On This Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On This Day!

April 7th, 1805 - Beethoven's Third Symphony, the Eroica, has its first performance in Vienna.
    The symphony was not gratefully received. Some found it to ‘long, difficult, and redundant‘. Others thought it ‘odd, wild, and confusing‘. Schindler tells a story that at the Conservatorium in Prague it was considered ‘an immoral composition‘. Interesting analysis.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Thanks for mentioning that Joy, I shall try and listen to it today!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

April 8th, 1966 - Rod was born unto this Earth, on Good Friday too!

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Happy Birthday!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Happy Birthday!

Thanks Peter, you can all have a drink on me! And of course England won the world cup in that year, spurred on by my new found presence on Earth I'm sure. I wonder if they'll win again by 2066?

------------------

Comment

Thanks Peter, you can all have a drink on me!

I'll listen to the Jordi Savall version of the Eroica to mark this double celebration!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              I'll listen to the Jordi Savall version of the Eroica to mark this double celebration!

Then everyone's a winner. Upload the great new track I've made available at the Handel Forum, of which you may recall you are a member, and you'll have a veritable feast of music to celebrate ..er.. me!
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/handelforum/

------------------

Comment

Cheers! Hope this is a good birthday for you!

Comment

All of us here on Mt. Olympus want to wish one of our own, Rod, a very Happy Birthday! Make it a good one and enjoy.

Comment

Thanks Peter, you can all have a drink on me! And of course England won the world cup in that year, spurred on by my new found presence on Earth I'm sure. I wonder if they'll win again by 2066?

Happy birthday to you Rod!!!!! I think I'll take you up on that drink!! How many birthday candles is it!

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                      Happy birthday to you Rod!!!!! I think I'll take you up on that drink!! How many birthday candles is it!

Joy
                      If u read this chain you can work it out!

------------------

Comment

If u read this chain you can work it out!

You're right! I hadn't read everything before, in too big a hurry you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                          April 7th, 1805 - Beethoven's Third Symphony, the Eroica, has its first performance in Vienna.
                          Schindler tells a story that at the Conservatorium in Prague it was considered ‘an immoral composition‘. Interesting analysis.
                          What exactly do you think was meant by that? How is it possible to write music that is immoral?

Melvyn.

Comment

Originally posted by melvyn:
                            What exactly do you think was meant by that? How is it possible to write music that is immoral?

Melvyn.

Oscar Wilde's famous preface to Dorian Gray comes to mind and applies equally to music - "There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all."

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

On the other side of the coin there were these favourable reviews: "During the course of the second section of the first movement a completely new melody is taken up by the winds. It refreshes the listener so that he is once again happy to follow the composer when he returns to the principal ideas, adorning and developing them even more richly. This allegro was composed with a concern for unity which we can only admire". and in regards to the funeral march "Only a true genius could conceive a work such as this second movement, give birth to it and bring it to fruition so perfectly." And in a review written in 1824, "the symphony had parts of such exquisite beauty and effect".

On my classical radio station tonight they will be playing The Eroica and giving commentary. I'll see what they have to say.

Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X