Beethoven Violin Concerto Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven Violin Concerto Ideas

Any suggestions,recommendations on this work? Thanks.

Originally posted by TJJ:

I love Beethoven's glorious Violin Concerto Opus 61. played by - Itzhak Perlman, recorded in 1980. EMI Classics.
    The slow movement has the utmost delicious calm and beauty from both the soloist and orchestra.

Beethoven dedicated this work to his childhood friend, Stephan von Breuning.

Comment

I have two versions which I recommend :

Chamber Orchestra of Europe - Nikolaus Harnoncourt/Gidon Kremer -Teldec 9031-74881-2

Jascha Heifetz (violin), Charles Munch/Boston Symphony Orchestra RCA Living Stereo

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter,I have heard good things about the Heifetz/Munch recording. I will give that as well as others consideration.

Comment

Zehetmair (vn) Bruggen (cond) - Orchestra of the 18th Centrury, Phillips label.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

I love Beethoven's glorious Violin Concerto Opus 61. played by - Itzhak Perlman, recorded in 1980. EMI Classics.
            The slow movement has the utmost delicious calm and beauty from both the soloist and orchestra.

Beethoven dedicated this work to his childhood friend, Stephan von Breuning.
            Lysander, I have heard this work too and I highly recommend it. Perlman doing some of his best work. Very good recording!

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Peter,I have heard good things about the Heifetz/Munch recording. I will give that as well as others consideration.
              My recording is coupled with the Brahms Violin concerto.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Actually Peter the Brahms is another piece I'm looking to purchase. I'm looking to make a few buys tomorrow and it's a pretty long list. If I can't come up with it tomorrow,perhaps that might be something to look for at Berkshire. Thanks.

Comment

In my opinion, Beethoven's violin concerto is perhaps the greatest ever written. Obviously I haven't heard every single one, but of all the celebrated standards of the violin concerto repertoire Beethoven's is far superior!

Regards,
                  Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
                    [B]In my opinion, Beethoven's violin concerto is perhaps the greatest ever written.
                    B]
                    Fear not, you can remove the word 'perhaps' from the above sentence!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      Fear not, you can remove the word 'perhaps' from the above sentence!

the only reason I even used that word was because I didn't want to make too grand a statement!

Regards,
                      Michael.

Comment

Peter made mention of owning a recording which was coupled with the Brahms Violin Concerto. Well,don't know whether it's the same recording but I made purchase of the Milstein recording and the Pittsburgh Symphony under Steinberg. Couldn't pass it up at $8.99 US. Will listen tomorrow and try to give my assessment.

Comment

Peter made mention of owning a recording which was coupled with the Brahms Violin Concerto. Well,don't know whether it's the same recording but I made purchase of the Milstein recording and the Pittsburgh Symphony under Steinberg.
                          No, my recording is Jascha Heifetz (violin), Charles Munch/Boston Symphony Orchestra RCA Living Stereo.

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
                            In my opinion, Beethoven's violin concerto is perhaps the greatest ever written. Obviously I haven't heard every single one, but of all the celebrated standards of the violin concerto repertoire Beethoven's is far superior!

Regards,
                            Michael.

Actually I think the Alban Berg Violin Concerto is about the finest I've ever heard. Do you know this one? If not, check out the Anne Sophie Mutter recording...that will bring anyone to tears. (Incidentally, Mutter's recording of the Beethoven is my favourite recording of that piece too.)

Comment

Originally posted by orpheus:

Actually I think the Alban Berg Violin Concerto is about the finest I've ever heard. Do you know this one? If not, check out the Anne Sophie Mutter recording...that will bring anyone to tears. (Incidentally, Mutter's recording of the Beethoven is my favourite recording of that piece too.)
                              I would not particularly rate Mutter as a good Beethoven violinist from what I've heard, her playing is somewhat erratic to say the least. I would be surprised if she could do anything with the Concerto. I didn't like her performances of the Sonatas (that were televised) at all.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X