Beethoven's lesser known symphonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano:

Add another movement. I cannot do such a thing myself. As soon as a given movement is over I expect the next one as Beethoven wrote it. I simply can't improve on that!
    That's true. Besides, it's better not to be without any movement of any symphony.

Several years in a row on December 31, the classical music station here would play the nine symphonies in sequence, timing it so the Ninth would finish around midnight. What a marvelous way to listen in the New Year! But since they're under new management I haven't heard of them doing that for a few years. Pfui!

Comment

Originally posted by John Rasmussen:
      That's true. Besides, it's better not to be without any movement of any symphony.

Several years in a row on December 31, the classical music station here would play the nine symphonies in sequence, timing it so the Ninth would finish around midnight. What a marvelous way to listen in the New Year! But since they're under new management I haven't heard of them doing that for a few years. Pfui!

While I was studying at the University I did this a couple of times with the Audio Library on Saturdays. It made for a very nice diversion from the regular studies. (I always had the scores, too--enjoyed doing that very much!)

Comment

How come no one has mentioned the Battle Symphony? I was in my local CD store today, and i couldn't find a recording of this in his symphonies anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
          How come no one has mentioned the Battle Symphony? I was in my local CD store today, and i couldn't find a recording of this in his symphonies anywhere.
          You'll probably have a better chance finding it listed under "Wellington's Victory, or The Battle of Vitoria" op.91 than listed as "The Battle Symphony". I have a great CD of this on Deutsche Grammophon with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan (1969/1970). This CD also includes the music to Egmont and military marches. This is one of my favorite CDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
            You'll probably have a better chance finding it listed under "Wellington's Victory, or The Battle of Vitoria" op.91 than listed as "The Battle Symphony".
            I realised this while browsing on amazon.co.uk yesterday. Is it a one-movement piece?

Originally posted by Andrea:
            I have a great CD of this on Deutsche Grammophon with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Herbert von Karajan (1969/1970). This CD also includes the music to Egmont and military marches.
            I saw this on amazon.co.uk. It's on my wish list

Comment

I haven't heard all of his symphonies..haven't even heard #3...but of those lesser-known ones, I'd definitely go with the Seventh. NOt sure why but it is quite majestic...

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
                I posted a link to an mp3 of the 'battle' section of this piece here not so long ago. You're obviously not a regular visitor!

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited April 02, 2003).]
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  You're obviously not a regular visitor!
                  I'm new, hence my junior membership.

Comment

Working...
                  X