Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collecting Beethoven, (Part 1) : Symphonies

Hi there.

Though new to classical, i've been listening to Beethoven for quite a while now, and i'm slowly falling in love with basically everything this man wrote, from the piano sonatas, to the string quartets, all the way to his great symphonies.

However, as i'm slowly discovering, buying classical records can be a problem. With trillions of conductors and CDs all claiming
    your money is near next to impossible to make a decision as to just what to buy.

Buying a collection of works simply won't work, as i reckon every conductor excelled in one symphony over the others.

In your opinion, what is the very greatest version for each symphony ?!?

True, tastes may vary and i might need to buy several versions before i found the one that is right for me, still, i feel a guide line to be necessary.

I was actually thinking to get one single collection just to study and learn each symphony, and then go out to look for those single performances i feel would be the best for me.

I was thinking about getting the Karajan cycle from '63, if nothing else because it's so cheap.

I already own Kleiber 5th & 7th, which i think are incredible performances (and some of the better sounding ones i've listened so far) but are also slightly flawed.

The 5th seems fine so far, the the 7th is a tad imperfect in it's interpretation, expecially the second movement.

So, what do you think ?!?

Here are a few suggestions :

Complete - Chamber orchestra of Europe / Harnoncourt ( Teldec 2292-46452-2 )

Symphony 2 & 4 - Günter Wand/ North German Radio Symphony Orchestra RCA Red Seal RD60058

Symphony 3 "Eroica" - Günter Wand/ North German Radio Symphony Orchestra
    RCA Red Seal 60755-2-RC

Symphonies 5 & 7 - Carlos Kleiber/ Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Deutsche Grammophon 447400-2

Symphonies 5 & 8 - Günter Wand/ North German Radio Symphony Orchestra RCA Red Seal 60092-2-RC

Symphony 6 "Pastorale" - Günter Wand/North German Radio Symphony Orchestra RCA Red Seal 60094-2-RC

Symphony 6 "Pastorale" - Karl Bohm/ Vienna Philharmonic - DG 447 433-2GOR

Symphony 9 "Choral" - Carol Vaness (soprano), Janice Taylor (mezzosoprano), Siegfried Jerusalem (tenor), Robert Llyod (bass-baritone)/ Christoph von Dohnanyi/ Cleveland Orchestra & Chorus Telarc CD-80120

Historical performances:-

Complete - Wilhelm Furtwangler, Vienna Phil.. . no. 1 (1952), 2 (1948 live London), 3 (1952), 4 (1952), 5 (1954), 6 (1952), 7 (1950), 8 (1948 live Stockholm) and 9 (1951). EMI, 1952, 1986

Symphony No 9 - Furtwangler - Schwarzkopf, Hongen, Hopf, Edelmann; Bayreuth Festival(1951) /EMI CDH 769 0812

Symphony no.9 - Furtwangler, Philharmonia Orchestra - Schwarzkopf, Cavelti, Haefliger & Edelmann, Lucerne 1954 (Tahra, FURT 1003)

Period instrument performances:-

Complete - Franz Brüggen, The Orchestra of the 18th century (Philips)

Complete - The Hanover Band - (Nimbus)

Symphony no.3 in Eb 'Eroica' - Jordi Savall and Les Concert Des Nations (Astree, ES 9959)

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, that's why i put up the conductor thread. It really isn't easy. Sometimes a conductor and orchestra can really kill the music (i bought some horrendous Mozart stuff some time last year).

For symphonies, i have Norrington, who is growing on me now. Except the Choral, i have Kurt Masur and the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra. I also was thinking of Karajan as a full set, but i heard that he does well with all except the Pastoral. Like Norrington's set is supposed to be great for all but for the Choral. Bohm is supposed to be the all-round best (from what i've read).

Daniel

Comment

Working...
      X