X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Page - Prelude and Fugue for String Quartet Hess 31

Now available to members at
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

There are two mp3s here - so be sure to download both!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

I quite enjoyed these two pieces; they helped to bring a smile to this most somber of days (26 March). Danke, wunderbar.

Comment

Very nice. Really enjoyed these. What kind of corrections did Albrechtsberger make to the manuscript?
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Very nice. Really enjoyed these. What kind of corrections did Albrechtsberger make to the manuscript?
        I don't know, the cd notes to go into this matter. I can only presume there were minor changes.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Quite beautiful. The second one especially sounds almost like a baroque Beethoven. It reminds me of a few statues that Michelangelo carved in the ancient Greek classical style, while still a young man.

Chaszz
          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
            Quite beautiful. The second one especially sounds almost like a baroque Beethoven. It reminds me of a few statues that Michelangelo carved in the ancient Greek classical style, while still a young man.

Chaszz
            Of course the form is deliberately backward looking, but are they worthy of Bach Chaszz!?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              Of course the form is deliberately backward looking, but are they worthy of Bach Chaszz!?

I think they are. I think the second piece is worthy of comparison to many of Bach's fugues. I would have said so originally, but thought you might consider it a slur.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited March 28, 2003).]
              See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                I think they are. I think the second piece is worthy of comparison to many of Bach's fugues. I would have said so originally, but thought you might consider it a slur.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited March 28, 2003).]
                Not in this particular instance Chaszz.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                  Now available to members at
                  www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

There are two mp3s here - so be sure to download both!

Splendid little pieces, thank you very much for the posting, Rod.
                  Regards, Gurn
                  Regards,
                  Gurn
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                    Splendid little pieces, thank you very much for the posting, Rod.
                    Regards, Gurn
                    No problem Gurn. It is interesting that Beethoven showed relatively little interest in the fugal form until the late period. He once commented to the effect that writing fugues was easy (ie too easy) and that he wrote many as a student (ie it is a form of music really only for study purposes). I presume he thought the form was to old fashioned, before he realised new possiblilities later on (perhaps due to his increased interest in the 'old style' at that time).

------------------

Comment

No problem Gurn. It is interesting that Beethoven showed relatively little interest in the fugal form until the late period. He once commented to the effect that writing fugues was easy (ie too easy) and that he wrote many as a student (ie it is a form of music really only for study purposes). I presume he thought the form was to old fashioned, before he realised new possiblilities later on (perhaps due to his increased interest in the 'old style' at that time).

Rod,
                      Yes, it seemed to take him a long time to incorporate them. I was looking at the Biamonti listing for these works, they are Bia 80.3. Bia 80 consists of 41 (!) fugues and fugue exercises that he wrote for Albrecthsberger, so he was certainly no stranger to the form. Perhaps they simply had no appeal after all that schoolwork! In any case he learned his lesson well. The first 3 are all Prelude & Fugues, Hess 29, 30 & 31. The first one is actually in a minor key (e), perhaps we shall get to hear them all one day.
                      Regards, Gurn
                      PS - I ordered last week that Hungaroton CD of Schiff playing Beethoven's piano, but haven't received it yet. I will post something about it when I do. I hope Schiff does B justice, and that my ears are up to judging the quality.
                      G
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The first 3 are all Prelude & Fugues, Hess 29, 30 & 31. The first one is actually in a minor key (e), perhaps we shall get to hear them all one day.
                        Regards, Gurn
                        PS - I ordered last week that Hungaroton CD of Schiff playing Beethoven's piano, but haven't received it yet. I will post something about it when I do. I hope Schiff does B justice, and that my ears are up to judging the quality.
                        G
                        I have Hess 30 and 31 on CD, not sure about 29, but the rare music page is comming to a close after the current list is used up.

If you want the catalogue number for Tan's recording on EMI using Beethoven's Broadwood let me know, though you can probably get it via a web search on your own.

------------------

Comment

I have Hess 30 and 31 on CD, not sure about 29, but the rare music page is comming to a close after the current list is used up.

If you want the catalogue number for Tan's recording on EMI using Beethoven's Broadwood let me know, though you can probably get it via a web search on your own.

Rod,
                          Indeed, I would like that. I would only hope that it is available in America, so many aren't (particularly EMI). We are barbarians over here, as you know, so I am supposing that we wouldn't appreciate such things! (Forgive the rant, such things irritate me beyond their importance, I suppose) In any case, I have only on CD by Tan, playing the sonatas of Mendelssohn, and quite admire his technique.
                          Regards, Gurn
                          Regards,
                          Gurn
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Rod,
                            Indeed, I would like that. I would only hope that it is available in America, so many aren't (particularly EMI). We are barbarians over here, as you know, so I am supposing that we wouldn't appreciate such things! (Forgive the rant, such things irritate me beyond their importance, I suppose) In any case, I have only on CD by Tan, playing the sonatas of Mendelssohn, and quite admire his technique.
                            Regards, Gurn

Here is the catalogue number:

Beethoven-Broadwood-Fortepiano-TAN
                            EMI Classics 754526-2, LC 6646

Tan is a mixed bag as a Beethoven performer. By far his best Beethoven recording is of Op53, 57 and 81a also on EMI. This was an early recording using a 1815 Streicher copy and is very good. Most of his later Beethoven efforts are rather lack lustre. Perhaps he lost interest.

He's mentioned along with the other fortepianists on CD in this interesting review below:
                            http://www.classical.net/music/comp..../psonatas.html

------------------

Comment

Here is the catalogue number:

Beethoven-Broadwood-Fortepiano-TAN
                              EMI Classics 754526-2, LC 6646

Tan is a mixed bag as a Beethoven performer. By far his best Beethoven recording is of Op53, 57 and 81a also on EMI. This was an early recording using a 1815 Streicher copy and is very good. Most of his later Beethoven efforts are rather lack lustre. Perhaps he lost interest.

He's mentioned along with the other fortepianists on CD in this interesting review below:
                              http://www.classical.net/music/comp..../psonatas.html

Rod,
                              Thanks for the catalog number, but particularly for the review link. I have already ordered one of the disks (Brautigam Variations Globe GLO 5095 ) a couple of weeks ago and have high hopes for it when it arrives next week. Of the others, I think I shall look to the Pommier disks, even though they are on modern piano because the review talks about his careful tempos etc., which I have been reading about lately in Rosen's Sonata Companion and should like to hear performed that way. Have you heard any of these Pommier performances? This was a very useful link, and I appreciate it. Who has money to waste these days?
                              Regards, Gurn
                              Regards,
                              Gurn
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X