Hausmusik - String Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hausmusik - String Qt

Has anyone heard of them? There's Mendelssohn's Octet released on Virgin (i think) which i'm thinking of getting. Anyone know of them or can recommend (or otherwise) them?

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
    Has anyone heard of them? There's Mendelssohn's Octet released on Virgin (i think) which i'm thinking of getting. Anyone know of them or can recommend (or otherwise) them?
    I have the CD of which you speak, the double set also includes both string quintets and one of the quartets. I was very pleased with the performance and the sound on this CD, and of course, the music itself is magnifique.
    Regards, Gurn
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

Yes I have Beethoven's quintet op29 and the Septet on CD by Hausmusic on EMI. They play on period instruments so that is a plus for starters. Pretty good performance too.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Just got my purchase from hmv.co.uk! Absolutely brillant. Also got Beethoven's symphonies 1 & 3 (Norrington/LSO), quite good too. Norrington has grown on me. I prefer his conducting of Coriolan & Egmont than Kurt Masur, for example. I'm really pleased.

Comment

Just got my purchase from hmv.co.uk! Absolutely brillant. Also got Beethoven's symphonies 1 & 3 (Norrington/LSO), quite good too. Norrington has grown on me. I prefer his conducting of Coriolan & Egmont than Kurt Masur, for example. I'm really pleased.
            I like No3 of Norrington's, but the best disk from his set is that containing 2 & 8. The Egmont is the worst conducted Beethoven overture from my experience, usually its done so slow and heavily. N is more spritely with this piece, but I think his rendition of the intro could do with a little more conviction.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Pos.;
              Delighted that you like them. This is some of my favorite non-Beethoven (the Octet), and of the 4 versions I have, this is my favorite one.
              Regards, Gurn
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for all your help, yes i am well and truly pleased. I just another purchase today from amazon.co.uk, this one of Karajan's 1978 recording of the 4th piano concerto & the 1970 recording of the triple. The fourth is always absolutely brilliant, this recording is no different from the one i have with Alfred Brendel (can't remember the exact details offhand), but the Triple truly sparkles. I had Barenboim, Yo-Yo Ma and Perlman's recording, and i have to say that it is nothing compared to Karajan's!

Gurn: i had the Cleveland Quartet for Mendelssohn's Octet, and it was horrible. I kept on listening to it, wondering whether there was some mistake, ha ha!

Rod: i have to agree totally. I have Karajan's and Masur's recordings of the Egmont, and they don't compare to Norrington. I love Norrington's Coriolan as well.

Can anyone tell me if Norrington's version of Missa Solemnis is worth buying (or not)?

Comment

Gurn: i had the Cleveland Quartet for Mendelssohn's Octet, and it was horrible. I kept on listening to it, wondering whether there was some mistake, ha ha!
                  I have just one recording by them, the Dvorak F major Quartet (American), and I think that it has a tendency to lack momentum somehow, but I wouldn't call it awful. Glad you didn't ask for a recommendation about them ;-)) I must say, if the Octet sounded truly bad, it certainly was a mistake, because this is truly a great piece of music. Glad you got the goods.
                  Regards, Gurn
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I'm afraid you have your data wrong. As far as I know, Norrington never recorded LvB with the LSO (a full sized modern symphony orchestra). His small band of period practice musicians is named London Classical Players. He is currently re-recording the whole shebang with the Stuttgart Radio (this time on a modern, full sized orchestra) on Hänssler. If that's of any interest to you, Classicstoday.com reviewers see the newer recordings as excellent, while panning the LCP version as an 8th Egyptian plague. The Missa Solemnis is reviewed in a gushing article in Music Web (link to: http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/...Norrington.htm ).

Comment

Originally posted by Kreutzer:
                      I'm afraid you have your data wrong. As far as I know, Norrington never recorded LvB with the LSO (a full sized modern symphony orchestra). His small band of period practice musicians is named London Classical Players. He is currently re-recording the whole shebang with the Stuttgart Radio.
                      You're absolutely right, i meant the London Classical Players. I also just read about the re-recordings, sounds interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X