Piano Concerto no. 4 in G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano Concerto no. 4 in G

I just thought I'd tell you all about a concert I went to last night. It was the Halle Orchestra and they were playing in Blackburn, near to where I live.
    Someone had arranged 3 piano preludes of Debussy for orchestra. They sounded atrocious! I hate it when people arrange piano pieces for orchestra as it is a very hit and miss experience. There were some absolutely stunning Ravel pieces and a fabulous one by Hector Berlioz. But, of course, my favourite of the night was the Beethoven. I forget the name of the soloist but he was absolutely amazing and really entertaining to watch. Despite the fact it is not one of my favourite Beethoven pieces, I couldn't help but get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

Sorry but I just thought I'd let you all know how much I enjoyed myself last night!

Regards,
    Michael.

P.S I am absolutely desperate to see a live performance of any of Beethoven's symphonies, but particularly the 3rd, 6th, 7th and 9th. Does anybody know of any good orchesras in England that are performing any of these works in the near future?

Thanks a lot

For live performances of Beethoven's Symphonies, no. 9 and 8.

The Emperor and Coriolan Overture, click on Beethoven Festival!.. My husband and I have booked for both dates in June.
    I don't think my post has been viewed very much.
    I do hope you will be successful in booking for the
    9th Symphony, as they are already getting pretty full. Phone today OboeKing!

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 29, 2003).]

Comment

I would love to go for a live performance of Beethoven's 4th concerto, it's my favourite of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by OboeKing:

P.S I am absolutely desperate to see a live performance of any of Beethoven's symphonies, but particularly the 3rd, 6th, 7th and 9th. Does anybody know of any good orchesras in England that are performing any of these works in the near future?

Thanks a lot
        Sounds like you had a good time. Don't miss the 9th Symphony if you have a chance to go. I got to see all nine Symphonies performed last year at the Phoenix Symphony Hall for a Beethoven Festival they held. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. I have seen the 9th performed twice. It's very thrilling to see it live so don't miss it!

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidan73:
          I would love to go for a live performance of Beethoven's 4th concerto, it's my favourite of them all.

Yes, the Piano Concerto No 4. is a tremendous masterpiece isn't it.
          I love the remarkable beauty of the opening notes.

I hope to hear it performed later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

I hope to hear it performed later this year.

Beautiful is right! I'm going to attend the Symphony, here in Phoenix, this May they're going to perform Beethoven's Piano Concerto #5.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Sounds like you had a good time. Don't miss the 9th Symphony if you have a chance to go. I got to see all nine Symphonies performed last year at the Phoenix Symphony Hall for a Beethoven Festival they held. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. I have seen the 9th performed twice. It's very thrilling to see it live so don't miss it!

Joy
              I've sort of already seen it once before. I was in the middle of the orchestra! I played the contrabassoon part in the finale, which was an absolutely stunning experience. Its just that, whilst playing, you're so busy concentrating on the notes you're playing (particularly in the 'Allegro energico, sempre ben marcato' section. Bassoon 2, Contrabassoon and low strings go absolutely mad at this place, and playing such a clumsy instrument as the contrabassoon is quite an arduous task!) that you forget to pay attention to the sheer beauty of what is surrounding you. that's why I want to actually watch it, to get a flavour of what it's like sitting in the audience.

P.S Next saturday I'm going to see a performance of Verdi's 'requiem.' I've never actually heard it before does anyone have any strong opinions on it?

Regards,
              Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by lysander:

I do too. There's something so special about it. For a long time, i was quite taken with the 5th (i still am actually, but not so much) but one day the 4th just grabbed me. It's hard to describe, i know the first movement is meant to be happy, and it truly does come across joyous, but sometimes i hear sadness too. My mother cried when i played it for her in the car once, it had been years since she heard it. Just truly a beautiful piece.

Comment

Poseidan: That is a lovely story you told about your mother. I know what it can be like.
                  The sheer energy and vitality is astonishing. Beethoven's Sonata's are the Greatest ever to be composed. Like a tall tree ever growing upwards and also go very deep within, always renewing themselves. It is difficult to explain what is happening to us when are listening to Beethoven's music because they are so profound and intimate.

Concerning Beethoven's perfomance of his Fourth Piano Concerto, at his music Akademie on 22nd Dec. 1808, Reichardt wrote; "A new Pianoforte Concerto [in G]
                  of monstrous difficulty, but which Beethoven played marvelously well in the quickest time. In the adagio, a masterpiece of beautiful, sustained melody,
                  he made the instrumet sing with deep pathos which went to my heart".

PS. Johann F. Reichardt, was Kapellmeister at Kassel.

[This message has been edited by lysander (edited March 29, 2003).]

Comment

P.S Next saturday I'm going to see a performance of Verdi's 'requiem.' I've never actually heard it before does anyone have any strong opinions on it?

Regards,
                    Michael.

That is called Verdi's "Greatest Opera." This is a very powerful and moving work--often depicting some of the horrors associated with the final judgement. Also, it is very lyrical. My favorite movement is the "Agnus Dei". Enjoy it! I am envious!

Comment

Someone had arranged 3 piano preludes of Debussy for orchestra. They sounded atrocious! I hate it when people arrange piano pieces for orchestra as it is a very hit and miss experience. There were some absolutely stunning Ravel pieces and a fabulous one by Hector Berlioz. But, of course, my favourite of the night was the Beethoven. I forget the name of the soloist but he was absolutely amazing and really entertaining to watch. Despite the fact it is not one of my favourite Beethoven pieces, I couldn't help but get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.

Sorry but I just thought I'd let you all know how much I enjoyed myself last night!

Regards,
                      Michael.

Thanks a lot
                      You lucky soul! Which Berlioz was played? I am rather curious (as a big fan of his music). I think the 4th concerto is perhaps the most underrated of all the piano concerti written.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                        You lucky soul! Which Berlioz was played? I am rather curious (as a big fan of his music). I think the 4th concerto is perhaps the most underrated of all the piano concerti written.
                        I'm dreadfully sorry I can't remember! A lot of the people who went with me got programs though so I'll ask them what it was called and let you know I think it was based on King Lear or something, but it was certainly a very enticing piece. I can't blieve I don't know what it was called! Oh well I will find out honestly!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                          I think the 4th concerto is perhaps the most underrated of all the piano concerti written.
                          To be honest, I'd never had it in high regard until last night. It really made me sit up and realise that it was just as good as the Emperor and the rest. I also think that the 1st Piano Concerto in C is extremely underrated. I know it is nothing of vast importance, but still it is a very pretty and lyrical piece.

Regards,
                          Michael.

Comment

I also think that the 1st Piano Concerto in C is extremely underrated. I know it is nothing of vast importance, but still it is a very pretty and lyrical piece.
                            I agree, the 1st is pretty and fun (for want of a better word). The first movement reminds me of Mozart.

Comment

I've sort of already seen it once before. I was in the middle of the orchestra! I played the contrabassoon part in the finale, which was an absolutely stunning experience. Its just that, whilst playing, you're so busy concentrating on the notes you're playing (particularly in the 'Allegro energico, sempre ben marcato' section. Bassoon 2, Contrabassoon and low strings go absolutely mad at this place, and playing such a clumsy instrument as the contrabassoon is quite an arduous task!) that you forget to pay attention to the sheer beauty of what is surrounding you. that's why I want to actually watch it, to get a flavour of what it's like sitting in the audience.

Regards,
                              Michael.
                              How exciting for you to be an actual part of it! I can understand why you would want to be in the audience and enjoy it from that view. Hope you get to see it!!

Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X