

- Chaszz

I, too, have the Solti Ring. Haven't listened to it yet (that takes a bit of time to do!) but about 10 years ago there was a live production (from the Met, I believe) with Levine. This was my first experience with the Ring and I thoroghly enjoyed; in fact I found myself drawn and moved deeply by the entire and complete artwork.

Comment

Working...
                  X