7th Symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7th Symphony

I was listening to the 7th symphony last night by The Vienna Philharmonic and along with it some commentary. One critic from the 19th century said "It seems almost like a hoax." Another reviewer said, "It pummels you against the wall, pounding." The second movment of the 7th, it seems, was sometimes substituted for the second movement of the 8th Symphony at concerts! How bizarre is that!
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    The second movment of the 7th, it seems, was sometimes substituted for the second movement of the 8th Symphony at concerts! How bizarre is that!
    That is bizarre. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the 7th's second movement was subsituted in other symphonies, esp. the earlier ones, considering its popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
      That is bizarre. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the 7th's second movement was subsituted in other symphonies, esp. the earlier ones, considering its popularity.
      I seem to recall this also. Also that when they first played the 2nd movement, it got such an ovation they had to play it twice! I can't even imagine this type of thing happening in our concert halls today. Or attending a concert ready to hear a certain symphony and they stick in another movement from somewhere else! Unacceptable now. Although before the people probably didn't even know because there were no recordings or radios that they would know the difference even! Still the concerts of the past must have been awfully confusing at times. Beethoven at times would even start a concert over because it started out badly played or so he thought. I can't imagine going to a concert and having it play for several minutes and then all of a sudden it starts over! It seems we're more disciplined now or something. We stick to the 'script' more as it were. More rehersals perhaps.

Joy

Comment

There were many comments made by those making speculations as to the "meaning" of one or all of Beethoven's works. I found this in the book "Beethoven" by Maynard Solomon:

"Nowhere has this tendency been more manifest than in nineteenth-century interpretations of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony. Berlioz heard a "Ronde des Paysans" in the first movement; Wagner called the symphony the "Apotheosis of the Dance"; Lenz saw it as a second Pastoral Symphony, complete with village wedding and peasant dances; Nohl visualized a Knight's Festival and Oulibicheff the masquerade or diversion of a multitude drunk with joy and wine. For A.B. Marx it was the wedding festival celebration of a warrior people. More recently, Bekker called it a "bacchic orgy", and Ernest Newman described it as "the upsurge of a powerful dionysiac impulse, a divine intoxication of the spirit."

From "Beethoven and His Nine Symphonies" by George Grove:

" It is a rare thing for Beethoven to mention his compositions in terms of praise or blame, but he has made an exception in favour of this Symphony (the 7th). He names it twice--first in a letter to Salomon ( 1 June 1815):"A grand Symphony in A, one of my best works"; and again in an English letter to Neate, in which occur the words:"amoung my best works which I can boldly say of the Symphony in A."

Comment

Yet concerning the lack of success of the 8th at the time compared to the 7th, what was the reason for this relative 'failure' to satisfy the audiences anticipation? - "Because it (the 8th) is so much better" is Beethoven's own explanation according to Carl Czerny.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

It seems we're more disciplined now or something. We stick to the 'script' more as it were. More rehersals perhaps.
            Well, i've been to a concert where the double bass player stopped playing, and started tuning his instrument!

Comment

I seem to recall this also. Also that when they first played the 2nd movement, it got such an ovation they had to play it twice!
              We read it on this web site, ha ha!

"Then follows the slow movement in the minor key (Allegretto). From the outset this movement was of great popularity with the audiences of the day, and to have it repeated at concerts was the norm. On occasion it was even substituted in place of the existing slow movements of his earlier symphonies during performances of these works!"

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                There were many comments made by those making speculations as to the "meaning" of one or all of Beethoven's works. I found this in the book "Beethoven" by Maynard Solomon:

"Nowhere has this tendency been more manifest than in nineteenth-century interpretations of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony. Berlioz heard a "Ronde des Paysans" in the first movement; Wagner called the symphony the "Apotheosis of the Dance"; Lenz saw it as a second Pastoral Symphony, complete with village wedding and peasant dances; Nohl visualized a Knight's Festival and Oulibicheff the masquerade or diversion of a multitude drunk with joy and wine. For A.B. Marx it was the wedding festival celebration of a warrior people. More recently, Bekker called it a "bacchic orgy", and Ernest Newman described it as "the upsurge of a powerful dionysiac impulse, a divine intoxication of the spirit."

From "Beethoven and His Nine Symphonies" by George Grove:

" It is a rare thing for Beethoven to mention his compositions in terms of praise or blame, but he has made an exception in favour of this Symphony (the 7th). He names it twice--first in a letter to Salomon ( 1 June 1815):"A grand Symphony in A, one of my best works"; and again in an English letter to Neate, in which occur the words:"amoung my best works which I can boldly say of the Symphony in A."
                One things's for sure I bet this Symphony has more interpretations and opposite opinions than any other. Another reviewer called it 'a very dangerous piece'. (I also read the book 'Beethoven and his Nine Symphonies'. Good book, no)?

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited April 17, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
                  We read it on this web site, ha ha!

Thanks! I've read so many books on Beethoven for several years now that I don't even know where I read half of the information anymore!!

Joy

Comment

Working...
                  X