The Last String Quartets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Last String Quartets

Opus 127, 130, 131, 132, and 135. Circa 1822-1826. A lot of different opinions has been said of these great works. Some flattering, some not. "unintelligible and shapeless" are some words used to describe them and on the other side, "exquisitely and logically constructed and finished to the highest degree". What do you all think of these complicated and unique works?
    'Truth and beauty joined'

When I first heard these I couldn't help but wonder how LVB's contemporary audience might have reacted to them,I think they must have
    been astounded.These works take more than one listen to really appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by mspaceray:
      When I first heard these I couldn't help but wonder how LVB's contemporary audience might have reacted to them,I think they must have
      been astounded.These works take more than one listen to really appreciate.
      Absolutely - I can well remember not liking them on first hearing as a 13 year old and much preferring Op.18 even to Op.59 (the shame of it!) However I have since seen the light and on each hearing these last quartets continue to reveal something new - quite amazing!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

sublime
        See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by mspaceray:
          When I first heard these I couldn't help but wonder how LVB's contemporary audience might have reacted to them,I think they must have been astounded.These works take more than one listen to really appreciate.
          I agree with you and I don't know how the audience reacted to the majority of them, but from what I've read 'The Cavatina' had an immediate success with the first audience of the quartet, who asked for it to be repeated. Beethoven said, “Never did my own music produce such an effect upon me; even now when I recall this work it still costs me a tear.”
          Reported by Holz. B thought this the crown of all quartet movements and one of his favourite compositions.
          It's also interesting that this was written during the summer of 1825, when B’s relationship with his nephew Karl was particularly painful. Holz declared that ’the Cavatina was composed amid tears of grief; never had his music reached such a pitch of expressiveness, and the very memory of this piece used to bring tears to his eyes'.
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Opus 127, 130, 131, 132, and 135. Circa 1822-1826. A lot of different opinions has been said of these great works. Some flattering, some not. "unintelligible and shapeless" are some words used to describe them and on the other side, "exquisitely and logically constructed and finished to the highest degree". What do you all think of these complicated and unique works?
            Tchaikovsky saw in these late quartets "glimmers and nothing more...the rest is chaos". I like being given the opportunity to resurrect this particular quote!

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

My real introduction to these quartets came with the performance of the slow movement of either the last or the penultimate (I can't recall which it was). This was one of my most profound experiences with any of Beethoven's music; I was so deeply moved by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                Tchaikovsky saw in these late quartets "glimmers and nothing more...the rest is chaos". I like being given the opportunity to resurrect this particular quote!

Deaf to the barren tumult of the outer world, he opens up his ear to the life within.

"He sees the world with eyes that are as clear as ever. But he is not afraid to draw aside the curtain that viels the abyss.
                He knows no fear of 'chaos' out of which matter is made form, because he is aware of his power to give form to all that his eyes have seen"

- Walter Riezler, on BEETHOVEN.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited April 29, 2003).]

Comment

I've only heard Opus 132, and i love it. I especially love the third movement.

Comment

Working...
                  X