Wagner Parsifal at the Met

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagner Parsifal at the Met

I saw the season premiere of Wagner's last opera 'Parsifal' at the Met in New York on Friday evening. I had a wonderful experience from start to finish at my first live Wagner opera. I thought the singing and orchestral playing were superb. Although tempos were slow and the performance took 5 1/2 hours with intermissions, the work seemed to unfold more quickly and compactly than I had anticipated, as the drama never flagged. Having read up on the opera earlier in the week, I thought I was able to see beyond the Christian imagery to the deeper symbolism and synthesis of religious ideas, including Buddhism and Hinduism, that Wagner was attempting, which the radiance of the music always supported and sustained. Since I am relatively new to opera and not knowedgable on singing, I will just say that I was moved by all the singers, especially Placido Domingo as Parsifal, Violeta Urmana as Kundry, and Falk Struckman as Amfortas. Conductor Valery Gergiev coaxed a rich glowing sound from the orchestra, although there were one or two spots where his control slipped a bit.

I saw Fidelio earlier this season at the Met, as many of you will remember, and in both these cases a real astonishment was at the scenery and lighting. In Parsifal it was even more stunning than in Fidelio. In the forest and meadow scenes the ground seemed to be tilted up from front to back of the stage, so that the whole audience, even those in the orchestra, could see the beauty of the glowing painting on the ground as well as in the backgrounds. Yet the actors seemed to traverse these areas effortlessly; there was no indication they were trying to keep their balance on an uneven or tilted surface, it seemed flat and horizontal from their movements. So this was a mystery. A greater mystery was how the beautiful and variegated Klingsor's magic garden, when cursed by Parsifal, withered and died to black decay at his gesture, in front of my eyes. I later learned something about the scrim curtain that makes this possible, and that was used to great effect at other times also.

The flower maidens and their music were perfectly delightful. There were about twenty extras in addition to the six who sang. A further piece of visual magic was that each one appeared clothed at one time and nude at another, depending on how their bodies and costumes moved from one pose to another. Had I not forgotten my opera glasses at home, I might have been able to make more sense out of this effect.

Because I am a painter maybe I react more strongly to the sets and lighting than many seasoned opera-goers and critics, I don't know, but I find in reviews the visual aspect is rarely mentioned and mostly only in passing. The scenic directors and artists must feel something of a lifelong slight. Opera is supposed to be a complete artistic fusion, and I find the aural and visual complement each other at the Met and raise the whole to an unequalled experience. I think it's sad that this is rarely alluded to in print.

Altogether an experience that is still resonating in my ears, mind and heart over two days later.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 07, 2003).]
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Your enthusiasm is infectious! I have not seen Parsifal live (or any Wagner opera for that matter) - The fact remains that no one can really judge an operatic performance unless they've been there as you have, it simply is not the same on video or cd.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

One or two other interesting things: at the 2nd intermission, I went downstairs and down in front to have a look at the pit. Most of the musicians were gone (to what I had heard was a years-long backstage poker game). A few were lounging and chatting with audience members who had also come down to the rail. The only ones not relaxing were two oboe players who were working on their reeds, shaving slivers from them and then trying them out with runs of notes. I had read that the oboe is the hardest instument to keep in tune and good playing condition and here was the proof. These two may have been the only people there who actually worked for the whole 5 1/2 hours.

The violins and violas had all been removed by their owners, not left lying around, perhaps at the insistance of the insurance companies. The cellos and basses were left there. I noticed what may have been a three-quarter sized bass, though when I looked for it during the next act I couldn't spot it. Is there such a thing (perhaps a single-bass in contrast to the double-bass)?

Wagner writes a lot for the brass, and there were plenty of horns, trumpets, trombones and a tuba. There were two harps. And the tympani were masterful, though I didn't spot the drums either down front or from my seat. But I heard plenty from them.
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

It couldn't be more right what you say about the oboe! I remember one time we were rehearsing for a concert and I was a bit stressed and had my mind on other things, and just didn't even bother to tune myself in. Well, I gave the 'A' for the orchestra and they all were giving me funny looks, but I wasn't in the mood and I was convinced that I was in tune and everyone else wasn't. So practically everyone was adjusting their instruments to get them in tune, and we were ready to begin. The pianist came sauntering in 20 minutes late, and after a good telling off, we got down to the business of playing this piano concerto. I forget who it was by, but it had a solo piano opening, rather reminiscent of Beethoven's 4th. Then the orchestra kicked in and everyone was out of tune wth the piano. That was surely the most embarassing experiene of my life!!!

When I was first learning the oboe my tuning was ridiculous. I was given a piece to sight read and my teacher accompanied me. We then found out I was making sounds a whole tone lower than they should have been! Fancy that, an oboe in B flat! Its all in the reed, which is definitely the most annoying thing about the oboe. When I was had been playing for about a year I began to get a really nice tone. Then my favourite reed broke and I got a couple of new ones, and the gorgeous tone totally disappeared! I've finally managed to get a really nice tone now, regardless of what reed I'm playing.

I tell you, if you want a stress free musical instrument then you can't go wrong with the clarinet or saxophone. In my opinion the oboe and bassoon are the most difficult instruments on the planet to master.

Neway, enough of my oboe anecdotes...

I am very intrigued by your sightings of small double basses. These do exist, but I was under the impression that they were just for young beginner double bassists who don't have the hand grasp. I can't think why they would be in the Orchestra pit of a Wagner opera!!!!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
          It couldn't be more right what you say about the oboe! I remember one time we were rehearsing for a concert and I was a bit stressed and had my mind on other things, and just didn't even bother to tune myself in. Well, I gave the 'A' for the orchestra and they all were giving me funny looks, but I wasn't in the mood and I was convinced that I was in tune and everyone else wasn't. So practically everyone was adjusting their instruments to get them in tune, and we were ready to begin. The pianist came sauntering in 20 minutes late, and after a good telling off, we got down to the business of playing this piano concerto. I forget who it was by, but it had a solo piano opening, rather reminiscent of Beethoven's 4th. Then the orchestra kicked in and everyone was out of tune wth the piano. That was surely the most embarassing experiene of my life!!!

When I was first learning the oboe my tuning was ridiculous. I was given a piece to sight read and my teacher accompanied me. We then found out I was making sounds a whole tone lower than they should have been! Fancy that, an oboe in B flat! Its all in the reed, which is definitely the most annoying thing about the oboe. When I was had been playing for about a year I began to get a really nice tone. Then my favourite reed broke and I got a couple of new ones, and the gorgeous tone totally disappeared! I've finally managed to get a really nice tone now, regardless of what reed I'm playing.

I tell you, if you want a stress free musical instrument then you can't go wrong with the clarinet or saxophone. In my opinion the oboe and bassoon are the most difficult instruments on the planet to master.

I am very intrigued by your sightings of small double basses. These do exist, but I was under the impression that they were just for young beginner double bassists who don't have the hand grasp. I can't think why they would be in the Orchestra pit of a Wagner opera!!!!

Michael

I enjoyed reading your adventures. But if the oboe is so hard to keep in tune, why in heaven's name would it sound the A for the orchestra? I would think a rock solid instrument that CAN'T be out of tune would be wanted, such as a good tuning fork if nothing such exists among the winds and brasses.

The smaller bass I think I spotted was lying among a group of basses in all positions. So I may have only thought I saw its smaller size, since no other bass was in exactly that position. On the other hand, as an artist my eye for that kind of thing is pretty good. On the other other hand, I couldn't spot it later from my seat.

Wagner put all kinds of instruments in his orchestra. He even invented his own tuba to get exactly the effect he wanted.

As for the sax, I played jazz once for a year with a tenor sax player who was not too happy with his reeds a good deal of the time, and was sometimes biting them, licking them, cursing them, or otherwise in intimate disagreement with them. I think one might look elsewhere than the reeds for a relatively stress free instrument, perhaps one of the brasses which only need to be shortened or lengthened by a little bit??

Comment

Chaszz, I think you should get a job as a music reviewer for newspapers!! What a wonderful review of the opera. I thought I was there in person with the way you explained everything. I have to agree with you about the reviews omitting the art and visual parts of concerts, etc. It would be nice to have more of these elements in the reviews as then the person can really visualize the scene. So glad you had such a good time!!

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Michael

Michael, enjoyed your 'most embarassing antidote'. I didn't realize the oboe was such a difficult instrument to master. You learn something new all the time on this forum. Thanks for sharing!

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                I enjoyed reading your adventures. But if the oboe is so hard to keep in tune, why in heaven's name would it sound the A for the orchestra? I would think a rock solid instrument that CAN'T be out of tune would be wanted, such as a good tuning fork if nothing such exists among the winds and brasses.

The smaller bass I think I spotted was lying among a group of basses in all positions. So I may have only thought I saw its smaller size, since no other bass was in exactly that position. On the other hand, as an artist my eye for that kind of thing is pretty good. On the other other hand, I couldn't spot it later from my seat.

Wagner put all kinds of instruments in his orchestra. He even invented his own tuba to get exactly the effect he wanted.
                It is odd isn't it? As someone once said, 'in the hands of a professional, the oboe is capable of the most beautiful, solemn sounds on this earth. In the hands of an amateur, it has a tendency to sound like squawking geese!'

The main reason that the oboe is the tuner for the orchestra is because its tone is the most different from every other instrument. I do enjoy the privilige of tuning the entire orchestra when I'm playing first oboe - but since that frightful experience I quadruple check that I'm in tune first!

In regards to that special tuba, I myself have had the privilege of a go on the wagner tuba. I wasn't too taken with it - it sounded to me more like a french horn than a tuba!

Regards,
                Michael

Comment

The main reason that the oboe is the tuner for the orchestra is because its tone is the most different from every other instrument. I do enjoy the privilige of tuning the entire orchestra when I'm playing first oboe - but since that frightful experience I quadruple check that I'm in tune first!

Regards,
                  Michael

Thanks, Michael, that is interesting. But what do YOU tune up TO, to make sure you're in tune? Does a tuning fork get involved here anywhere? There must be a standard A somewhere you can depend on..?

I'm always amazed to hear a large orchestra in tune after only a moment of tuning up. Of course the players probably keep their instruments close enough all the time, but doesn't the weather affect the strings particularly? Also when they tune up a lot of them are playing different notes, so how do they hear what they're after? This is to me second only to my amazament that they can read and play those scores.

I recently heard the Chappaqua Orchestra, a pretty reputable regional orchestra in my area. Some of the violins were the slightest bit out of tune and it drove me crazy. I was going to email them about it but never got around to it.

Leaving aside creativity, there are two technical acheivements in the arts that
                  to me are miraculous: great sculpture carved in stone, especially marble (such as the Parthenon sculptures in the British Museum), and orchestral playing.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited April 09, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                    Thanks, Michael, that is interesting. But what do YOU tune up TO, to make sure you're in tune? (edited April 09, 2003).]
                    I used to use a really snazzy electronic tuner that cost a bomb, but I stood on it and decided I wasn't going to waste my money buying another!

So now - this sounds really pathetic - I take my treble (alto in the usa) recorder to concerts (which is always in tune) and I tune my oboe to that!!!

But with the oboe, even if you are out of tune you can increase or decrease lip tension and the amount of reed in your mouth if you are sharp/flat.

In response to your queston about tuning all the different notes (well this is the way we do it at my orchestra anyway. I'm sure there are lots of different ways to tune up an orchestra)

1st oboe gives the A. first of all the woodwinds play whatever note they need to to give a concert pitch A. They generally try all the different octaves as well. Then its the brass, who do the same thing.

Then its the strings. Because all the string instruments of the orchestra have 1 open string that is an A, they tune this first. Then they tune their other three strings accordingly (in violins, violas and cellos the strings are tuned in fifths, but in double basses in fourths, thus you can hear if its out of tune)

To be honest, I never really pay much attention to how the tuned percussion instruments (timpanis) get in tune. I think they usually do it before the orchestra come onstage.

I hope this is helpful - I have a tendency to witter on! lol.

Regards,
                    Michael

Comment

1st oboe gives the A. first of all the woodwinds play whatever note they need to to give a concert pitch A. They generally try all the different octaves as well. Then its the brass, who do the same thing.

Then its the strings. Because all the string instruments of the orchestra have 1 open string that is an A, they tune this first. Then they tune their other three strings accordingly (in violins, violas and cellos the strings are tuned in fifths, but in double basses in fourths, thus you can hear if its out of tune)

Thanks, Michael, for explaining it to me. This is exactly what I hear, everyone trying to play an A, then going off in their own directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                        Your enthusiasm is infectious!

I hope this infectiousness does not give you an infection Peter.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          I hope this infectiousness does not give you an infection Peter.

Don't worry - I'm not about to defect to the Wagner forum!

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

They're playing this Wagner opera on my classical radio program at 9:00am this morning Phoenix time from the Met! If anyone's interested.
                            http://kbaq.rio.maricopa.edu/

Comment

Working...
                            X