No announcement yet.

Beethoven as Orchestrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Bernstein quote is taken from an essay he wrote in the form of an imaginary conversation between himself and a "Lyric Poet". It is actually quite a clever piece of work in which Bernstein pretends to denigrate Beethoven's abilities to the horror of the Lyric Poet who has been mindlessly warbling on about The Great Composer.
    Bernstein proceeds to demolish Beethoven on the grounds of melody, describing the slow movement of the seventh symphony as a "monotone". The harmony of the Fifth symphony is dismissed as limited - a three-chord trick!
    Finally he states that "the orchestration is at times downright bad, especially in the later period when he was deaf. Unimportant trumpet parts sticking out of the orchestra like sore thumbs, horns bumbling along on endlessly repeated notes, drowned-out woodwinds, murderously cruel writing for the human voice ....."
    The poor Lyric Poet is reduced to tears and cannot understand why a musician cannot love Beethoven, whereupon Bernstein reveals that he has no doubt that Beethoven was the greatest composer who ever lived. As he put it: "Many, many composers have been able to write heavenly tunes and respectable fugues. Some composers can orchestrate the C major scale so that it sounds like a masterpiece or fool with notes so that a harmonic novelty is achieved. But this is all mere dust - nothing compared to the magic ingredient sought by them all: THE INEXPLICABLE ABILITY TO KNOW WHAT THE NEXT NOTE HAS TO BE.
    "Beethoven had this gift in a degree that leaves them all panting in the rear guard. When he really DID it, as in the funeral march of the "Eroica", he produced an entity that always seems to me to have been previously written in Heaven and then merely dictated to him."
    This was written by Bernstein around 1960. He lived to hear the "period" performances of Beethoven which surely banished the notion that his orchestration was merely serviceable. A lot of the blame lay with the Wagners and the Mahlers who caused later conductors to fatten up Beethoven's unique sound and cause the effect of "drowned-out woodwinds."
    The best quote I have heard about B's orchestration (and I forget who said it) was that "it was so good nobody noticed."

Michael

Comment

Thanks for that interesting article, Michael. I think you've found the answer to the 'mysterious Bernstein quote' and I quite agree with your 'Wagner and Mahler' comment.

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited April 01, 2003).]
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

... I don't agree with your comments about tone colour re. the sonatas and quartets! Just look at the new sonorities Beethoven created with his unusual spacing of parts in the late works for example...
        Peter,
        Not that I concur with the orchestration assertion, I am merely straining for some rationale since I cannot argue against it unless I know what is being said. That being said, I agree that the use of the strings and piano in all of these works greatly surpasses anything written before or since in tone color for these instruments. My only thought that I would add here is if a painter places only a few pigments in his palette, there is then a finite limit to what he can express color-wise. We may indeed marvel at the boundaries of that limit, and we do, but there will be those who carp at the possibilities missed and call it mediocre, simply because their vision and their definition is not congruent with the artist's. That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        Regards, Gurn
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          Re winds: I can say there is plenty of wind instrument action in the symphonies. Perhaps he abandoned the form as chamber music because wind instruments on their own can sound (in my opinion) rather monotonous in tone themselves.

Rod, Yes, you are absolutely correct about that, and there was never any specification in the original provocation from chaszz that we were talking late period, I was just thinking late period. I used to not fancy wind ensemble playing myself, until I got the Mozart Divertimentos and really listened to them. I will say this for wind instruments, if tone color is what you are trying to add to a piece of music, there is no better choice than a few winds for variety. They can make nearly any tone color desired.
          The thought that occurred to me, when you mentioned symphonies, was not that but this aspect of orchestration, which is the music fitting the capability of the instrument. B's violin concerto; the violin part is so suited to the violin alone that even the composer, the greatest writer for piano who ever lived (IMHO), was not able to take the same part and make a listenable piano concerto out of it. On that aspect alone, I would say we are talking beyond "mediocre", no?
          Regards, Gurn
          Regards,
          Gurn
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
            I will say this for wind instruments, if tone color is what you are trying to add to a piece of music, there is no better choice than a few winds for variety.
            This is true, I've got a number of large scale Handel pieces where the colour of these lengthy proceedings is totally transformed by the sudden appearance of a single oboe or other wind instrument every now and again to accompany the strings and continuo, this on its own is enough to sustain the musical interest.

You don't need to get into the extravagances of some of the Romanics to get a good orchestral sound, on the contrary in fact. Less is usually more!

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited April 02, 2003).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
              [B] Indeed, but your remarks implied that Beethoven's deafness was a possible cause of this 'mediocrity' - clearly this cannot have been the case. There are many examples of Beethoven's innovative approach to orchestration - look at his original and highly effective use of timpani in the 4th and 8th symphonies, Emperor concerto and the scherzo of the 9th for example. The wonderful use of woodwind in the slow movement of the Emperor concerto and the trio of the 7th symphony scherzo - the examples are in fact so numerous that I can't understand what Bernstein was on about - now had he been talking about Schumann and possibly Brahms, that is another matter altogether.

What's wrong with Brahms' orchestration?

Comment

Originally posted by pianojones:

What's wrong with Brahms' orchestration?

I only said 'possibly' as there are a few weak moments (the powerful opening of the D minor concerto for example) - certainly a more sustained criticism of Schumann can be made in this regard.
                There are some lovely touches in the symphonies such as the solo violin in 2nd mov of 1st symphony and the use of triangle in the scherzo of no.4 - the string writing in the 4th symphony 2nd mov is gloriously sumptious. Also in the middle movements of the symphonies Brahms uses the woodwind to great effect.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

"A treatise on orchestration...will never be able to teach the art of poetic orchestration. To orchestrate is to create, and this is something that cannot be taught." (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Principles of Orchestration) Rimsky-Korsakov is himself considered a master orchestrator, but he knew the limits of any method in the face of genius (or lack thereof). Beethoven's conceptions are titanic, and his handling of instruments is equally titanic, whether strings, winds, piano, or full orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
                    "A treatise on orchestration...will never be able to teach the art of poetic orchestration. To orchestrate is to create, and this is something that cannot be taught." (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Principles of Orchestration) Rimsky-Korsakov is himself considered a master orchestrator, but he knew the limits of any method in the face of genius (or lack thereof). Beethoven's conceptions are titanic, and his handling of instruments is equally titanic, whether strings, winds, piano, or full orchestra.
                    John,
                    I agree with your comments in all respects. Even and especially including the consummate skill of Rimsky-Korsakov, an average composer but a consummate orchestrator.
                    Regards, Gurn
                    Regards,
                    Gurn
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X