Piano Concerto no. 4 in G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
    I agree, the 1st is pretty and fun (for want of a better word). The first movement reminds me of Mozart.

The first Piano Concerto has always been one of my favourties too! I like to listen to it in the car or at home, it's makes me feel good. The third movement is so fast and has a 'happy feeling' to it!

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I've also been privileged to see the 4th Piano Concerto performed live, along with the Mass in C and the Choral Fantasia. One of the most memorable concerts I've been to.

I concert pianist friend of mine told me that it's one of the most difficult pieces to play, particularly those opening notes. After you've walked onto the stage and the applause has died down, the audience attention is on you and the orchestra attention is also on you. Thousands of people are watching you, the conductor is waiting for you to start, and you can hear a pin drop. You've got to get the strength of those soft opening chords spot-on, and everybody is waiting - and listening. The problem is that the piano action hasn't warmed up yet, and you don't know exactly how it is going to react to your fingers and exactly what force to use to get the required volume. No two pianos are identical. Even if you've tried the piano out previously, it's still impossible to predict the result until you've actually played that first chord. All you can do is to hope and pray that it will come out the way you want it. If it comes out wrong it's too late to start again!

Of course, listening to a record doesn't convey any of this sense of drama to the listener. Which is why there is no substitute for actually seeing and hearing music performed live whenever possible.

Melvyn.

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
        I'm dreadfully sorry I can't remember! A lot of the people who went with me got programs though so I'll ask them what it was called and let you know I think it was based on King Lear or something, but it was certainly a very enticing piece. I can't blieve I don't know what it was called! Oh well I will find out honestly!

You probably heard the King Lear Overture. There is not much from Berlioz that I've heard and didn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:
          To be honest, I'd never had it in high regard until last night. It really made me sit up and realise that it was just as good as the Emperor and the rest. I also think that the 1st Piano Concerto in C is extremely underrated. I know it is nothing of vast importance, but still it is a very pretty and lyrical piece.

Regards,
          Michael.

If Beethoven hadn't written the 3rd or 5th Piano Concerti the 1st would be my favorite (not only of his) of all concerti. I can never hear enough of it.

Comment

Originally posted by melvyn:

Of course, listening to a record doesn't convey any of this sense of drama to the listener. Which is why there is no substitute for actually seeing and hearing music performed live whenever possible.

Melvyn.
            That's so true! I love going to the live concerts whenever possible. There's nothing quite like that experience. I enjoy it so much.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

Beautiful is right! I'm going to attend the Symphony, here in Phoenix, this May they're going to perform Beethoven's Piano Concerto #5.

Joy
              A few years ago, I had plans to attend a concert of the 4th concerto. I almost didn't go because I had to go by myself (my freind backed out at the last minute). When I arrived at the concert hall, I took my seat and read the program where there was a program change. The pianist for the 4th concerto had become ill and they were now preforming Beethoven's 5th piano concerto. It was so good. I can not recall the name of the pianist that played (and I have no idea how the replaced the other so quickly), but I was in heaven and I was so glad I had decided to go. What a treat. I still have not heard the 4th preformed yet, or the 1st, but the 2nd, 3rd and 5th. I have heard all the symphonies preformed, except the 8th. I'll hear them someday.

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:

A few years ago, I had plans to attend a concert of the 4th concerto. I almost didn't go because I had to go by myself (my freind backed out at the last minute). When I arrived at the concert hall, I took my seat and read the program where there was a program change. The pianist for the 4th concerto had become ill and they were now preforming Beethoven's 5th piano concerto. It was so good. I can not recall the name of the pianist that played (and I have no idea how the replaced the other so quickly), but I was in heaven and I was so glad I had decided to go. What a treat. I still have not heard the 4th preformed yet, or the 1st, but the 2nd, 3rd and 5th. I have heard all the symphonies preformed, except the 8th. I'll hear them someday.

[/B]
                That must have been a treat for you! One thing's for sure whatever Beethoven they play you can be sure you won't be disappointed!! I haven't heard the 4th performed live yet either. That's next on my list!

Joy

Comment

Working...
                X