current composers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    Yes they are indeed, I like the bagatelle comparison. In this same period he wrote several opera of short pieces, 116 is 7 fantasias, 117 is 3 intermezzos, 118 is 6 pieces and 119 is 4 pieces. They are all of similar character and quite listenable. Thanks for bringing them up.
    Regards, Gurn
    While we're on the subject of Brahms here's a site you might be interested in includes a CD performed by Martin Jones which is all piano music.
    http://www.good-music-guide.com/reviews/015_brahms.htm

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Yes, all 9 of his symphonies are available, I got them in a DG box set from their Collector's Series, they are very nice recordings. I would like to get some of his orchestral pieces too, but don't really have yet, as I have concentrated on Chamber Music instead. If you want still to give Brahms a try, I recommend starting with the Piano Quartets OP 25 & 26. They are a great introduction to Brahm's chamber works. If you run across a recording of the Piano Quintet Op 34 in f minor, it is considered to be one of the top 2-3 in the genre, and quite enjoyable. Anyway, good places to start, and we always want to expand our horizons, no?
      Regards, Gurn

Thanks for the info! Occasionally I hear a Dvorak Overture or some of the orchestral dances and I find I am drawn very much to his style. While I do like the Brahms Symphonies I do not find that they hold my attention as much as some of the others from his peers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Thanks for the info! Occasionally I hear a Dvorak Overture or some of the orchestral dances and I find I am drawn very much to his style. While I do like the Brahms Symphonies I do not find that they hold my attention as much as some of the others from his peers.
        While Dvorak's 9th Symphony is continually recorded (what are there now, 500 versions?), it is his chamber music that really shines. They are not, as is popularly thought, composed from Bohemian folk melodies, but rather, all of the "folk" sounding themes are original compositions of Dvorak. Also (and most importantly to me), his music does not ooze with romantic excess, they are nicely composed and especially the later works, are tightly woven actual sonatas, in the neo-classical style. If you are fond of chamber music, you will be pleased with the nice balance of the parts, and the particularly fine writing for cello (my favorite). Unlike most "general purpose" composers of his time, he was not a pianist but a violinist, so perhaps this is of considerable value to him in the composition of chamber music. If you have the opportunity to listen to some of these, you will be gratified. And this from a man who esteems the classical style above all others! ;-))
        Regards, Gurn
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

While Dvorak's 9th Symphony is continually recorded (what are there now, 500 versions?), it is his chamber music that really shines. They are not, as is popularly thought, composed from Bohemian folk melodies, but rather, all of the "folk" sounding themes are original compositions of Dvorak. Also (and most importantly to me), his music does not ooze with romantic excess, they are nicely composed and especially the later works, are tightly woven actual sonatas, in the neo-classical style. If you are fond of chamber music, you will be pleased with the nice balance of the parts, and the particularly fine writing for cello (my favorite). Unlike most "general purpose" composers of his time, he was not a pianist but a violinist, so perhaps this is of considerable value to him in the composition of chamber music. If you have the opportunity to listen to some of these, you will be gratified. And this from a man who esteems the classical style above all others! ;-))
          Regards, Gurn

Thanks, again! From what I've heard and read the chamber music is worth a great deal to pay attention to. I will endeavor to enrich my library as well as my own musical experiences with these works. I've already begun to focus more on the orchestral works other than symphonies.

Comment

HI everyone,

I am new to this forum!

I found this question optomistic and reassuring and am glad to discover that people on this site are interested in music of the present and not just music of the past. Classical music is in danger of becoming a museum, rather than a living and breathing and evolving entity. Supporting living composers is a way to ensure that the tradition survives, which effects the longevity of composers of the past as well.

There are more living composers than many people realise. The problem is that most of them struggle to make a living, or even to get their music known.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheus:
              HI everyone,

I am new to this forum!

There are more living composers than many people realise. The problem is that most of them struggle to make a living, or even to get their music known.
              Welcome to the forum - you are so right, it is not easy at all for composers today - but then it wasn't necessarily easy in the past either, Schubert being a classic example.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

The Dvorak symphonies were mentioned. I just want to put a plug in for the Kertesz/London Symphony performances from the 1960's. Really excellent stuff. You'll find this box set on the London label. Besides all the symphonies it also contains the Carnival Overture,Scherzo Capriccioso and My Home Overture. As for the Slavonic Dances I own Kubelik's recording with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Brahms,I love Brahms also. A plug for the Brahms Symphonies and Overtures with Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra on CBS Masterworks. I purchased this at Berkshire for $17+ including shipping.

Bruckner/Jochum Symphonies on EMI can be purchased at HMV's website for $35 US,a fantastic buy.

Comment

well Brahms is absolutely my FAVORITE composer... but I actually don't have much music of his; just a 'Greatest Hits' CD but I love it anyways... it hasn't even thrown me into the world of--what I hear--Brahms' amazing chamber music...after I get Beethoven's piano sonatas I'll probably look at getting a collection of Brahms' symphonies... But it's his overtures that get me the most, most particuarly the Academic Festival Overture. I dunno, it's just some of the themes stick with me; amazing. The Tragic Overture is much more serious but equally moving...just, not as catchy. I first really started to get 'into' Brahms when I started learning an Intermezzo. It's such an awesome work...before that my teacher had been trying to get me to do some work by Tchaikovsky (blah!). So we settled mutually on the Brahms piece and my Romantic repetoire requirement has been covered ever since...

[This message has been edited by jman (edited April 10, 2003).]

Comment

Originally posted by TJJ:
                    The Dvorak symphonies were mentioned. I just want to put a plug in for the Kertesz/London Symphony performances from the 1960's. Really excellent stuff. You'll find this box set on the London label. Besides all the symphonies it also contains the Carnival Overture,Scherzo Capriccioso and My Home Overture. As for the Slavonic Dances I own Kubelik's recording with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.

My favourite Dvorak : Symphony no.8 (much better than the 9th) and the incomparable 'cello concerto.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by jman:
                      well Brahms is absolutely my FAVORITE composer... but I actually don't have much music of his; just a 'Greatest Hits' CD but I love it anyways... it hasn't even thrown me into the world of--what I hear--Brahms' amazing chamber music...after I get Beethoven's piano sonatas I'll probably look at getting a collection of Brahms' symphonies... But it's his overtures that get me the most, most particuarly the Academic Festival Overture. I dunno, it's just some of the themes stick with me; amazing. The Tragic Overture is much more serious but equally moving...just, not as catchy. I first really started to get 'into' Brahms when I started learning an Intermezzo. It's such an awesome work...before that my teacher had been trying to get me to do some work by Tchaikovsky (blah!). So we settled mutually on the Brahms piece and my Romantic repetoire requirement has been covered ever since...

My favourite Brahms: Piano concerto no.2, the string Sextets and the Variations on a theme by Handel.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                        My favourite Dvorak : Symphony no.8 (much better than the 9th) and the incomparable 'cello concerto.

Fantastic! I own the Rostropovich recording with Herbert von Karajan on DG. The 9'th is still my favorite of all classical works although 8'th is great also.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                          My favourite Brahms: Piano concerto no.2, the string Sextets and the Variations on a theme by Handel.

Absolutely!! I love the Piano Concerto #2 especially the 2nd movement. Beautiful!

Joy
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I just want to throw in a plug for Brahms' 3rd Symphony, my favorite of the four. As I said elsewhere in another thread, and Peter agreed, it's sort of to autumn what Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony is to summer.
                            One can see the trees turning golden, smell the woodsmoke, and so on...

Chaszz
                            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                              I just want to throw in a plug for Brahms' 3rd Symphony, my favorite of the four. As I said elsewhere in another thread, and Peter agreed, it's sort of to autumn what Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony is to summer.

Chaszz
                              And both are in the same key - F major!

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X