• Show
Clear All

Rare Page - Rondo for Piano in C Major WoO48

Now available to members on the rare page at
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

A nice little piece this, nicely done by Brautigam, who is a first class Beethoven pianist, on the very rare occasion he makes a Beethoven recording, that is. Well schooled on the fortepiano, but for some reason he opted for a conventional instrument here.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I quite enjoyed this rondo. I kept thinking on the "Fate knocking at the door" notes you hear in the first movement of B's Sym. #5. "...-"

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

A nice little piece this, nicely done by Brautigam, who is a first class Beethoven pianist, on the very rare occasion he makes a Beethoven recording, that is. Well schooled on the fortepiano, but for some reason he opted for a conventional instrument here.

Although this piece is quite a bit more complex it has a similar feeling to me as does the Sonatina in G that is attributed to Beethoven (I think this was discussed some time back). Very delightful piece. As I have listened to some of the other lesser known piano pieces of Beethoven I have been more and more convinced of his utter genius. Those smaller works are every bit masterpieces as the later sonatas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

As I have listened to some of the other lesser known piano pieces of Beethoven I have been more and more convinced of his utter genius. Those smaller works are every bit masterpieces as the later sonatas.
          I've said much the same myself many times, Beethoven did not suddenly 'aquire' genius half way through his life!

------------------

Comment

Exactly, and sometimes I would rather listen to a piece like this wonderful WoO 48 instead of one of the final piano sonatas. You have to have a little variety, you know!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
              I quite enjoyed this rondo. I kept thinking on the "Fate knocking at the door" notes you hear in the first movement of B's Sym. #5. "...-"
              It reminds me too of the piano sonata (4 hands) op6, first movement, where we also have the 'fate' motif.

------------------

Comment

I thought this was in A Major, I have the score here in A... (Dover Publsh.)
                "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

OOps, I confused that with the WoO49 one...
                  "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Really enjoyed this one, especially knowing Beethoven was so young at the time he wrote it. I also noticed a little of the 'Fate Knocks' from the 5th Symphony. Also enjoyed the pianist perfomance. Thought he did a great job. Very nice.

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited March 15, 2003).]
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

any opus number...or could someone tell me what WoO stands for?? I'm guessing it's similar to the opus number but, whatever. I'm just curious because my teacher wanted me to play a Rondo in C by Beethoven so I'm curious if it is the same because then I'd make the effort to hook my laptop up to the internet because its sound works when compared to the computer I usually use for internet doesn't have any sound...

Comment

Originally posted by jman:
                        or could someone tell me what WoO stands for??
                        work without opus number

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by jman:
                          any opus number...or could someone tell me what WoO stands for?? I'm guessing it's similar to the opus number but, whatever. I'm just curious because my teacher wanted me to play a Rondo in C by Beethoven so I'm curious if it is the same because then I'd make the effort to hook my laptop up to the internet because its sound works when compared to the computer I usually use for internet doesn't have any sound...

Your teacher is probably referring to the Rondo in C, Opus 51, No. 1. This is by far the more well known.

Comment

lol, okay!...so that's cool then. Yes, I checked at that was the one she wanted me to play; I mean, Op. 51 no1... It's weird. I'm so utterly alone in my knowledge of classical music, where I live. I'm sure I'm about the only teen in my town who's ever had classical music in their music collection...so then I come here and I'm lost, not knowing half as much as it seems I would to the ordinary person!!

So why don't they have an opus number?? Just never published??

Comment

Most of the opus numbers were chosen by Beethoven himself - Many works were regarded by Beethoven as too slight to be assigned a number and these were classified by Kinsky in 1955 as WoO which literally stands for Werke ohne Opuszahl (work without opus number). Many of them were printed in the complete edition (1862-5 and 1888) of Beethoven works, but some were not - Willy Hess published his catalogue in 1957 which includes many WoO works but some that had no number such as small fragments and arrangements.

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X