Beethoven & Mozarts Minor Key Concertos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven & Mozarts Minor Key Concertos

My Beethoven Piano Concerto booklet (Alfred Brendel/Chicago Symphony Orchestra/James Levine) states:

"...he (Beethoven) admired Mozart's concertos more than any of his other works. He played the D minor concerto K466 in public a number of times, and even composed his own cadenzas for the first and last movements."

I love Mozart's No. 20 above all his other piano concertos, i was wondering if anyone knew whether Beethoven's cadenza compositions (?) survived and if so, whether there are any recordings of them?

Thanks in advance.

They certainly do survive - indeed I have never heard any others used in performances of this concerto.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm a fan of Mozart's Piano Concerto #20 too!
      I also heard that Beethoven had once said that Mozart's Magic Flute Overture was also one of his favourite Mozart tunes as is mine.

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited April 16, 2003).]
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        They certainly do survive - indeed I have never heard any others used in performances of this concerto.
        Sorry, i must come across as a real philistine. I got Clara Haskil's 1960 recording, which has her own cadenza. Does anyone have any other recommendation (it would be very convinient if Mozart's 21st Piano Concerto on it as well)?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
          Sorry, i must come across as a real philistine. I got Clara Haskil's 1960 recording, which has her own cadenza. Does anyone have any other recommendation (it would be very convinient if Mozart's 21st Piano Concerto on it as well)?

Thanks.
          Well I have the complete Mozart piano concertos with Derek Han and the Philharmonia.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:

Thanks.
            Simple choice, Posiedon, if you are not concerned over authentic instruments etc., Jeno Jando's recording on Naxos is not only quite good, but it specifically states in the programme "Cadenzas by L.v.Beethoven". It is not coupled with the 21st (13th, actually), but that is a pretty fine PC also, so a good time to explore for $7 US!!
            Regards, Gurn

PS - Though you didn't ask, I will add that the d minor is in the top 5 of my favorite works by Mozart, IMHO it is superb in harmonic quality and compelling forward movement.

[This message has been edited by Gurn Blanston (edited April 16, 2003).]
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I have the Bilson/Gardiner complete set, and it is really spectacular, especially my favorite, the 23rd. I do have a set of the 20th (with the Beethoven cadenzas), 21st, 22nd, and 23rd, but I don't think I will even mention it because it is the most awful recording I have ever heard of anything ever.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. It depends now if the local tower records have anything recommended. Living in Kuala Lumpur, one gets plenty of everything except classical. If it's not there, i'll do some on-line shopping again

Comment

Working...
                X