Beethoven unheard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven unheard

I once read about some scientists (anthropologists?) visiting a primitive tribe in some remote corner of the world. They had brought a gramophone and one day they played a string quartet by Beethoven.

One would not expect their hosts to understand the music, but it seems that their lack of comprehension was one step beyond that: They did not seem to even HEAR it!

Does anyone know about this incident? I would like to know:

1. When did this happen?
    2. Where?
    3. Where is the story originally told?

And of course I would be happy if someone could supply me with the exact words, that were originally used to describe this incident.

Thanks in advance for any information.

This is not really a question about Beethoven, but I find it rather significant that those scientists chose his music - and indeed a string quartet - for this experiment.
    Be true! Be true! Be true!

I heard of this story as well on a news program last year. I'm afraid I can't give you all the details you are asking for, but it must have happened recently if it was on the news. It was in a remote area and the people loved what they were hearing not ever having heard of Beethoven or even classical music for that matter. I don't know why the scientist chose Beethoven's music except that he obviously wanted them to hear the very best.
    Another incident concerning scientists and Beethoven. Recently they played Beethoven's music for some cows while they were producing milk and pop music for another group of cows. The cows who were listening to Beethoven produced far more milk than the ones listening to pop! Had to do something with the more relaxing classical music as opposed to the more jarring pop music.

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Sounds like two different stories! I read mine about ten years ago and the point was that those people simply did not hear the music.
      Be true! Be true! Be true!

Comment

Working...
      X